Poll: Your Father's Vote

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
My Dad died when I was 5, so I have no knowledge of his politics.

I vote pretty much the same as my Mom did, though.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Yeah, it is, actually, and only because it makes so much logical sense.

Voting time comes around, both my dad and I go like this: "...so, when are we moving to Canada again?"

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Given that me and my father are have very opposing beliefs, I would assume no. Although because I cut contact with him several years ago, I don't know for sure.
He's a Freemason, and I'm a staunch Atheist who doesn't believe in the existence of "supreme beings".

As for my mother. She's a careworker, and as I can't stand looking after people (I'm not all that good at looking after myself after all), I'm not all that much like her either. Nor do I vote like her.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
My father and I live in different countries (hell, in different hemispheres), so that's not possible. We do vote for similar ideologies, though. Not sure how to vote.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Most of the time. I usually try and gather up information about the people I'm voting for beforehand so I vote with a clear mind and the way my father and I think are so similar that it usually goes that way.

The only difference was when Obama was running against Hilary in the primaries. He voted for Hillary and voted for Obama. He didn't think NY would vote for the black guy over the ex-president's wife. I voted for who I wanted to win.

Sometimes, people surprise you. :D

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Nope.
I don't vote via 'party'.

I vote via 'who seems to agree with me more/gonna go the better job'.

Most of the time this means I don't vote at all.
:(

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No.

My family encourages voting for what you want based on the issues. There are certainly times where my vote has matched my dad's though.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
No idea. I don't take voting seriously anyway. One group of liars against another is the only truth in politics.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Kinda. I am registered Republican, which is what my dad votes, but I tend to lean more Libertarian (Ron Paul Libertarian not whatever the fuck Glenn Beck is.)

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Yes, because we vote based on our moral/political views, which are very similar, since I got them from my parents.

I've only voted twice though. Once, for EU seats, and again for the Swedish Elections.

The Keeper

Feb 19, 2009
The thing about my father is that he always votes for democratic politicians, even if he doesn't know what they stand for. Also, his liberal views usually only apply to financial issues. In terms of social issues, I'm the most liberal in my house.

Wekub

Mar 22, 2011
In...
...Norwegian politics: Probably not, but then again I'm not the most up-to-date when it comes to politics, I'm afraid, so I'm hardly sure about my own votes there.
...American politics (both US citizens too): Aye, I'd expect so. The options are fairly limited.

-
Kysafen said:
Anyone who puts their vote in the same political party solely because their parent(s) or any other authority figure voted for him/her without any regard to the actual politics and stances of the candidates is the most perfect and thorough example of a tool, incapable of independent thought or reason, useful only as an extension of someone else's identity.
I doubt he/she meant "do you vote for X 'cause your father does?". 'Twas "do your votes happen to go to the same candidate(s)?" And it's possible to agree with your father without choosing whatever he does.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Hmm well I don't know my father too well like that since my parents divorced, he was never a very political guy to be honest.

TestECull said:
I will vote if a candidate comes by that is 75-85% peddling what will help the country and isn't a lying, shit-slinging ape only in the race for a bit of power and a fortune of tax dollars. Someone like, say, FDR. Like him or not he did wonders for America, genuinely improved it, saw it through the worst economy crash it's experienced so far, and got re-elected TWICE. I'd vote for him.
Erm he got re-elected 3 times if you don't count his first election. He was re-elected 1945 or 44 I forget which but he died shortly after. This was of course inspiration to make an amendment that puts a cap on the number of terms you can get (which to me makes no sense, since it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal).

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I'm actually not old enough to vote, and I try to stay out of politics, but if I were going to vote, I'd probably pick whatever I agreed most with, as opposed to what my dad picks.

Though, my dad and I seem to share similar views on a lot of political issues, so maybe we would vote the same; but not intentionally.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I know my dad has voted at least once, when I was very very small. Since then, he hasn't voted and I have never voted since I became of age. I've always ripped up my voting card thingy.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know what party he votes for. Nor do I care. We keep our political leanings out of any conversation. For all I know the rest of my family could all vote for the BNP.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Me and my dad share similar views, im just not quite as far right as he tends to be.

So we tend to vote on the same stuff (when i'm eligible to vote {next june})