Poll: Your feelings on the Devil May Cry Series

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
If I live for 100 years and travel across every inch of the civilized world, I will never understand why people like Devil May Cry. From the word "go" I was put off by the lead's whole "bad-ass" or "wise-ass" or "just-an-ass" style. It boggles my mind that he's become an icon of gaming. I'd rather listen to Daxter recite "The Wasteland."

the game itself was immediately one of the least engaging experiences of my life. Aside from the fact that switching between melee and guns just didn't work, the game was ludicrously unbalanced. No, I don't mean it was HARD. I mean it was FUCKED.

only Japan could have an idea like "giant spider made of lava" and then make it not cool.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
The first one was pretty awesome.
The second one was meh.
The third one was even better than the first.
The fourth was offensively boring.

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
i never had any consoles so i only played the 4th (and 3rd with an emulator but i didn't have too much control over my char cuz of the keyboard constrolls)

the 4th also suffers from horrible PC controls but, gameplay wise i liked it a lot more :D,

( the story on the 3rd is way better)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If they were to completely replace all the visuals with something less stupid and remove the cutscenes and voiceovers, I could almost start to think about enjoying them.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
telocaster said:
Having never played a Devil May Cry game before, Is the series worth getting into? I know the collection is coming in April, is it worth checking out?
its coming out february 10th but yes it is worth getting for 1 and 3, never played 2 and 4 was ok (only because dante is a beast, if you erase nero from the equation and it would have been as good as the first game)

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I only played the 4th one, It wasnt all that great, i liked it even less when i had to play as Dante instead of Nero, that hand was pretty useful.

Jesus McChrist

Feb 18, 2010
My enjoyment of the series started and ended with with the first game, uppercutting an enemy with my sword and keeping them suspended in midair by filling them with bullets until they died.

I was pumped when I first got it, all I heard from my friends was how great the game was, but I didn't much care for it. The game was very pretty (at the time), and I appreciated the fact that it seemed very combo-based and required more thought and skill than mashing attack buttons, but nothing else about the game really impressed me.

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
It has the BEST gameplay, nothing compares to DMC, maybe Bayonetta.
DMC 3 and 4 are the best of the series.
In these games the gameplay is deep and complex, and most people don't see it at first, but check out these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-iC_FlsIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnbnqJSpj-Q&feature=related
Also, the music is a love or hate thing.
The PC ports are quite poor from what I've heard, but have special features (the turbo mode is quite good)

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
The fourth one is pretty blah, especially since they never bother to explain Nero. The first three rock though.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
DeadSp8s said:
DMC 1 was the shizzz. Start with 1. 2 sucked, 3 was good, 4 was OK.
Pretty much this. The first one is still one of the pivotal games of the PS2, the game that started the whole hack&slash craze that later brought things like god of war. The first game (and only the first) also had a very castlevania inspired theme both in game structure and appearance. It is something I have missed in all the others. There were numerous clones of DMC, but I think most of them (including many of the DMC sequels themselves) completely missed the point of what made those games entertaining. Aside from The original God of War (Pandora's tower in particular) none of the other hack&slashes ever really achieved the neat level design and how cleverly everything was so interconnected. DMC 2 was horrible, 3 was pretty good, and 4 was just disappointing, decent, but disappointing. I was expecting.. well, the same treatment God of war got on the PS3. Not as pretty, of course, but done with the same epic flair. There was certainly none of that, in fact I got the impression that the creators were very bored with the series while they made #4, and it turns out I am right considering they then handed it over to foreigners who are now making #5.

I seriously suggest - to anyone who wants to play them - to get the HD collection and play the first one and third one. The 1st one has better game elements, and the 3rd has an amazing story and interesting characters.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
NOTE: Possible spoilers coming, I may be too focused on writing this to warn you, so be careful reading this.

I love Devil May Cry. I was 10 years old when the first one came out, and when I played it, I fell in love with (in this order) Dante. Guy just oozed cool. To a 10 year old, this was the man I wish I could be. Then I fell in love with the gothic style. Wandering around a seemingly abandoned castle only to be attacked by crazed puppets and giant spiders? Hell yes!

When the second one came out, I raced to buy it. Played it, and was quite...Well, disgusted at what they'd done. There was no story (as far as I could tell) and Dante seemed to have swallowed a thousand lemons, judging by the scowl on his face. The gameplay was still alright, it had everything the first had, but it lacked the style and attitude it's predecessor had.

A good few years later, when the series was out of my mind, I was surprised to find a sequel. After reading the back, I decided it was worth a buy. That was the second greatest gaming decision I had made (the first being trying Metal Gear Solid 3.) The series had found it's feet. It had a well-told story that seemed to work well with the gameplay. I was 16 (I think) at the time, and in my teenage rebellious years, so Dante naturally appealed to me. To say I fell in love with this game is an understatement.

And so, with renewed vigour, I anxiously awaited the new one. I'd read that Dante wouldn't be the main protagonist and was cautiously excited. I was intrigued by the Devil Arm mechanic and finding out just who the hell Nero was and why he looked so similar to Dante. What I got though, was an admittedly good game (anyone who says otherwise is too spoiled by the others) but one that disappointed in a good few ways. We got nothing on Nero, to this day, the best we have is vague guesses (personally, I think he's Vergil's son, who had an obsession to be like his father, and thus sired a child...Or more?)

Dante - as always - made me giggle every time he was onscreen, he was so cool, but I had become so accustomed to Nero that he felt too heavy in my hands (if that made sense.)

I could tell you my feelings on the upcoming DmC, but I feel I could better explain by headbutting the keyboard.

And that basically ends my post on my love-affair with Devil May Cry. The way I see it, the earlier in life you play the game, the better it'll be. I'll admit that I come back to DMC1 and cringe at how cheesy it is, but I can't stop loving the game, because I'd fallen in love with it when I was 10 years old.

Also, as an added bonus, I was a very big fan of the Power Rangers as a young child, and learning DMC had numerous voice and motion actors that starred in the Power Rangers just made me feel that much closer to my childhood.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The first Devil May Cry was a revelation, a game that I played many times. Very challenging and gameplay style unique enough to feel completely brand new.

Devil May Cry 2 I never actually played, and can offer no judgment. I owned it, but the combination of lack of time and ill words spoken of it meant I didn't bother. The soundtrack for it was very well done that much I do know.

Devil May Cry 3 was a massive jump in quality over the second - and having never played the Special Edition version, I'm looking forward to giving Vergil a try.

Devil May Cry 4 was good, but due to the game suffering from Capcom's game extending tactics the worst of the lot, the replay value diminished extremely quickly. That said, Dante was a whole new level of fluid thanks to on the fly style shifts.

I'm looking forward to Devil May Cry 2012 a lot, although the gameplay trailers I've seen so far so extremely heavy use of the grappling hook - which concerns me. I will concede however that Nero's devil arm did make him any interesting fighter. Otherwise the combat looks extremely fluid and far surpasses any gripes with character change.

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
I played a little bit of the first one at a friend's house back when it first came out, hardly remember anything. I won DMC3 in the Steam Gift Pile though so I'll be giving that a go soon