Poll: Your opinions on RPG combat

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Anthraxus said:
LMAO. Wow, I never saw that shit. They REALLY tried to turn Dragon Age's combat into some over dramatic Hollywood type bullshit. What a nonsense.

Bioware, smh,you even make Bethsdurpia look good at this point. So sad to see what the great RPG genre has become.
If the fact the combat in their "RPG" resembles the Dragon Age [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG7_vmgLPUA&feature=related] anime [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHTlYQXoNc&feature=related] isn't a sign they need to seriously re-think things, I don't know what is.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Hard to decide, but probably first person for me
Although third person and wow clone combat is close up there
Not really one for turn based, but don't get me wrong, turn based combat can amuse me much, like in FF5 (I think 5 I don't know.)
Also multiple units, like Dragon Age Origins, oh that game was amazing

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
While I enjoy "action RPG" combat, a la KoA and ME, but I prefer the kind of turn-based real-time combat that KotOR, Dragon Age, and (to an extent) Baldur's Gate and the like used. Pause and command is nice, and there's nothing that makes me feel like a strategic genius like going from completely surrounded at the beginning of a battle to (after pause and carefully considered commands) standing waist deep in the corpses of the people trying to kill my party.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Depends on the game but for the most part turn-based combat (particularly the JRPG "let's all line up in neat rows and take turns" style) really annoys me. Same goes for first-person combat in a predominantly melee-based game (the Elder Scrolls style).

I could live with the pseudo-real time (but really turn based) combat in KOTOR and the like, but I much prefer the Dragon Age: Origins / Mass Effect third-person style.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
skywolfblue said:
I think it's one of the more silly complaints people use against DA2. Most of the time pushing a button did do something nifty, I don't know why people think that's a bad thing. Sure there were cases of going overboard, but on the whole I think it was a good idea.
Why is "button awesome" shorthand for all the terrible combat decisions in DA2?

In a nutshell.
It makes for an an amusing exaggeration, but it's not all that simplistic.

Kahunaburger said:
Button-mashing aside, I don't want something "awesome" to happen every time I hit a button in an RPG. "Awesome" things happening are only actually awesome if they're a reward for good gameplay. For instance, in the game I'm playing right now, Brogue, fire literally looks like this: ^^^^^, except red. But when you trap a powerful enemy in a burning room, it's satisfying because it's the result of using your resources in a creative way. If, on the other hand, my character does some kind of complicated ninja flip every time I mash A, it gets old quickly.
I disagree. I'd prefer more interesting attacks to boring ones. Now there do need to be a variety of animations for each attack so that it doesn't become old too quickly, and there is need for moderation, some are a little too over the top.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Although I enjoy turn based stuff, real time is always my prefered style of combat. Depending on the game 3rd or first person. I don't know why but for Skyrim/Oblivion First person is perfect but I can't see myself using it for another similar game, Amlur and ME both have really good camera control....wow, gone a little off topic here.

Going to go, 3rd person/hacky slashy type.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I like and have played all of those kinds of RPGs, the only one I don't like that much is third person.
I have no favorite really, it just depends on the kind of game.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
pretty much all of the above.

one's not really better then any other, it really boils down to what you like game play wise, and i've been around long enough to just not care about RPG combat if the STORY is there

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
It depends on the game. I do like action combat but I think real-time pausable or turn-based combat fits the RPG genre better. If an RPG has action combat it feels to me like the RPG is interrupted with an action sequence. In a turn-based system it's the character doing the moves, in an action system it's the player.

The worst case really is when a game can't decide whether to do tactical combat or action combat. DA2 was one of the worst offenders of this.
Another bad system is Bethesda's "Spam left button and pray". It doesn't have any interesting tactical decisions, nor does it require any skills of coordination from the player.

How come toolbars are considered a wow-clone? It's a nifty invention used in many types of games. Both Baldur's Gate and Minecraft have toolbars and I don't consider either of them a WoW-clone. :)

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Panicbox said:
So I've been replaying Final Fantasy X and pretty much realised I am in love with the combat system. I like being able to take the fight as fast or slow as I need to so I can actually plan what I'm going to do ahead of time.

But a lot of people seem to dislike turn based combat in all its forms. Or at least that's what one would be led to believe since it seems to have faded into disuse among modern RPGs.

At first I just wanted to know how many people actually DO like turn based combat, but now I'm more interested in the kind of combat people want to see in games. And I don't mean your favourite RPG. FFX's combat is my favourite, but it's not exactly my favourite RPG as a whole.

So let me know what you think. I apologise in advance for forcing you to generalise your favourite combat system into one of the poll options, feel free to expand on it in your post.
I think I agree a lot with you. FFX had a great combat system, from how you leveled up to how you fought.

That said I dont ONLY want those types of combat, sometimes I like Skyrim other days Amalure.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
skywolfblue said:
Kahunaburger said:
Button-mashing aside, I don't want something "awesome" to happen every time I hit a button in an RPG. "Awesome" things happening are only actually awesome if they're a reward for good gameplay. For instance, in the game I'm playing right now, Brogue, fire literally looks like this: ^^^^^, except red. But when you trap a powerful enemy in a burning room, it's satisfying because it's the result of using your resources in a creative way. If, on the other hand, my character does some kind of complicated ninja flip every time I mash A, it gets old quickly.
I disagree. I'd prefer more interesting attacks to boring ones. Now there do need to be a variety of animations for each attack so that it doesn't become old too quickly, and there is need for moderation, some are a little too over the top.
But is the difference between an interesting attack and a boring attack an animation, or the ability to actually do something interesting in the context of the game mechanics?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Action game style, the rest just feel horribly antiquated.

Im really interested to see where the current trend goes next, KOA took what Fable and DA2 did and tried improving on it, but they were only partially succesful and get the balancing completely wrong.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
FYI, Ability bars + "click your enemy once and let the PC do the rest" has been around a shit ton longer than WoW has.

Personally I like FPS mechanics for RPG's but thats simply because I prefer FPS mechanics in most games; It's my favoured combat mechanic. So, really, the question you've asked isn't really the question you've asked

You ask "How do you prefer your RPG combat?" but really the question boils down to "How do you prefer your combat?"; the RPG bit is largely irrelevant.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Technically... the Bethesda RGPs are third person too. It's just one button press away...

I seem drawn to thrid person RPGs for some reason. I'd rather save the FPS to the shooting games. In a third person RPG you can always appreciate the character you've worked so hard to build :p

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I LOVE turn-based combat... in turn-based strategy games.

In RPG's, I'll go for the instant gratification of Bethesda games, thanks.