Poll: Your own life - Or ten strangers lifes?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
1st John 3:16

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Logically, more is more, your one life couldn't add up to amount of things done by ten other people generally. Since they're strangers you have no reference for what they could do, they could be very important professionally to many people. Even more so if factor the amount family and friends. So logically, a person would let themselves die accordingly. Though you could also do nothing or save the ten strangers.

Interestingly, my captcha is "Fouly Effective"

Demodeus

Sep 20, 2010
Depends on what kind of persons they are and how they behave towards me.
If they say go ahead and kill yourself I wouldnt do it, if they asked for it, I would.

Seraniel

Jan 26, 2011
I think i would most likely kill myself, i dont think i could live with having murdered 10 people even if they where complete strangers.

would a be a bit sucky if i had kill 10 people so i could live. and shortly after commit suicide.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
With no knowledge of who the strangers are its hard to say, I could be killing 10 doctors, and by that, indirectly killing loads of people they could have possibly saved. Then again I could be killing 10 serial killers. Without knowing either way for sure I'd probably kill them, because I know for sure I'm not a mass murderer... Although I would be after this... Shit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
lacktheknack said:
tellmeimaninja said:
lacktheknack said:
tellmeimaninja said:
EDIT: Let's see how many "selfless" liars and/or naive people we have.
Eh? I'd sooner die painlessly than kill ten people horribly. Don't be cynical.

Just because you haven't come to terms with death and are incredibly selfish doesn't mean everyone else is the same.
Yeah. I'm a total scumbag. We should burn me to death.
I hope you're not implying I said or meant that, because I didn't.
Dammit, man, if you're going to kill me, then just do it already! Don't toy with me or I'll set off the bombs and kill us both!
Well, that went hilariously surreal, but quick.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Er... I'm somewhere in the middle. Would either reluctantly kill myself or reluctantly kill them. It depends how brave I am at the moment, what kind of people they are (I would obviously ask them), how they would behave towards me e.t.c.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Russian_Assassin said:
My personal RUTHLESS whims MOOHAHA! But yeah, I am just stating my opinion on this matter. The question was if I consider myself more important than 10 strangers. My answer was yes and in my defense I stated that I do believe in the "sacrifice few for the good of the many" ideology, however only if it concerns large numbers of people.

10 people are insignificant in my eyes. 10.000 however are a whole different story.
So by what criteria do you establish what is significant versus insignificant in this case?

duct tape guardian

Nov 8, 2010
if the choice was forced then I would kill them, simply because I have no actual connection to them. for all I know they are actually a video screen that has been prerecorded as well as their death, otherwise I would attempt to find a third option, like the person said, attempt communication and whatnot.

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
I genuinely do not now.

One one hand, killing them results in -9 (-10+1) lives, whereas killing myself results in +9.

On the other hand, I don't think I could make a conscious decision to kill myself. I'm not even talking like I wouldn't want lay down my life, I just don't think I could.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'd probably go kicking and screaming, but since I =/= Ten People who probably have loving families and meaningful lives, and while I have a meaningful life, I would let my own life come to an end. Plus, the way I die seems pretty painless compared to those of the strangers death (Fire vs. Needle, Needle is most of the time gonna be less painful)

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
The strangers die, I feel like crap later and during.

1 line of questioning.
Why is it 10 men? Why not a mixture of men and women? Would that really skew(sic) the results?

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
TWRule said:
Which are based on what principles...?
The majority of my ideologies and beliefs are the product of over thinking and introspection. I have pondered about the significance of human life before and I reached a certain conclusion as to what the "balance" is (how many lives is my own life worth etc). My principles are strictly personal. I wouldn't say they are the same as the ones of the society I live in.

I do not act according to a moral codex. I don't really believe in the usefulness of morality. Labeling good or bad is only done for the convenience of the one that labels. I'm not a cynic however so I still can base my decisions on feelings. I guess if one of those strangers had moved me emotionally, I would have chosen the option where I die. But that is a small probability, since I can be a selfish jerk when it comes to surviving.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Bye bye 10 random people!

I'd feel shit for it, but I do value my life over a strangers anyday.

To expand; I have my own family (a Daughter) and even though they might too, and I'd feel crap for it, my child, my family, is more important to me than theirs.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Our way of life already kills a lot of people, in poorer countries. What's ten more stangers?

I will live, and they will die.