Poll: Your Pet is Drowning, and so is a Stranger.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:
Its a person... there isn't a choice here. Even if I'd rather save my pet.
you may say that, but id definitely save my cat. and you know what? if i was the person drowning, and someones pet was drowning, id completely understand if they chose the pet over me, because i know the bond a person and their pet can have. there is a choice, just because you think one option is wrong, you shouldnt say "there isnt a choice".

Mr_Universal

Jun 29, 2009
I love my dog, I don´t love the stranger...But who knows until you are actually faced with the decision?

jordanredd

Aug 27, 2012
Mikejames said:
I realize I probably shouldn't get this worked up over a hypothetical, but it bothers me. I would have thought the choice was simple hypothetical or no, but people are claiming indifference to a stranger's life as opposed to their pet's. An animal that wouldn't realize or care if someone died so it could live.
Right now, at this very moment, thousands of children are dying of starvation. It is a slow, agonizing death - very painful. You can literally save hundreds of them RIGHT NOW; all you have to do is sell every luxury item you own. Sell your house, your car, your computer, and everything that is not absolutely critical to your bare survival. Then collect all of that money, as well as every penny of your savings, and donate it to charity. All of those children will live. If you do not do this, they will die.

So now show us a picture of your bare tent which you have moved into on the cheapest piece of land in Kansas, having given up everything you own to save these poor children. If you haven't done so, well then...

HOW can you be so indifferent to a stranger's life? How can you possibly value your own selfish pleasure over the lives of innocent children?

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Angry_squirrel said:
I'd appreciate it if you didn't mock me. I don't see why you're asking this question if you're not willing to hear the other side of the argument.
I didn't mock you; I joked about letting a politician drown. I ignored the question as a whole because a question nearly identical to it has already been asked and answered.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I'd say human life is more valuable than a pets life, considering the woman is 20-30 that might be like 60+ years of life after saving, while most pets live around 10-20 year? I dunno, I have no pets. After checking it's about 20 for cats, and only 13-16 for dogs. So yes, even if my fake nonexisting dog/cat (most likely dog) was drowning next to a stranger, I'd go for that young woman.

This will never happen ofcourse, because all my imaginary pets can swim like sharks.
SHARKDOG

jordanredd

Aug 27, 2012
Angry_squirrel said:
Pandabearparade said:
I'd appreciate it if you didn't mock me. I don't see why you're asking this question if you're not willing to hear the other side of the argument.
Because he didn't create the poll to learn anything. He created it to feed his own sense of moral superiority and wag his finger at all of us maladjusted, immature children who disagree.

omeganumeric

Mar 13, 2012
I know that the appropriate/right choice is to go for the woman. But were I in the situation, I'd go for my dog. I love her, so if I saw her in trouble I wouldn't even stop to think.

I am a good swimmer though, so I'd certainly go for both of them were it actually happening.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I would save the person, regardless of gender or age. I love my pet, but I wouldn't be able to let another person die because of it.

I know that this person would be a total stranger and that I don't have any emotional ties to them, but my instinctual reaction would be to save them.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
I'm quite fond of my cat, but I would always value my pet less than another human life.

I have a base inequality that goes a little something like this:
Animals < Humans

It is my opinion that you shouldn't elevate animals or de-value humans to the point you make them equal on a one-to-one ratio, and that is the principal to which I will adhere. I'm not so selfish as to let my own personal relationships with the subjects interfere with the judgement at hand.

I save the stranger.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Mr_Universal said:
I love my dog, I don´t love the stranger...But who knows until you are actually faced with the decision?
Exactly what I was thinking. I can't know until I'm put in that moment. My logical brain says "Save the human life." but I love my dog, and love can crush logic in an instant.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pandabearparade said:
to admissions that their own feelings trump the feelings of the friends and family of the human being who is going to die due to their action (or inaction).
Oh wow. The feelings of the person making the decision trump the feelings of people not there? How horrible! This logic could be applied to people, even. Would you still be disgusted if someone chose to save their friend over a stranger?

a fairly liberal audience (you guys)

Considering the conservative point of view is to let millions of people die, rather apathetically, for their own needs, I'm not sure any conservative pundit has any right to speak while championing basic sociopathy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
monkey_man said:
I'd say human life is more valuable than a pets life, considering the woman is 20-30 that might be like 60+ years of life after saving, while most pets live around 10-20 year? I dunno, I have no pets. After checking it's about 20 for cats, and only 13-16 for dogs. So yes, even if my fake nonexisting dog/cat (most likely dog) was drowning next to a stranger, I'd go for that young woman.

This will never happen ofcourse, because all my imaginary pets can swim like sharks.
SHARKDOG
True story: My brother's cat was named Jaws. So I always did the theme from the movie when she was stalking stuff.

Sharkkitteh!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bullet_sandw1ch said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Its a person... there isn't a choice here. Even if I'd rather save my pet.
you may say that, but id definitely save my cat. and you know what? if i was the person drowning, and someones pet was drowning, id completely understand if they chose the pet over me, because i know the bond a person and their pet can have. there is a choice, just because you think one option is wrong, you shouldnt say "there isnt a choice".
But isn't that the sum of internet arguments? :p

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I don't consider any life greater than another. A human life isn't more important than an animal life and vice versa. I will save that which I like more.

I like my dog over a random stranger.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure here that choosing to save the pet over the person would make you criminally liable if you're found out. On those grounds alone it has to be the stranger.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Pandabearparade said:
imahobbit4062 said:
You're calling us monstrous for wanting to save something we love over a complete stranger.
It's. A. Dog. Yes, you're a monster if you pick the dog. You're further demonstrating a lack of understanding of any sort of morality by asserting that the dog is equivalent to a mother. It's not.
I don't give A shit if it's Just. A. Dog. you can suck a fat one because I raised my dogs from just months old to 12 years old and 8 years old, And I will raise 4 months old. They are a part of my family as much as my sister. Calling me a monster for saving an important part of my family really won't do anything, because it's my family and you can suck a fat one for calling anyone a monster for doing the same.