Poll: Your Pet is Drowning, and so is a Stranger.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Kirex said:
legendp said:
YOU DON'T need to be a robot to consider the consequences of your actions, Have you ever loss someone close? had that emptiness, now imagine what that would be like for someone else loosing someone, Now I love my dog, I would give up my car, my computer and risk my life for the dog but you cannot compare the suffering from the loss of a dog to the loss of a human. Imagine this (ridiculous theory), imagine if your dog was dying and the only way to save them was by killing someone and stealing there organs would you do that, what if the person drowning was an 8 year old girl, would you still choose your dog, I mean they're a stranger...

I would consider someone who chose there dog over a human more of a robot, they chose the easier way to help themselves, out of there own desires, that sounds more robotic than someone who sacrificed something very dear to them in order to rescue a strangers life.
I think it's really bold to judge an action of others when they don't have nearly as much time to think about it as you. It's a short-term-emotional reaction, I'm talking about seconds here. How in gods name do you expect someone under pressure to act rationally? I think we've all done stupid things when having to decide quick. Of course, the consequences of this situation are much more severe, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still the same basic problem. Is saving the pet egotistical? Yes, quite. But you still can't hold someone responsible for that. Sometimes people don't have time to overthink consequences and that's where emotions like that come in.

Also, what does the age matter when saving a person? You're basically saying that an 8-year-old is worth more than a woman in her late twenties,(because apparently imagining an 8-year-old as the human should change my opinion more easily now) which is pretty questionable if you ask me.

And no, a robot is made to evaluate things only logically, which is why he should always save the human. In almost no scenario would he save the puppy.
Did you purposely not quote my whole paragraph to twist my words, after I finished the sentence about the 8 year old girl I said the age shouldn't matter. I was saying the same as you but making the point that if the poll had asked between your dog and an 8 year old girl than I think the poll would read differently. I managed to come up with these thoughts in 20 seconds, (the time it would take you to swim towards them), this is more than enough time to consider what you are about to do and how it will affect others as long as you keep your head screwed on straight and don't freak out, which shouldn't be hard to do. Like I said I love my pet but I would pick the stranger, It could be you out there drowning after all

In terms of the Robot, I was saying because the robot was choosing the option that benefited itself, The robot would choose the efficient easy way because it has no emotions and does not care about consequences of it's actions, The human would choose the painful sad option but ultimately right (I would hope), save the human. because a Human is capable of understanding there actions and emotional consequences on others, A robot is not.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
clippen05 said:
omicron1 said:
Candidus said:
omicron1 said:
Huh. There do indeed seem to be more people concerned with puppies than with people. Who'd've thought it.

Human. First. Always.
I really don't understand this point of view. Surely, turning on a member of your own tribe, human or not, is the greater betrayal. I'm not phrasing that as a question, I'm just saying it.

I owe nothing to another human being by virtue of the fact that they are human. What the hell kind of reason is that to betray a loved one? I'm a disciplined man. I almost drowned once off the coast of cornwall because the water was cold and I was skinny and unfit. Even remembering that, I reject the selfishness involved in hoping that others will (in general) turn on their own for me. They shouldn't.

Either people who would are as cold as vipers (unlikely given the tone of most of these responses), OR they have an ambient love for other people that I just have no concept of; as though they're able to see another colour and think it's just the most natural thing in the world.

Well I don't see whatever it is that you see. You're in the minority, actually.

Tribe. First. Always.
My reasoning is simple: Human life is worth infinitely more than animal/plant life. No matter what close relation you may feel for your pet, the drowning person is a person. That is an overriding factor in the decision.
I think you've summed up everything I wanted to say in just a few short words. You win 5 internetz
You can another 5 internetz on there, the life and experiences, the things a human being will do in there life, the emotions they have and people they care about is worth more as hard as it can be to admit, you should choose the person.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Pandabearparade said:
Do I have your permission to join a debate club, Slayer? :D
NO!... Kidding, but only if we see a bit of improvement with your walking-thesaurus skills :p

LifeCharacter said:
Would you prefer that he just repeat the arguments other people have made, again?
Honestly, yes. Better than a "I'm right, you're wrong" answer with fancy wording. Or he could just say "read the other arguments", or even quote them, if time permits. Or just ignore me, if he must.

In case you haven't noticed, people have provided actual arguments in support of the pet option only to be coutnered with remarks about how your own species should always take precedence (except, of course, when it comes to all those fun video games and such that we buy instead of food for the starving.)
That's all great, but I believe I've addressed most of those points earlier on. In case you missed it, let me answer them again.

So, which argument would you like to respond to?
All of them, thank you.

1. Some of us view pets as family members and strangers as well, strangers. Since most people would choose their mother or brother or sister over a stranger, why is choosing what we consider a family member morally wrong?
I respond with another hypothetical scenario. A wacko breaks into your home, he has a gun with one round and a suicide vest. He threatens to shoot either your dog or your, say, mother (or any other family member you love and respect). If you do not choose, he will set off a suicide vest and kill all of you. The one you choose will be shot in the brain, and he will flee the scene. What do you choose? The answer should be obvious. The problem with this argument is that it does not take the degree of attachment you might have to a "family member". If your dog dies, you might be sad a week or two, but you'll recover quickly, and likely buy a new dog soon. No matter what the pro-pet group may say, your dog does not really have as much value as a family member. If your mother is shot, you can't just grieve a few days and then go buy a new one a month later.

2. If saving my pet is so inhumanly selfish that it means that all of humanities problems are my fault, why is buying video games, movies, and all other sorts of luxury goods instead of buying food for the poor so acceptable?
This argument is flawed because of the different scenarios (indirect vs. direct). Donating all your money to charities MAY help someone, or it may go to pay charities overhead costs. There is also the fact that you are likely never going to see the benefits of your help, where as I'm sure most people would be very grateful for you saving them, and express it to your face. Also, with no entertainment of any kind, many humans would become depressed and possibly kill themselves or cause injury to themselves intentionally. Think I'm exaggerating, imagine if I took anything fun out of your life that costs even a cent, would you really want you keep living? I'm not saying don't donate, I'm saying if you're gonna do it, you don't need to give away everything you own. You don't need to be so extreme, you can have fun and still help the world at the same time, it's not black or white. Also, you CAN save this guy from drowning, you can NOT fix the entire world. Hell, you can't even put a dent in our problems, but does that mean you shouldn't try to some extent?

3. Your morality isn't the one universal truth. Since you can't claim the majority, you can't claim that your morals are representative of the whole of human morality. And no, claiming that morality is subjective does not mean that I believe that rapists and murderers are acceptable because they also don't have the majority.
No it is not, and I don't usually enjoy preaching it. But this has made me feel physically ill, and the fact that most of the people here have complained about "the state of humanity these days" doesn't help. I'd also like to point out that a poll with less than 1500 voters is a small, small demographic. And although there is no nice way to say this, it is possible there are a lot of mentally challenged people, and people with a less than average amount of friends and social skills, hence they may relate to and love a pet more than the average person, while disliking strangers more. If you're obsessed with the majority, it is likely that most people would save the human, although you'd have to do a polling of a wider demographic to get a better scope of things. No matter how much you may love your pet, do you really think watching someone drown (and not helping them) is going to be easily forgotten? Drowning is NOT a peaceful way to go, you will remember the event for decades to come and you WILL find your nightmares haunted by the images of it, if you have any semblance of a conscious. Where as if I ran over a dog in my car, I'd feel bad, but not for long, and I doubt I'd have more than a few dreams about it. And that's me directly killing it, not just letting it drown. How would you feel if you ran over a human?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
clippen05 said:
omicron1 said:
Candidus said:
omicron1 said:
Huh. There do indeed seem to be more people concerned with puppies than with people. Who'd've thought it.

Human. First. Always.
I really don't understand this point of view. Surely, turning on a member of your own tribe, human or not, is the greater betrayal. I'm not phrasing that as a question, I'm just saying it.

I owe nothing to another human being by virtue of the fact that they are human. What the hell kind of reason is that to betray a loved one? I'm a disciplined man. I almost drowned once off the coast of cornwall because the water was cold and I was skinny and unfit. Even remembering that, I reject the selfishness involved in hoping that others will (in general) turn on their own for me. They shouldn't.

Either people who would are as cold as vipers (unlikely given the tone of most of these responses), OR they have an ambient love for other people that I just have no concept of; as though they're able to see another colour and think it's just the most natural thing in the world.

Tribe. First. Always.
My reasoning is simple: Human life is worth infinitely more than animal/plant life. No matter what close relation you may feel for your pet, the drowning person is a person. That is an overriding factor in the decision.
I think you've summed up everything I wanted to say in just a few short words. You win 5 internetz
Then you draw a distinction I don't between people and animals. I haven't seen the hand-held scanner that gives a different "value" reading when you hover it over a person than it does when you hover it over a dog. Until somebody shows me something THAT concrete as proof that human beings are more valuable than anything else, I'll go on making no distinction.

The value of anything to me is in direct proportion to the quality of its relationship with me (or its value to others who are connected to me). If you're not of my tribe and the OP's scenario is afoot, you're just plain out of luck.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Enizer said:
i think i just realized something, this is a debate between animal lovers, like me, who instinctively see pets as their children, i know i treat and think of my cat, as if he were my son.
is that good or bad? i have no clue, i do not get to choose my instincts though...

and on the other side, are people not AS attached to their pets, or people who dont have pets, and therefore dont understand the feelings pet lovers have towards their pets

the two groups will likely never understand each other, as the deciding factor is an experience that is not shared by both sides
No it's not a debate between pet lovers and other people, you are making a huge assumption there that is wrong (as far as I am concerned). I love my pet a lot, and would be very sad and mournful, but I relies as much as it will hurt for my pet to die that a human life is worth more, No mater how much I love my pet or wish that they didn't die. I would try to save both though (as a have already said on page 23 through to page 26 somewhere), however if I had to choose It would be the human

The results like these make me wonder if all those ridiculous news shows have a point, are we being desensitized and not caring about people anymore, placing human life so lowly, think of all your experiences and remember other people have had experiences just like you, think if you where you out there. your cat is not a child, when it dies you will be incredibly sad bit no where near as sad as someone who has lost a friend or brother or mother.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Slayer_2 said:
The presumptuousness and self-righteousness has reached a new high in this thread with this post. Just based on the fact that you attribute the poll results to the possibility that "there are a lot of mentally challenged people' that have participated lets me safely assume that I, at least, have much more life experience and social ability than you.

I'm not going to go over my thoughts on this ridiculous topic again, but if you're interested, there are quite a few posts I've made here that summarize how I feel (which you should be, because my values are absolute and if you don't agree with them, you're mentally disabled). If not, suffice it to say, that I completely disagree with you. Again, the presence of such moral self-importance and arrogance here is astounding.

edit: I should grade you on your debate skills, Slayer. I doubt you would even get the 3 out of 15 that you gave to your opponent.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
legendp said:
your cat is not a child, when it dies you will be incredibly sad bit no where near as sad as someone who has lost a friend or brother or mother.
But so long as it's a stranger, who cares? Their pet needs a couple more years a lot more than those other people need their relative.

...I'm still in awe that some people actually think this is a defensible position.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
DRes82 said:
Again, the presence of such moral self-importance and arrogance here is astounding.
Saving a dog over a person is astounding. People are being arrogant because it's pretty obviously selfish and immoral to pick your attachment to an animal over the attachment of a family to their relative.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Candidus said:
clippen05 said:
omicron1 said:
Candidus said:
omicron1 said:

Human. First. Always.

Tribe. First. Always.
Then you draw a distinction I don't between people and animals. I haven't seen the hand-held scanner that gives a different "value" reading when you hover it over a person than it does when you hover it over a dog. Until somebody shows me something THAT concrete as proof that human beings are more valuable than anything else, I'll go on making no distinction.

The value of anything to me is in direct proportion to the quality of its relationship with me (or its value to others who are connected to me). If you're not of my tribe and the OP's scenario is afoot, you're just plain out of luck.
So if it is a choice between a million people and your pet you will still choose the pet right because those people are not part of your "tribe", Like I said many times before I love my dog and would risk my life for it, but does your pet have aspirations like going to school, university. and many other things, do you think your dog is worth more than your own life, do you think there emotions and feelings are more complex and valuable than yours. pets can love and care people and they should not be ignored but at the same time they cannot be compared to the life and experiences of a person. even if I have to break it down to mathematics, human life 40+ more years, pets life maybe 10+ years if you need solid measurable equations, as sad as it is to break it down that way. A person will go out and meet other people, they could potential deeply affect 100s of people in there life, your pet will probaly just sleep in your back yard enjoying your company, now thats not a bad thing but cannot be compared to a person

Edit 1 (also on next page)
I would like to add

Is a fly as valuable as a dog
Is a fish as valuable as a dolphin
Is bacteria as valuable as a bird

The answer is a no, just the same as a dog life is not as valuable as a person, and if you think otherwise than (imo considring people will complain if I don't say that) you are being selfish and immoral, and just as you are allowed to argue your opinion I am allowed to argue mine and point out flaws in yours. If you don't want that to happen than don't post . And before someone ses that it is just different values I'm sure a murderer could say the same thing, there was that guy recently who killed dozens of people in hitlers name recently. Now I am not saying you people are murderers but you need to consider the consequences of you actions. There is a reason why saving your pet over a human would be frowned on, because that was not the right cause of action

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Pandabearparade said:
DRes82 said:
Again, the presence of such moral self-importance and arrogance here is astounding.
Saving a dog over a person is astounding. People are being arrogant because it's pretty obviously selfish and immoral to pick your attachment to an animal over the attachment of a family to their relative.
Not getting into it with you again, Panda. I'm not even irritated about the topic at hand, and you know that. What bothers me is the intolerance of differing values.

Spartan Altego

Aug 7, 2012
Meaning of Karma said:
You know, I'm just a little speechless at the poll results.

Although, I suppose it's to be expected, seeing as how a lot of people who hang around this site seem to be angsty teens/young adults who think that it's super cool to be a bitter and cynical "misanthrope".
Oh, generalizations and assumptions made by those who come across as having a smug sense of superiority. How I love thee. Thanks for not actually putting any input in for the thread.

On topic: Hell yes, I'm going to save my cat/dog/whatever. It has significantly more value to me than any stranger has to me. If I had time to make a decision, my sense of morality would likely push me towards saving the stranger. (Although I'm going to seriously berate them for not knowing how to fucking swim.) In a split-second decision though, the pet always wins out.

Call me a monster or sociopath or whatever you feel like calling me. I chose something I cared about over something I don't care about. It's that simple and anything else is simply you trying to demonize me for making a choice. You can argue that human life is more sacred and valuable than animal life but I'm sure the animals would disagree. Life is life. It only has as much value as you put on it. (Cue the cries of "Burn him! Burn the demon!")

Granted if I was the one drowning and another person saved their cat, of course I'd be pissed. But I can be hypocrite. So there. :p

Pandabearparade said:
legendp said:
your cat is not a child, when it dies you will be incredibly sad bit no where near as sad as someone who has lost a friend or brother or mother.
But so long as it's a stranger, who cares? Their pet needs a couple more years a lot more than those other people need their relative.

...I'm still in awe that some people actually think this is a defensible position.
It's called having a difference in values. Of course it's defensible. And I'm not getting into one of those "My sense of morality is superior," debates some of the posters are fond of having. Because's that's just pointless.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
DRes82 said:
The presumptuousness and self-righteousness has reached a new high in this thread with this post. Just based on the fact that you attribute the poll results to the possibility that "there are a lot of mentally challenged people' that have participated lets me safely assume that I, at least, have much more life experience and social ability than you.

I'm not going to go over my thoughts on this ridiculous topic again, but if you're interested, there are quite a few posts I've made here that summarize how I feel (which you should be, because my values are absolute and if you don't agree with them, you're mentally disabled). If not, suffice it to say, that I completely disagree with you. Again, the presence of such moral self-importance and arrogance here is astounding.

edit: I should grade you on your debating skills, Slayer. I doubt you would even get the 3 out of 15 that you gave to your opponent.
Nice work twisting my words and making vague assumptions. Would you like a medal? I'd like you to point out where exactly I said that if you chose the dog you are mentally challenged? I said it's probable that there are more mentally challenged people (such as aspergers, autism, etc). Your hasty response of "lets me safely assume that I, at least, have much more life experience and social ability than you" does nothing to help your case, but in fact damages it further. You know nothing about me, and your assumptions are baseless, as is your stance.

How dare I act like a human's life is worth more than a dog! I should be shot, no, drawn and quartered! I think I know who I believe is the monster here, as do you. Of course I sound self-righteous, people who would choose the dog are people who deserve to drown, in my opinion. The world is better without scum like that. It's hard not to sound like I'm on a high horse when I'm talking with a bunch of borderline murderers. This argument is futile, and I suggest we waste no more time with it. Clearly you want to stick to your ideas of right and wrong and me to mine. Nothing will change. I have zero tolerance for this kind of thought, that an animal should be granted equal or better rights than a human, call me what you will.

LifeCharacter said:
I agree that I would choose my mother over my dog. That doesn't mean that I would choose someone else's mother over my dog. If you would choose a family member over a stranger, it seems perfectly reasonable to choose what I consider a close family member over a stranger. I don't know what relationship you have with your pets, or even if you have pets at all, so I'd appreciate if you didn't assume to know what my relationship with my pet is like.
You missed the point. Your dog is NOT A FAMILY MEMBER. Yes it lives in your home. Yes you see it almost every day. No you will not be nearly as effected if it dies (which it will in 10 years or so no matter what), no it does not share any blood with you. No it is not legally a family member. Terming it a family member makes people think that it's death will hit the same as a real member of your family, which (and let me assume this) is completely false.

Who says you have to donate your money to a charity? If you sold off all your luxury goods you could probably afford to go to some shithole in Africa and use your money to directly help them. And even if you do donate to a charity, wouldn't paying overhead costs mean that money that's not going to overhead thanks to you is now going where it needs to? While I will agree that it is generally a direct/indirect thing, that doesn't mean that the direct suddenly has magnitudes of importance over the indirect. If sacrificing most of your luxury goods to save someone from starving to death is extreme, why do you consider sacrificing a living thing that happens to be considered a family member by some and apparently a luxury good by others such an easy decision?
Really, and what "shithole in Africa" would you choose? Just pick a map up and throw a dart at it? Fact is, you couldn't do much to help directly. Neither could I. If they aren't already managing to eke out an existence, I'd give you a few days till you died or ran home. You might be able to improve living conditions, but the likelihood of you doing any good is minimal, more likely you're a burden.

As for donating to a charity, we're only human, we can't all be Jesus. Unless a person is faced with the result of their actions (or lack thereof), they are less motivated. I still donate, but I'm not gonna sell everything I own and donate it to the Red Cross. Be realistic. It's not black and white, you don't either have to be an evil human-killing dog saver, or a freaking white Gandhi, there are many shades between. Acting like it's either black or white is unrealistic and not too mature, either.

While the first half is assuming a bit much, I'll accept that it's incredibly probable most people would save the stranger over their pet. And again, my feelings about my pet are obviously different to yours. Since drowning is not a peaceful way to go, why is the pet's drowning such an easy thing to just gloss over? I've admitted that I would feel guilty after making my choice to let the stranger die; I made the selfish choice and I shouldn't feel good about that. But you know what helps to get over your guilt, your pet. What's gonna help you get over your pet violently drowning, the gratitude of the stranger, his family, and maybe the community for a relatively short time? And as for killing a dog, I'd probably feel worse than you about it, but killing a person would likely bring out more emotion from me. The thing is, that only applies if it's just some random dog. Here, we're talking about my dog.
Either way, I think you can agree that a poll of under 1,500 people from one tight-knit internet community is hardly indicative of the world as a whole. Plus I have a feeling that outside of 1st world countries (where pets are most common), you'd get much different answers.

Do you eat meat? Have you ever worn leather? Chances are you've consumed some animal products in your life. Now, have you been in a slaughterhouse before? Animals die all the time for us, yes they aren't your animal, but animals tend to have far, far less value to us than people. As they should. If your dog drowned, I think it'd be bad, but you WOULD recover in a few weeks, maybe even get a new one in a month or two. I'm sure the gratitude of humans would help ease the pain till it passes.

Say you backed over your dog, would you feel worse about that or if you ran your car into a stranger and pinned them against a telephone pole killing them minutes later.

Have you ever seen a human die? I hope not, you don't want to. You will NEVER get it out of your mind until you lose your memory from Alzheimers or die. I didn't even directly or indirectly cause a human death and it haunted me for years. If I'd let someone drown, even indirectly to save my dog... I'd shoot myself. You wouldn't sleep properly for months, years maybe, every few hours it'd pop into your mind and ruin your whole day. Nothing would be as enjoyable again. Even thinking about it now is bad enough, and it's been 6 years. It's easy to sterilize it, trivialize it, say it happens every day. But those words won't stop your nightmares.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Sad fact of the matter is my dog as much as I love him is getting up there in age and he wont be around too much longer. No matter how I shake it losing him is gonna be tragic and terribly depressing either way, but instinctively I know I'd dive in and try to save the stranger. All in all though im not the best swimmer so I might end up drowning in the process.

Someperson307

Dec 19, 2008
I feel like the OP just made this thread because he knew people would have views that didn't line up with his, and he wanted a reason to ***** about that.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
LifeCharacter said:
But you know intimate details about each one of us and everything you said that seemed an awful lot like an assumption was just you gifting us with the absolute truth we were unable to realize about ourselves.
Really, when did I say I knew intimate details about anyone? I just said that it is likely that there are less social people, which is a fair assumption given the location. Oh, and I assumed your dog is less important than your mother, that was really a long stretch. If I was wrong about that, then arguing with you would be pointless.

I believe you're confusing your side of the argument with ours. We haven't labeled our opponents monsters, immature, (possibly) mentally retarded, scum, and so on.
You haven't done so only because you are the monsters. Hard to label someone inhumane for supporting saving human life. Also, I didn't say mentally retarded, stop twisting my words. I said mentally challenged, mostly referring to disorders which would effect social ability and cause a stronger bond to form with their animal (since that requires no social skills).

So... where's the gray when disagreeing with you earns us all a lot in the inhuman scum slot on the morality scale?
The grey would be you saving the human but feeling terrible about the dog. Or saving the human and being a horrible person otherwise. Or saving the dog but blowing your brains out due to guilt a few weeks later. And I don't care about you disagreeing with me, feel free to do that till the cows come home. But if you save the dog and let the human die, you deserve the same fate. "Do unto others as you would have done to yourself".

I don't know if you just consider assumptions based upon your personal experience and feelings as fact, but they're not. You may not be traumatized by killing your own dog, but maybe I would be and I may be completely calm and unaffected by seeing someone die. Hell me and my brothers were joking about the oldest's flip flops and lack of a belt at my father's funeral, as people gave eulogies, because we didn't care. I know that doesn't equate to being calm in the face of death, but your personal experience doesn't equate to everyone else's either.
I'm interested as to how much "fact" you think there is in a discussion completely about morals and feelings. I'm also interested as to what facts you can present for either side of the argument. Of course it is just my opinions, and if you don't like them, screw off, see if I care. The only fact I see is that this thread has revealed a lot about inhabitants of these forums.

I'm gonna make another danged assumption and assume you didn't kill your father. Joking at a funeral doesn't equal killing someone, in fact, I've done the latter. Killing another human is inexcusable, not only in my eyes, but in the eyes of MOST of society (if that is the barometer of "rightness" you choose to go by). Letting a human die to save your dog is practically murder, just for a reason you consider good. If you honestly could feel calm and unaffected by seeing a human die, you scare me. And you are exactly the kind of person who I am against.

Either way, I think the one thing we can agree on is that this is going nowhere. I don't think you're gonna change your stance, nor am I. Is it worth it to you to continue?

Slade Sieger

Mar 18, 2010
I'd save my dog...

I know it makes me sound terrible, but to be fair, she saved me from a bear while I was taking a walk up north. I owe her one.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Slayer_2 said:
Most of the time an overuse of big words is a sure sign of a bad argument and/or arguing skills.
You know what the sign of "arguing skills" is? Actually having an argument. Let's proceed, shall we?

Slayer_2 said:
Instead of presenting a logical point, the person resorts to trying to sound intelligent by acting like a human thesaurus, but really comes across as senseless (or stuck up) to anyone who can see through it (this is debating 101, come on).
Is that the official term from debating 101? Stuck up and senseless? I assume you're familiar with the term ad hominem attack, as you're clearly a keen student of the art of the debate. I imagine, being familiar with that term, you understand why name calling is not a substitute for an argument.

Slayer_2 said:
However, I am not intimidated by your attempt to sound smart, rather I find it quite amusing, I've met more than a few of your type.
Or maybe you don't.

Slayer_2 said:
This isn't a legal document, it's an internet forum. For the fun of it, I've given your "rebuttals" gradings from 0 to 5. Higher is better.
I'm sorry, sir. I just finished reading your accusation about the proper presentation of logical points, and now you're off on a tangent about how this isn't a legal document so we don't need to be held to any kind of standard. I would recommend choosing a course and sticking with it, but I guess at the end it's up to you.

Slayer_2 said:
My argument appeals 100% to emotion? Are you kidding, we're talking about people who value their pets over other humans and ***** about the state of humanity. I'd point out that this topic is 100% based on human perceptions of what is right and wrong, which could be termed emotional, since it's rather hard to back up with facts (unless you count the ten commandments).
You're right, it's completely impossible to back up with facts. It's an illogical, emotional tirade. It's an attempt by one body of people to impose their values on another. Unless, of course, you're arguing that "right and wrong" are objective concepts, and that you and those who think like you get to be the arbiters of what constitutes "right and wrong".

Slayer_2 said:
Don't like it? Get lost, go find a geology debate instead. Grade: 2/5, at least you acknowledge that your first reply was laughable.
Who said I had an issue with the fact there cannot be an argument here? My entire argument from moment one is that YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT.

Slayer_2 said:
Nice job putting words in my mouth, since I never once claimed that I care about the common good, or the price of inaction.
Slayer_2 said:
Pretty much, there aren't many things more annoying than a hypocrite. You know, except for someone who would practically commit murder to save an animal.
Oh I'M sorry, how did the hypothetical individual in this scenario "practically commit murder" if not through inaction? Were they shooting at the drowning man from the shoreline? It's good you don't care about the common good, then. Which includes, say, the lives of strangers. So we can move along now, that we've established this.

Slayer_2 said:
So my valid point that "murder is bad" is moral forced upon us by society is "stupid semantic nitpicking"?
Valid to what? Valid to this argument? There's absolutely no relation whatsoever to murder, and to the question posed by this thread. You're attempting to draw a connection because that's what an appeal to emotion is. You know all about appeal to emotion though, as you're clearly a fan of proper debating form, so I can only assume you're using it on a lark.

Slayer_2 said:
Really, this is pathetic, you straw man like no other and are a hypocrite to boot.
And more ad hominem attacks. Have no argument? Attack the person. I do invite you to point out my straw men, though.

Slayer_2 said:
You have yet to provide a single point or counterpoint that doesn't rely on sarcasm, extreme exaggeration or trying to demean me with your humorously aggrandized vocabulary (c wat i did thar)?
Yes, I know. Vocabulary. Such a sin. How dare I? HOW DARE I USE WORDS THAT MEAN THINGS.

I have indeed been EXTREMELY sarcastic though, you have me there. As for counterpoints...counterpoints to what? You have no argument.

Slayer_2 said:
Out of curiosity, if I told you I want a mass murderer who enjoyed raping little kids on the side, would you withhold judgement and accept my world view on morality? I'm curious where the line is for you, or if you have one at all.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-emotion.html

With a little more effort you'll be at Godwin's Law. Come on man. You KNOW you want to go there, so just go there. It's waiting for you. A fat, juicy Nazi analogy is waiting for you. I want to hear about how the guy saving his drowning dog is now an analogue for Hitler, because we're already at mass murdering kiddie rapist, so it's only a small step away.

All done now? Got that out of your system? You continue to have no argument, guy. I really don't know what to tell you. All you have is moral outrage. That's something, at least. A lot of very fiery orators have made a good living off moral outrage.

LOW VOCABULARY VERSION: U no have argument. U still no understand wat I saying. U tilt at windmills. U no understand good use of analogy. U bad argument make. Stop make argument.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Never thought I'd use that, but keeping it under two pages would have been nice. You still presented no points in the minute-worth I skimmed, and therefore bring nothing to the table. Let me take one from your book and say "you have no argument". Bye bye.