Poll: Your picture of Nintendo execs at this point?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Hey guys, like many of you, I grew up with Nintendo, and like some of you, I still enjoy the 1st party titles they put a good effort into. (like Galaxy and, um....Galaxy 2)

But like pretty much all of you, I'm baffled by Nintendo's recent actions and decisions. From their repeated stubbornness not to localize Japanese titles when it's clear there's a demand for them, to their incredibly poor 3DS launch and not-so-great E3 conference, it's apparent that someone in their management department should be fired. (Not to mention my Wii has been downgraded to "Netflix machine" due to lack of titles)

What's your (cartoonish and probably inaccurate) picture of the Nintendo executives right now? Are they greedy corporate jerks that who don't like their customers? Are they just incredibly thick people who don't understand their customers? Are they just in a string of miscommunications and bad luck, but still care about their customers? Are they geniuses who have a plan behind all this nonsense? What do you picture and why?

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
The only thing they have left going for them from me is nostalgia. I am unimpressed by their lack of new IPs, and reliance on rehashing the same core franchises every year or two.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
All of the above. They have multiple personalities, but right now they're stuck between 'moron' and 'asshole.' If they just sit down, take a couple months to come up with an original game idea, take the money they would have spent on the next 3 crappy remakes of Mario games and put it toward that idea, then there you go. But no, it's back to crap like Legend of Zelda: The Return of Ganon's Mother and Super Mario Bros. Sewer Adventures 5.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Arguably to this generation what Sega was 15 years prior.

1. The company hasn't released a high quality IP in ten years (Pikmin), not counting the third part support (e.g., No More Heroes).

2. The Wii's potential was pretty much squandered by the flood of shovelware.

3. Poor sells and/or weak lineup for the 3DS (for the moment).

4. The boneheaded decision not to release games like the Mother series or the recent RPGs, leaving virtually nothing for the Wii's last few months. I have to agree with Jim Sterling that releasing those games in limited quantities in the States to test the reception here would do little to hurt the company. If it's a smash, you made a few millions extra bucks; if not, then at least you don't have a ton of unwanted games sitting in a warehouse.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
They definitely got greedy with the 3DS. They rushed it out the door with a pathetic lineup, most of its features not coming for months, no high quality new ips, no OoT, and it was badly overpriced.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Oh jeez. More Nintendo hate again.

I don't get it with these threads.

"OH, NINTENDO IS BAD BECAUSE THEY RELEASE THE SAME THING EVERY YEAR, BLAH, LOOK AT MARIO AND ZELDA"

Call of Duty. Halo. Ring any bells? You know, those games released every year with nothing different? They are a far better example of that. Nintendo often spends years developing a new game, or Zelda game. More games keep getting released, but at least they are quality.

"GREEDY, MONEY-GRABBING SAVAGES"

Ahem, Activision, EA, etc. anyone? Their latest consoles seem mostly gimmicky, yes, but they are a much lesser "Money Greedy" company than many others. They still make the best handhelds don't they?

I could go further in detail, but I might get jumped by the various Nintendo haters that may reside here.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Between that whole Project Rainfall thing and the apparent failure of the 3DS due to just all around poor planning, the Big N has certainly seen better days.

But at least they seem to know it, or assume some responsibility for it by assuming paycuts.

Maybe they can find the Wii lightning in a bottle with the Wii-U (still can't take that name seriously), and fight their way back. We'll see next year I guess.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Son of a Mitch said:
All of the above. They have multiple personalities, but right now they're stuck between 'moron' and 'asshole.' If they just sit down, take a couple months to come up with an original game idea, take the money they would have spent on the next 3 crappy remakes of Mario games and put it toward that idea, then there you go. But no, it's back to crap like Legend of Zelda: The Return of Ganon's Mother and Super Mario Bros. Sewer Adventures 5.
This is the mentality that bothers me about gamers today.

SO, it's perfectly fine that Assassin's Creed has changed very little, not only from start to finish in each individual game, but also through each sequel, barely changing much at all and just advancing the plotline. It's no problem at all that many, many, MANY games with sequels numbering 3 or more now that started THIS GENERATION have changed barely, if at all. Have added little to the mechanics and simply dropped new weapons, enemies, and situations on the players along with new and interesting stories with good graphics.

YET AT THE SAME TIME, Nintendo has yet to release the same Mario game under a new name twice. There is no Mario Bros 3 2. There is no Mario 64 2. No Sunshine 2. Galaxy 2 is technically a sequel, but that game changed up mechanics, challenges and scenarios vastly more in the space of ten levels than, for instance, Uncharted did between 3 games. It was a creative masterpiece, and a culmination of the newness of Galaxy 1 with a lot of time spent coming up with brilliant gameplay ideas and making them work very well. The gameplay is what I care about and Nintendo has almost ALWAYS delivered every time. Even NSMB Wii threw a ton of truly NEW things at us. Despite claims they were just rehashing old 2D Mario levels, I beg to differ. Almost every level used mechanics and devices not even possible back on the NES/SNES, and stuff not even seen in Galaxy.
I don't give a flying **** about the story and I don't know why anyone does. That's something relegated to a certain kind of game and Mario is NOT that kind of game. If gameplay alone won't appease you, I have to wonder why you're playing games, but I respect that people have differing tastes. Zelda as well isn't something whose stories are supposed to be amazing. They've kind of evolved into something with more plot depth, but the gameplay is again the focus. It's not as crazy and out-there as Mario is but it's satisfying, and I personally think it works in both ways. Gameplay is new enough, the story and world is interesting enough (flooded Hyrule with pirates, crazy Twilight realm making the world a living dream/nightmare, floating land in the sky not knowing of the mainland below) to make each game worth playing, at least in my opinion. Judging by sales I'm not alone in that thinking.

However, on the topic at hand here, I must say Nintendo has been making some bad decisions. Wii U can be chalked up to early reveal: Nintendo has even gone out to say they didn't intend to reveal the system so early but the word was getting out and they had to show something or risk a lot of bad speculation. 3DS just plain released early, and too expensive. I see no problem now, though, as the games are coming by year's end and the price is far better than I would have expected.
Nintendo of AMERICA, though, has my disdain. No plans to release the big 3 in America? Well, America currently has no plans to give you any money until that happens, so you guys go ahead and wait on that.

Though I'm fairly sure we're getting those games (at least 2 of them) at some point anyway. Nintendo's being Nintendo and not saying anything too early/waiting to see how sales go in Europe.

Overall... good, but in a bad string of decisions. There's a lot going against them but they're putting out products that interest me more than most companies do, so the magic isn't gone. It's just... tainted with the evils of really dumb decisions.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
Eventidal said:
Son of a Mitch said:
-snip-
You do have some valid arguments in that block of text. However, could you honestly say that if Nintendo scrapped the next few 'Mario Party,' 'Mario Olympic Games' and 'Mario Racing' games (I find them all too samey and boring, although you might not) and came up with a brand new IP that sounds interesting and fun, that it wouldn't be worth it? I think it's time to put Mario to bed. Then they could take all of the new gameplay mechanics that would have been in just another Mario game and attach a good story and meaningful characters onto it.

Thoughts?

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
I think Eventidal does hold some pretty good arguments but, the fact is, Nintendo is relying too much on its mascots. If it wants to release a new game with innovative level design, puzzles, and gameplay, it doesn't have to make it a Mario game. Why not "Zvario: the Italian Magician" or something? ... I mean, obviously Nintendo could do something better than that but you understand.

Plus, if story were, indeed, not important, not only would we not come to expect it in a game as a central motivating force but also Nintendo wouldn't need it to drive its games at all. I mean, seriously, Twilight Princess went on and on about stuff that most people would've already figured out by playing a different Zelda game. If story is so unimportant, Nintendo could just go back to the old days of maybe one text block, if that, between you and your goal.

I don't think we're only blaming Nintendo for this, either. I just think because Nintendo is the biggest (and have been doing it the longest), we notice it a lot easier.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I humourously have an image of some Japanese cultists chanting "MARIO, MARIO" with Link about to deal the killing blow to a translator with Mario looking on approvingly.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I see them as the same as any other game company exec. Except Miyamoto, but he's not an exec, he's more a public figure.

NoA and NoJ are looking more and more like two entirely different companies each news announcement. Reggie refuses the guys of Operation Rainfall and just continues to give US fans nothing but issues. Iwata apologizes for the sub-par 3DS launch, takes a pay cut and offers free games for the first buyers. Nintendo makes it very clear that they play favorites.

As for the tired old "Oh, they only make Mario and Zelda games" arguement... AHEM...

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Warioware/land, Donkey Kong Country, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Starfy, Elite Beat Agents (or whatever it is called in Japan), Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Electroplankton, Pikmin, Steel Diver, Nintendogs, the Mii games, Pokemon, Drill Dozer, Smash Brothers.

All have had games made within the last decade. And this is just after about a 2 minute brainstorm, without consulting any sites. This list right here on the IPs alone is bigger than some companies entire track record including sequels. Yes, Mario has gotten a lot more, but that doesn't mean the other IPs don't exist. That's like saying "Oh,Bungie only makes Halo games" or "Capcom only makes Megaman!" or "Valve only puts hats in Team Fortress 2!" And there probably have been quite a few that I either forgot or are Japanese exclusive.

But of course, this site hates Nintendo by reflex,so I'm expecting this post to do noting.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Son of a Mitch said:
Eventidal said:
Son of a Mitch said:
-snip-
You do have some valid arguments in that block of text. However, could you honestly say that if Nintendo scrapped the next few 'Mario Party,' 'Mario Olympic Games' and 'Mario Racing' games (I find them all too samey and boring, although you might not) and came up with a brand new IP that sounds interesting and fun, that it wouldn't be worth it? I think it's time to put Mario to bed. Then they could take all of the new gameplay mechanics that would have been in just another Mario game and attach a good story and meaningful characters onto it.

Thoughts?
I like the idea of new IPs. If you ask me, Kid Icarus is a new IP for them. Sin and Punishment might as well have been a new one as well. Those two have seen so little action lately that they're very fresh and new now, and welcome additions to my library.

Mario doesn't need to go. His spinoffs I could care less about most of the time. Mario Party is a cute distraction and Mario Kart was fun for a long time but I hold those as local multiplayer-only games now. Like aforementioned HD games from my earlier post, they don't change up mechanics enough and unlike those games, they offer no story or continued, cohesive experience to drive the game. The minigames or racing might be fun on its own but it's not connected to a core experience that holds it up as much more than simple entertaining bouts of gameplay.
Sorry if I'm getting less understandable, here. Sleep is catching up with me. So I'll try to cut it off a bit short.
Mario platformers need no story. Simply put, if you try to give Mario a core universe and cohesive plot, you undo most of his games. Has anyone tried to understand his world, why it's cut up into a bunch of completely separate and distinctly themed areas? Did Mario Galaxy basically undo all that? What's up with the paintings in SM64? etc. etc. The crazy mechanics in the later games can't be explained by any stretch of the imagination most of the time, so let's not even try. That's what I like- Mario ditches most story, holding onto the bare essentials to give some core drive to the conflict and help the player to feel there's a reason to do what they're doing. There are no long cutscenes and all story can just be skipped for the most part. Other games can have good stories but that's not what you buy a Mario game for. Aside from Mario and some indie games, that's something steadily disappearing in this market. LittleBigPlanet does well to offer a really open world where storytelling is optional, and I like that direction as well. Nothing is or isn't "canon" in LBP, even user-created stuff. And that's pretty fascinating.

Back to the topic, I'd love to see some more IPs. Or even just some love for the old ones that haven't seen much action lately. Starfox for instance. We have a lot of action games, but not many spaceship games. And Starfox has a nice cast of characters. Quirky, not too serious... that's something we don't get often enough these days. (you could say Nintendo's trying to go for a monopoly on the non-serious stuff) As I said before, Kid Icarus is really feeling that "new IP" shine. The characters and universe are going to feel completely fresh and new there, as the NES never had the chance to really explore the story behind the gameplay outside the basic instruction manual stuff. F-Zero also really needs a revisit. There's a racing game with potential for pleasing the hardcore crowd, whether it's massive, gorgeous HD visuals on WiiU or tight 3D F-Zero GX-level fare on 3DS. Online play is a must, of course.

Nintendo has a lot to go back and visit. I think they're starting to do that a bit more now, but hopefully we'll see that come to fruition in more significant ways than a couple new games and a bunch of remakes. (and of course, we want new IPs still)

[so much for cutting it short. MIND NEEDS REST NOW.]

Bobbety

May 16, 2011

Mario and Zelda are great, but some new IP's would be nice. I mean come one Nintendo!
(sorry if the dead horse offends anyone, but that's my "picture of Nintendo execs at this point"... literally)

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Here's the thing, Nintendo DOES try new things, but they just slap their classic IP's on them. Why? So that they actually sell. Take my favorite new Nintendo IP from the last ten years, Drill Dozer. It was a great game, but it bombed, you know why? Nobody really buys anything from Nintendo that lacks brand awareness. You can tell me that Galaxy 2 and Kirby's Epic Yarn aren't completely new games, just because they have Mario and Kirby's faces on them, but I'll disagree.

Even when they do just rehash stuff, how is it any different than the rest of the industry? Personally, I'll be buying Pokemon titles 'till the day I die most likely, and, at least for the time being, they're still good. Heck, they even changed stuff up.

Okay, that's enough Nintendo apologist shtick, I'm actually quite fed up with Nintendo for a couple of reasons, I just bring up the whole "Nintendo doesn't innovate anymore" thing. I'm just as pissed at the company for ignoring NA when it comes to a ton of awesome games and botching the 3DS launch. Oh, and E3 '08, never forget.