Poll: Your programming experience

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I've done quite a lot of Java (bear in mind that I'm only 18 though, so take that statement with a pinch of utterly dishonest embellishment), but I don't really like it. I prefer the way Microsoft manages C#, although it's annoying to be tied to them when you use it.

Anyway, I'm only a hobbyist so I've never worked in a team, and never done anything more than small applications on request from people I know.

Also...

What does a Java pirate say?

Aaaaaarrrrgs[]

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I have done my share of things during highschool, more than half a decade ago. Fooled around with some HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, C++, Lua. Those were fun times, haven't really made anything worthwhile with them though, but they make up nice fillers for a resume or something else.

About a year ago I set myself the newyears resolution of trying to create an Android Tamagotchi and about three months ago I managed to do just that, it isn't pretty, I'm sure that parts of my coding are ineffecient and could be done better, but ah well, thats something to for this year.

for anyone that is interested, this would be said application.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.myclassicpet

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I learned basic HTML at school, and am pretty good at dream weaver

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
It's my day job.
Then I come home and program the night away.

You could say I have a bit of experience.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I'm way too lazy to have anything to really show for myself, but I've spent what, 15 years now messing around with C++, DirectX, and graphics programming in general.

Yes... I'm a games programmer of sorts. >_>

At the end of the day I have a lot of theoretical knowledge on the subject, but very little in the way of practical ability to get things done.

Don't get me wrong, I can write line drawing algorithms, sprite blitting, collision detection, and several other groups of pretty important algorithms from memory...

I just can't do it brilliantly, and most of all, I'm just plain prone to procrastination.

I know I could write a functioning 3d engine if I tried. I just... Don't tend to make the effort.

Which is something I'm trying to work on, but whatever.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Nalbis said:
I hate programming with a passion. I enjoy IT and I was studying it at University, programming made me literally fall apart as a person and as a result I left the course. Fuck programming.
Wow, now there's two of us. Got into support instead, makes me less inclined to tear my eyes out.
Hated the style of teaching (or lack thereof) in University.

OT: Did some VB, C++, Java and some other low level stuff which I cant even remember. Was pretty bloody awful at the whole thing.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
about 200(ish) hours so barely a beginner, proudest moment was a 2-d game I wrote with a friend in c++.

Just maybe someone is willing to help me out with this problem?:
Get part of each value of a vector that store classes[footnote]That would be it stores value A and B in each spot of the vector[/footnote], and then out of those part create a new vector.

Oh and how to set up visual studio so you can colab on project files.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
flaming_squirrel said:
Nalbis said:
I hate programming with a passion. I enjoy IT and I was studying it at University, programming made me literally fall apart as a person and as a result I left the course. Fuck programming.
Wow, now there's two of us. Got into support instead, makes me less inclined to tear my eyes out.
Hated the style of teaching (or lack thereof) in University.

OT: Did some VB, C++, Java and some other low level stuff which I cant even remember. Was pretty bloody awful at the whole thing.
I'd like to go into Support, that's more my strong suit. But here in the UK the degree's for IT all involve a large chunk of programming which is compulsory to pass the course. I'm looking around for some more support based courses but I don't think I can get funding for them. Its really left me in a rut... Its nice to know that you've managed to find an alternative though, gives me some hope.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
First year computing science student, I self-taught myself Perl in expectation for using it in the class, but it was Python instead. During the course of the term I taught myself the Android stuff so I could make my own apps for my phone. Other than that I really haven't done much, next year will be a little bit more comprehensive I think.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
Marik2 said:
Nalbis said:
Marik2 said:
Nalbis said:

Yeah I know how you feel, and it didn't help that the teacher was a jackass.
Although it sounds harsh to say, but its nice to know its not just me that didn't get it. It seemed like I was the only one on the course not "getting" it which made me so angry and upset with myself. My teacher too was useless, and the support from my University was non-existent when I seeked it.
Yeah the "tutors" were basically useless, they were like freshmen or something.

A lot of people in my class were just copying each others program and making it look like they're own and even the teacher knew about it but didn't really care about it.

Only people who were passing were the guys who already could program and they all agreed the teacher was crap. Might give programming a shot if I get a better teacher or just self teach myself.

But that's just a what if future for me.
It was a bit different in my University, people seemed to be learning it I just think maybe I'm not made for it (not that I enjoyed it or wanted to do it anyway) and people were very reluctant to share their code, even asking would spark a volatile reaction from the other students. I personally will never return to programming, but I wish you the best if you do decide to give it another shot.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I can push some Uscript but I suck at it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyulCK1cfdk , I always need some sort of help it dose not help that Unreal tournament has gone down the tubes so I have stopped trying to mod 04k and 3.

Tho scripting is not real programing LOL

Still would like to learn more Uscript but I need help as the books never did help me, I don;t pick up alot of info from books anyway ><.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
I started out in Python. Halfway through the book, I took a look at C++ and Java and regretted starting on the easy language. The hardest part of Python is installing Livewires (just makes Pygame simpler). That was easy compared to the basic "Hello World" programs in Java and C++, mainly because Dev C++ decided not to execute any programs and I ended up not having some sort of Java compiler that all computers had.

So I figured I'd finish the Python book and go from there.

One more little vent: The exact code that wouldn't start up in Dev C++ on my desktop WOULD run fine if I double-clicked the .exe from explorer. It also ran fine from Dev C++ on my dad's laptop. Just a little bit frustrating. I think I played Skyrim the rest of the day when that happened.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I am a CSS major, and in my Junior year of the program at Uni, so I suppose I have some programming experience. ;) I really have not worked on anything bigger than a small app at this point, but I am pretty good for the point I am at. I know both Java and C++, but that is extent of my experience. I really enjoy programming. It feels like you are building something real and useful without actually having to do any work beyond thinking! :D And I love that.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
YEAH, VISUAL BASIC 6!

.... Yeah, I don't know much about coding. Back in high school I took a programming class that taught visual basic. I ended up making a tic-tac-toe game that was 87 coding pages long because I didn't learn how to do arrays yet.

These days my only recent programming experience is limited to minor expressions in Autodesk Maya.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Considering that programming is what pays my bills, I guess you could say that I know a bit about it.

Picked up HTML around 97 or 98. I really started programming around 2003 with Python. The novelty of programming in general wore off, but it somehow captivated me, so I went to a college that specialized in nothing but.

In my spare time, I've programmed a blog [http://theandrewbailey.com/] (in Java), and a random sentence generator [http://theandrewbailey.com/spruce] (in Python). I still know some C# from college, and SQL does come in handy from time to time. I looked into PHP, but just could not get the hang of it. I'm ok with HTML and CSS, but I'm a complete noob at Javascript.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
From University i have experience in C#, C++ and Java, College gave me some basic Visual Basic and Machine Low Level Programming both of which i'm taking this semester for Uni so i will soon be somewhat competent with them also.

So far i've done mainly console based programming (cmd window or netbeans), and a small amount of GUI based programming in Java.

Oh i also know SQL (not exactly a programming language in terms of the poll but it's still a programming language), along with a small amount of HTML, CSS, PHP (bare basics enough to know things such as

KyeMc

Mar 2, 2011
Hmm well i have been called a programming guru of c/c++/c#. I work in a software development company in Sydney Australia and i was first taught programming in visual basic in highschool and progressed to c based languages as well as java, python and server side languages like jsp, asp and php in university.

I was one of those strange people in uni who decide to pick up advanced programming and system/operating systems programming as majors of a computer science degree. And ive always loved programming there is this thrill you get when a program or function that gives you a hard time finally breaks and works and functions perfectly that you cant find anywhere else. but it is also stressfull when error checking or trying to eliminate a bug in a large function.

The project i am most proud of would be a project i did in my last year of university where i designed and implimented a full retail inventory management and sales system with c++. it was an awesome program it was easy to use and very robust. I dont really feel like i can claim any of the software i have done at work as something im proud of really as mostly its all small sections of a suite that i would work on with about 20-30 other programmers.

The thing ive discovered about programming is you either love it or hate it and if you dont love it look at another field because programming is not for you

KyeMc

Mar 2, 2011
Hmm well i have been called a programming guru of c/c++/c#. I work in a software development company in Sydney Australia and i was first taught programming in visual basic in highschool and progressed to c based languages as well as java, python and server side languages like jsp, asp and php in university.

I was one of those strange people in uni who decide to pick up advanced programming and system/operating systems programming as majors of a computer science degree. And ive always loved programming there is this thrill you get when a program or function that gives you a hard time finally breaks and works and functions perfectly that you cant find anywhere else. but it is also stressfull when error checking or trying to eliminate a bug in a large function.

The project i am most proud of would be a project i did in my last year of university where i designed and implimented a full retail inventory management and sales system with c++. it was an awesome program it was easy to use and very robust. I dont really feel like i can claim any of the software i have done at work as something im proud of really as mostly its all small sections of a suite that i would work on with about 20-30 other programmers.

The thing ive discovered about programming is you either love it or hate it and if you dont love it look at another field because programming is not for you