Poll: Your Rock,Paper,Scissors opener

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
Got into a big strategical argument with someone over this. They told me scissors is the best one to start because it always seems to be an afterthought that is underestimated. I curtly replied that rock is unbeatable. What is your go-to starter?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I've found that rock has made a comeback, the whole "good old rock" joke actually makes people less inclined to start with rock. A lot of people are starting to use scissors as it's seen as aggressive but very few start on paper. So I'm going for the safe win or draw with rock.

Also I usually repeat what I'm doing too, I managed to win two jugs of beer for my table by going rock three times in a row, with a stranger they don't expect such a deliberate and superficially stupid move.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I go paper first.

Especially since 90% of the time everyone goes rock first (Due to it either being the safe option or they really didn't think about what they where going to do so it came out rock)

I occasionally mix it up with a bit of scissors first (Since some people start going paper first after playing me a few times)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
For some reason, I notice that people tend to open with rock. After that its a matter of guessing if you think they will assume you are going to use the same thing again or if you are expecting you to expect them to use the same thing again and thus are going to counter your counter.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Can't say I've played that game for many, many years, but I think rock is the one I usually went with. At least I would now!

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Rock breaks scissors. But paper covers rock, and scissors cut paper!
We have a conundrum.
Search them for paper... and bring me a rock.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I have no idea, I've been thinking about this but I always think "Okey, go with this"
Then when the final round of hand going updownupdown I get all freaked out and chose something entirely different... So I have no tactical starter, it's all random to me ^^

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Scissors followed by rock followed by scissors followed by scissors followed by paper.

Hellkite_Overload

Jul 15, 2011
I usually lead with either rock or scissors, depending on what kind of person I think they are. Aggressive people who want to win quickly will go for scissors, people who are unsure or defensive will choose rock. (At least that's what I've observed, lol)

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Almost everyone starts with a rock where I live, but I usually start with scissors because this is what I think my opponent thinks. ("Everyone starts with a rock, so I will start with paper to win!") But no, they just throw a rock and I lose... Maybe paper would work better for me.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
After having played tons and tons of World of Darkness I can say that almost everyone I meet goes with rock off the bat, because well....people are lazy.
So I always throw paper on the first go.

Greedy_Smurph

Aug 17, 2011
Sirron Kcuch said:
Spock all the way
My friend and her mum actually use "Scissors, Paper, Rock, Lizard, Spock" to solve domestic arguments. Like in the middle of a screaming match one will just hold out their hand and the other knows exactly what it means. The victor gets final say no questions asked.. even if the other is right. Quite effective actually.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I usually go rock, because my friends always, without fail, use scissors. Only once have the used paper, knowing I was going to go rock.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
My theory is that people are statistically more likely to go with rock because that sounds more solid then paper and scissors(and if this poll is representative, it turns out I'm right), so I always go with paper.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh I just choose rock because I feel like it! I rather leave it to chances rather than trying to second guess my opponent choosing.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I always pick paper for no particular reason at all. And unfortunately for me, my friends know I pick paper, which makes me quite horrible at this game.