Poll: your thoughts on the PS vita

slypizza

Mar 8, 2012
Well the PSV has been out for a while now with its new touch screen and touch pad *cough*nintendo*cough* for those of you who own one what is is like is it fun, is it awkward, it the same as the PSP beside you getting internet and facebook (thats on my kill list)

might as well as on the 3DS as well because I'm still iffy about getting either system I feel I just just save up and wait for the Wii U to come out in November and then there s the new PS4 code name Orbis and Microsofts new 360, I wonder if theses companies realize none of the children running around have the income to buy next gen systems that would amount up to buying a motorcycle not to mention $60 more a year for online service.. and or passes

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
slypizza said:
I wonder if these companies realize none of the children running around have the income to buy next gen systems that would amount up to buying a motorcycle, not to mention $60 more a year for online service.. and or passes
I wanna know where you are gettin' your moto-cycles. If I could get one at console-launch price, I'd buy that up in a heartbeat.

Shrapenel92

Mar 27, 2012
I think it will end up going the same way as the PSP Go, if anything it will be because of those ridiculous PSVita-exclusive media cards.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well the handheld itself is alright. I posted my whole first impressions somewhere here I'll go find the link.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.362836-My-first-impressions-of-the-Vita-I-just-got-one#14221915
The two things I have to add to that is simply put there's no game worth getting it for. Nearly all of it's best games are either ports of spinoffs from other series. I went on the Vita's store and counted the number of original games and checked their review scores. There are 5 original games on the Vita and of those 5 only 3 of them have review scores over 4/5. One of those 3 already had it's dev staff laid off before the game was even done and another one is just a small indie game.

The other thing is the touch pads. I tried a few Vita demos and I can't possibly see any actual use for them. None of the games I played were actually helped by them and one of them was hurt because if you accidentally hit it the whole control scheme messes up and takes a while to fix.

Also upon reflection for being a portable system it's barely portable. I don't bring this thing anywhere because of how big it is. The only reason I'm getting anything out of this is because I bought a couple of PSP games on it since my old PSP just died on me. I seriously can't recommend the Vita to anyone right now.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Vita's the better system by a HUGE margin, and it even has the better game selection...

...but as soon as the new version of the 3DS with the second analog slider built in comes out, and a 3DS Pokemon game comes out....How could I not go for that?

Both are good, but the 3DS just has some room for improvement it needs to use.

Obnoxiously, Vita has the stupid gorram unique memory format....and AT&T for the 3G service... Idiots. <_<

Apr 5, 2008
If it was half the price it is now, I might consider buying it. As it is, it's priced so far out of the realm of reason or value that I'm surprised any sold at all, particularly as it doesn't come with any (proprietary!) memory card and no on-board storage. Meaning that it's at least £20-30 more than the advertised price if you actually wish to be able to actually play anything.

The problem is that it wants to be many things that aren't necessary (media player, internet browser) and this drives the price up. What I would gladly pay for is a superlative gaming system with wi-fi multiplayer capabilities. Oh, and a comfortable analogue nub that doesn't leave your left hand cramping or in pain...seriously, how the heck do they something that important so wrong? And battery life...don't Sony understand that for a portable device to be portable it needs to be physically portable, light and have AWESOME battery life, not sub-par.

I do admire the screen and touch thing though. But it can't compete with it's predecessor, the PSP which plays homebrew, emulators and so on. Maybe if/when the homebrew scene gets going I'll get one 2nd hand on eBay.

Anyone who considers buying the Vita...don't, just don't. Buy a PSP with a huge catalogue of games, UMD drive, more common memory stick format and homebrew. You'll have more fun with it and for much less money. Or at least wait till it doesn't cost more than a netbook PC or standard console.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I'm going to wait until P4: The Golden comes out on Vita before begging my boyfriend to get me one. For now my 3DS is what I love. :) It started off being meh but as soon as some of the good games like MG3, Super Mario, Ocarina of Time and Star Fox came out it has now become something I don't leave my house without.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
As with every one of these threads I see I feel compelled to jump in and tell everyone to get an Xperia Play. Massive selection of games (including emulation up to 5th generation consoles and 6th gen handhelds without requiring any chips or soft mods), no proprietary carts (only need a decent sized mircoSD), fairly powerful, pretty good controls (though the touch nubs take some getting used to they work well once you get your head around it), pretty damn portable (lack of any cartridges/disks helps too), can run on any mobile network, and is also a phone with all of the bells and whistles. They're also becoming cheap as chips because nobody wants to buy the damn things (and I still can't figure out why). Just go buy one or they'll never make an updated one when necessary in a few years and I will be sad. Unless you really want those few exclusives it's the best choice.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Detective Prince said:
I'm going to wait until P4: The Golden comes out on Vita before begging my boyfriend to get me one. For now my 3DS is what I love. :) It started off being meh but as soon as some of the good games like MG3, Super Mario, Ocarina of Time and Star Fox came out it has now become something I don't leave my house without.
I guess this explains your screen name?

I don't own either, but I expect P4: The Golden to sell me a Vita. If not me, then my brother since he's much more impulse than I am. Megaman Legends 3 may have sold me a 3DS, but we all know how that went. I want Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, but I don't know if I could get a 3DS just for that. Megaman and KH together would have done it easily, but this is iffy.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Ieyke said:
Vita's the better system by a HUGE margin, and it even has the better game selection...

...but as soon as the new version of the 3DS with the second analog slider built in comes out, and a 3DS Pokemon game comes out....How could I not go for that?

Both are good, but the 3DS just has some room for improvement it needs to use.

Obnoxiously, Vita has the stupid gorram unique memory format....and AT&T for the 3G service... Idiots. <_<
Um... Maybe in the future when some more games are released for it, maybe. But as of at this moment, there's no chance it has the better game library right now. Though, in the future, I'm sure it will.

And yes, in most other aspects, Vita is clearly the better system. Although, some internal storage would be nice (damn overly expensive memory cards...)

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I hope it gets a lot more PSP games on the network. And starts having PSOne classics compatibility. Because right now, it has that going against it by a whole lot.

If you're going to go as digital distribution as possible, you need to bring as many old folks along for the ride as possible.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Detective Prince said:
I guess this explains your screen name?

I don't own either, but I expect P4: The Golden to sell me a Vita. If not me, then my brother since he's much more impulse than I am. Megaman Legends 3 may have sold me a 3DS, but we all know how that went. I want Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, but I don't know if I could get a 3DS just for that. Megaman and KH together would have done it easily, but this is iffy.
Yea that explains the screen name. I'm surprised by how many people are waiting out for P4 to come out before getting a Vita. :)

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
The Vita seems okay, I am just not willing to buy it at it's current price. I am going to wait for it's price to drop or Persona 4 The Golden to come out before I get it. The 3DS is also okay. It is a lot better now that there are games on it.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
Wall of text incoming! (well compared to what i'd usually post anyways)

Unlike a majority of the other posters from what i can tell, i actually own a vita. now before anyone proceeds to criticise me because of their dislike for the system, i'll just say i'll spend my money on whatever i feel like (it's not like it affects you anyway).

anyways, the system has been rather entertaining so far. but i'm not going to go so far as to ignore some of the rather reasonable points that have been made.

yes, i agree that sony needs to step up their game and get the psone classics working ASAP. considering that this was stated as a feature frequently in advertisement material, they are likely to end up in trouble for false advertising sooner or later if they don't get it together.

Yes, the memory cards are towards the expensive side, but the ability to make backups of your digital games and all of your saves softens the blow a bit, and allows for switching out games to suit what you feel like playing at the time. plus 3 months from now i'm sure there'll be some kind of replica card out there for a fraction of the price.

Anyways, more of my personal impressions of the system. my experience has been rather good with the system, however, at first i was finding that once i had finished uncharted, i was itching for a game i could really sink some hours into.

gravity rush was the game i had intended to fill that role, but the delayed release of the english version left me without something to take that role until the copy of blazblue continuum shift that i'd just about forgotten i had ordered arrived. ever since i got the hang of not being terrible at it, i have sunk at least 20-30 hours into it in moderate bursts.

About a month and a half from then and i now have a small collection of psp rpgs that i have sunk quite a bit of time into as well. i'm rather satisfied with the system at this point, and have no real complaints about it aside from having to wait another two months for gravity rush.

my basic opinions on some of the games i have actually played:

blazblue is awesome fun and has tons of content, but anyone that has an interest in the series would no doubt already have it on the console of their choice, so it's not really a system seller. however my previous experience with the series was limited to the 360 version of calamity trigger, and i can honestly say this version is ten times better. especially since the xbox contoller just seems to be utter crap in terms of the d-pad actually being anywhere near responsive or tactile enough to play Blazblue with.

uncharted was rather good, and unexpectedly lengthy, but hasn't really got the greatest replay value. i was actually quite surprised when i found myself thinking that it could do with some kind of multiplayer feature. i'm usually all for single player stuff, but given all the jumping, climbing and hanging off of things, i could see a multiplayer mode being rather hectic and fun.

wipeout 2048 is good fun but some of the tracks in the later third of the game are somewhat rage inducing, Sol in particular. i recently started dabbling in the online multiplayer though, and it is actually rather interesting playing combat races against actual opponents rather than the AI. the AI tends to rarely set traps over weapon pickups or suddenly flip backwards to fire rockets at you, making combat a lot less fun in the SP campaign.

however, at this point in time i feel that the vita still doesn't really have a solid enough library to please everyone just yet. i'm satisfied with the games i have for it, but that's obviously my opinion.

ok, i swear i need to just cut off this rant and get to sleep. so there you have it, my opinions on a small range of crap regarding the vita, 10% of which is probably legible. i'll let whoever reads this decide whether it's helpful or not.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I suspect in both cases, power trumping battery life is going to be the big hindrance. A game system that won't keep up with you on a four hour flight is of limited use. For the same price, there are a number of tablets and netbooks one could get that will last longer and do more.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
So far it seems to have the exact opposite problem the 3DS had.

The 3DS had a bad launch line-up, but there were tons of great games on the horizon. And a lot of those games have now come out.

The PS Vita had a good launch line-up, but now has nothing coming up for it.

It certainly didn't help that Sony kept shooting themselves in the foot, with the lack of backwards compatibility and proprietary memory cards.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Lucem712 said:
I wanna know where you are gettin' your moto-cycles. If I could get one at console-launch price, I'd buy that up in a heartbeat.
I can get a motorcycle for as cheap as a PS3. It would need work done to it though.

I vote both as great machines. Because they are. They're both better than their previous iterations, which were outstanding in their own right. But the question here are the games, right? And this is where they both fall very short.

The 3DS has been out for about a year now and all the decent games are just rehashes or sequels to great games already been. Not just Nintendo games either, but games like Monkey Ball, DOA, MGS3 and Tales fo the Abyss. Not bad games (really enjoying DOA) but, well, re-releases on portables are just getting old.

I've just bought a 3DS but I'm not buying any games for it just yet. I'm borrowing from other members of my family, because it's not worth shelling £30 for games I can already play on the big screen. I see the 3DS as a long term investment. I've been playing multiplayer DS at the pub with friends for years, and I know sooner or later we're all going to upgrade, so I might as well just buy when when I'm getting it for £65.

The PS Vita looks to have the potential to move into new territory. Sony have always been more responsive to innovation than Nintendo (I'm talking about games, not gimmicky peripherals) so there's hope it will deliver some great titles.

But it's far too early. The Vita has only been out for a very short time so I don't think anyone can criticise it's library just yet. It's not better or worse than any other launch.

Since the xbox/ GC/ PS2 era, consoles have always needed at least 2 years before there's been a good number of quality titles worth investing in. These consoles are no different. In fact, because of the stagnancy of the industry, we ought to address our expectations even longer than usual.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Aside from long-term anniuncements like FFX 10th Anniversary, and Persona 4: The Golden there doesn't appear to be any info on when post-launch games will show up. I'm waiting to se what comes out next before I consider getting a Vita.