Poll: Your Voice Range (Music Jokes Welcome)

LeafofStone

Nov 19, 2009
Ok I just thought out of curiosity that I would ask everybody's vocal range. Me I'm a bass through and through, so that means all I need to know in a choir is two notes: The root of the chord and a third above that ;)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
LeafofStone said:
Ok I just thought out of curiosity that I would ask everybody's vocal range. Me I'm a bass through and through, so that means all I need to know in a choir is two notes: The root of the chord and a third above that ;)
Hey, sometimes basses get the fifth, too.

OT: I'm a baritone, which means I can keep up with the tenors when needed, and can also do pretty much any high school level bass line, and most college level bass lines.

Edit: also, walking bass lines. Basses tend to get more notes than anyone but the sopranos; it's the altos who only need to know how to sing two notes.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
So an E flat walks into a bar and orders a beer. The bartender says "Sorry, we don't serve minors."

Bar_Chek

Feb 15, 2010
I've been a tenor in my local choir for years, though naturally because I AM A MAN (*punches wall*) I tend to use in a somewhat lower tone when singing casually. I can keep up with the basses should the need arise, but the tenor line usually needs more support.

12GaugeLobotomy

Apr 3, 2011
I'd love to sing for my band, but I happen to be possessed of the vocal range of the love child between Mark Knopfler and a four tonne bullfrog :( So I just stick to bass..

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I wonder if anyone here will have the balls to admit that they have a castrati voice.
[sub][sub][sub][sub]Pun intended[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Personally I don't know what my vocal range is, I just know that I'm not particulary good at singing.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
LeafofStone said:
I will personally weep if the most responses to this forum is Castrati.
Modern castrati basically are counter-tenors, I hope you know... I was a counter-tenor when I was 13-14 because my voice broke very slowly, so from 11-17, I gradually went from treble to baritone in a somewhat bizarre progression.

It's weird because of all the vocal ranges, oratorial tenors require the largest range (three octaves, I believe, from bottom A +3, which is greater than that of the counter-tenor who don't have the entire lower half of the range).

Anyway, I haven't sung properly for a long time, because for someone with perfect pitch, my pitch trajectory is appalling, so to me (even though I've been complimented for a strong and clear singing voice i.e. good for musical theatre) it sounds really really crap.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
LeafofStone said:
I am aware that modern Castrati are Counter-Tenors, I just stuck it up there as a joke.
Fair enough... though it's odd, because I'm fairly sure that the original vocal range of the castrati was supposed to be soprano/mezzo-soprano (top C and all), while counter-tenors are alto/high tenor in range. *shrug*

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I don't know, I've never bothered to find out. I have a fairly deep voice though, so I'd say I'm a baritone.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I'd consider myself a bass. Mainly because my voice literary cannot reach any tones that would be considered to be light. Unless I yell alot. Usually after a raging gaming process, I'll be able to reach those notes.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My singing voice sounds almost exactly like Chris Thile's, who I've always heard described as a tenor.

That's pretty much what my singing voice is like, just less crisp on the higher notes.

templargunman

Oct 23, 2008
LeafofStone said:
What that actually means is that your choir director doesn't know how to use bass voices. I'm a bass, and my parts are hard as shit. I sing opera and sing in the school choir. I'm the lowest bass at my university (that I know of, I'm Bass 1 in my choir). If you had to imagine where my voice is I'm inbetween the people who say that they're basses on this poll and those Russian Orthodox priests.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
About a third, stone cold sober and tired, getting on for an octave once I start drinking. RB3 has given me 100% a few times, even on hard, but never while sober.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
I really don't know, I think probably baritone or tenor. I've got a deep speaking voice, but I can go quite high. I can sing along to Roy Orbison songs and hit all the notes if that helps

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
My voice can get pretty broad when singing though I can't hit all of my range in one sitting, it just depends how I tune up.

I've always enjoyed singing for fun like a lot of people but several years ago, I had the wherewithal to realize when I sucked at it so I'm a self-taught singer. If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right... without paying for lessons. lol

Generally, I'm more around the range of Blaze Bayley or Zak Stevens (Savatage) with a little Eric Adams (Manowar) thrown in so my style resembles a mash-up of theirs.

Given that I also do voice impersonations, I can imitate a lot of different singers out there. I usually have to tune a little higher to do these. My easiest ones are Jon Oliva (Savatage), Robert Plant, Axl Rose, Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield, and (lol) Stevie Nicks.

On a good day, I can even sing a little King Diamond.

Once in a blue moon, I can nail some Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, and Ronnie James Dio vocals if only for a little bit.