Poll: Zero Punctuation: Do his words matter?

escaflowne

Mar 9, 2008
I usually buy games that I think have developed a new concept, theres no point in buying a FPS that has been done a thousand times, I think yahtzee helps us distinguish between games that have been done b4 and are being repeated for a thousand times

Hasselbalch

Mar 10, 2008
I don't use the Zero Punctuation episodes as some sort of "game-buying-guide" . And neither should anyone do.

We all have different tastes in games. Duh.
For example, I don't think he would find EA Skate too enjoyable, but since I skate myself, I can relate to it, and perhaps even get a bigger and better experience due to that.

Whatever. I just watch the episodes as entertainment.

Zuffox

Nov 2, 2007
I don't always agree with him, but of course his opinion has a say, however not in any conclusive matter at all. And as with other reviewers I think make great points, I'm more keen to listening to him rather mediocre ones like 1UP and GameSpot (print media I wholly disregard).

He's a bright lad with great points, not the second coming of Christ.

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Yes, ZP revies can - and has - push(ed) or discourage(d) me from buying games. The most obvious one is Portal. Do note that I don't follow his opinions to the point. It's about what he says about the games. For instance I am very interrested in getting Mass Effect after his review.

/S

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
When he reviews a game, it usually confirms preconceived opinions. Everything he says is correct when it comes to listing faults, but nothing Yahtzee has reviewed has been distinctly unplayable. I'd say the only game he swayed me on was COD4, which I intended to avoid until Yahtzee gave it the thumbs up. Turns out, I was really missing out by neglecting to pick it up.

Games he's reviewed that I haven't played I didn't intend to buy anyway (MoH: Airborne for instance).

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
i find i usually share Yahtzee's opinions on games, so yeah, he does influence my buying decisions. but that's just me.

Tango

Mar 13, 2008
stevesan said:
i find i usually share Yahtzee's opinions on games, so yeah, he does influence my buying decisions. but that's just me.
Absolutely, I totally agree. I often share the same opinions as Mr. Croshaw. I really just watch it for the comedy value now as I know I will more often than not share the same opinion as him.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
I was dubious until I was given Halo3 for Christmas, and realised what a sodding dog it really was, and now I do give ZP real consideration when I'm choosing my games. If it's shitcanned, I steer clear, if it's a negative review, but not terrible, I rent or borrow from a mate. On the rare occasions that Yahtzee ejaculates golden streams of joy over a game...

...I still rent it first.

PlogXL

Mar 15, 2008
Most of the games that he has reviewed I have never thought of buying, precisly for the reasons that he goes on to describe. The last game a bought was super smash bros. for the N64, life was more fun when the controller was useful and not a magic wand.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
His words do, but not his opinions. For example, I am able to deduce what gaming aspects or scenarios he's talking about without playing the games he reviews because he pitches them like a gamer would. I am able to somewhat get what the game is about at the end of the review, but I don't confuse his taste with mine.

For example, I wouldn't be buying Jericho because of his review- namely his description of the fight scenes and the general storyline (including the convolutions), knowing that I don't like that gameplay. In this case, I agree with Yahtzee.

I disagree with him on the matter of how much content should be spilled out by the game, namely by Mass Effect. I am an RPG lover and I can eat a good background and story with salt and pepper. For me, the fact that characters would involve me in their business or reveal to me their back-stories is great as long as its done with a discrete execution. In this case, I disagreed with his taste, but that's no criticism. It's just an observation.

So, yes, his reviews actually do matter to me. They serve well in scouting out games that might be potential buys. I haven't played most of the games he reviewed, but I do own the Orange Box, Psychonauts, and have played lots of Burnout: Paradise, and I totally agree with what his taste is on these, except for Ep. 2 toward which he seemed indifferent, while I thought it was a better game than both Ep. 1 and HL2, excluding game length from the equation. Overall I find myself loathing the average Japanese RPG and redundant, repetitive button-mashing, along with a bunch of other now-familiar Yahtzee pet-peeves. So, even with what I've said, my opinion does seem to concur with his, mostly. What's important is to know what one wants from a source of information and amusement.

Flack

Brushie Brushie Brushie
Mar 14, 2008
His reviews are not only hilarious but point out the good and bad points in a blunt fashion.
A bad review however doesn't mean I wont still buy certain games(read:DMC4, Assassins Creed (on PC))however. Fantastic entertainment value though.

Tarmanydyn

Jun 15, 2007
He has never swayed my opinion on a purchase, but that's because I usually form my own opinions on a game, rather than have someone else do it for me. I'm fairly stubborn in that regard, but I'm like that because, most reviewers are seemingly less critical than I am. Or at the very least, have ostensibly differing views.

Yahtzee on the other hand, while I still don't share many of his opinions, he's the most openly critical reviewer in the mainstream, which is incredibly ballsy, despite how charming a wanker he is.

Quite frankly, and I'm sure this has been stated before, he's probably the most important reviewer in the industry right now, if simply because of his blunt honesty, and secondarily, his refreshing method of critique.

I think it silly that some see him nothing as a funny man, or view his reviews as nothing more than simple comic relief. Sure they deliver in that regard, but that's akin to going to a Chris Hitchen's lecture for a good laugh. You'll most certainly get one, but the message is much more important than how it's being said.

J-Val

Nov 7, 2007
He gets paid for criticising games, so it's generally not a good idea to use his review as the basis on whether you buy a game or not.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I can't say a Zero Punctuation has ever compelled me to go out and buy a game on it's own, but if he says a game is quite good, I may seek out a demo and check it out for myself. That said, that actually hasn't happened yet, as the games he liked, I already own.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Sandwiched right in between. I know if he praises a game, then it's awesome. The opposite is not true.

fnph

Oct 13, 2007
ZP doesn't influence my buying. I listen every week, but only because it's funny. Mostly he reviews PC games anyway and I'm not much of a PC gamer. The rest of the time, I just don't care about his opinion, it rarely matches mine. He tends to want an in-depth story and such for every game, but I don't mind the same re-hashed storyline over and over as long as the game's fun to play. I have a certain magazine who's reviewers' opinions align with my own much better.
Some of my favourite ZP reviews are actually for games I love.

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
As much as I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews I'm afraid that if I took them all seriously, I wouldn't own many games. Whenever he does postively review something I find it worth buying, like COD4, but he does exaggerate the problems of good games(DMC4) and even great games(Uncharted).

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Only once thus far- with DMC4. The Sunday Paper's Entertainment section agreed with him, believe it or not- 2 Stars. I'll be buying it later or never. Though I do not share his seething hatred for JRPGs I am, like him, a sucker for artistic originality over big guns and explosions (see: Psychonauts Review).

I like to think of Mr. Croshaw as the Simon Cowell of Video Gaming; the neccessarily harsh judge out of many lazy reviewers who give out 10/10 scores like candy. If he actually praises a game with few complaints, I know it MUST be pretty good.