Poltergeist in my Skyrim home

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
I bought the first house in Skyrim and spent 30 minutes redecorating my home with Dwemer, Falmer and other artifacts.
It was great to see all these items I have looted from ruins and dungeons there on my table and on my shelves.

So I go to my local store and sell all there plates and such that came with my new home and when I arrive back WHAT do I see everything has been thrown across the room.

Now here is the discussion value has this happened to anyone else?
And is there an area surrounding each item that makes them flip out if they are close to each other?
Oh and is there a way to rotate objects when you are holding them I have to knock them off table edges and other object to get the desired angle?

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
I wasn't even aware you could leave things lying around in the house, I thought it was only the chest that was secure - so probably not the best person to comment but what I HAVE noticed is in NPC houses things being rather 'messy'. Food underneath plates being one example, and I'm guessing when the game was designed it was vice versa. Do you have a housecarl (that spelled correctly?)? Maybe they're knocking them as the physics can sometimes be a little... odd.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
I remember this seemed to happen ALL the time in Oblivion and Fallout 3 when you tried to decorate (I gave up in Fallout: New Vegas). Call it Bethesda Game Physics Anomalies or something scientific like that.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I have a niggle of my own with my house in Whiterun. I bought it, I've got the key for it and everything, but for some reason, the game doesn't allow me to sleep on the bed in my own house, telling me that I "cannot sleep in an owned bed."
Maybe it belongs to the poltergeist?

OneStepAhead

May 2, 2011
Yeah...so far I've seen Skrim has a bit of a bug with some houses, for example, one of the mannequins in my mansion of solitude has a duplication bug creating a copy of a certain kind of robe every time I enter my home...also things spontaneously combust.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, since I'm too busy killing dragons, hunting for artifacts and praising the awesome lord Molag Bal, I don't have time to bring chicks to my 'house' so I just keep all my stuff in a safe. Maybe you can put them together in show cases if you can get some, maybe with a mod or console command.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Jezzascmezza said:
I have a niggle of my own with my house in Whiterun. I bought it, I've got the key for it and everything, but for some reason, the game doesn't allow me to sleep on the bed in my own house, telling me that I "cannot sleep in an owned bed."
It belongs to that girl that joins you after you become thane.
There is a bigger bed in the house, that is yours.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
When you walk away from physics objects in most games, they become a lower polygon physics model. When you come back, they jump up to a higher one. Lower detail when you're not looking. And then, it unfreezes, and launches itself across the room because of a physics glitch that happens when two models intersect, and that's about it. Or, at least it was in FO3, and Oblivion.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Ranorak said:
Jezzascmezza said:
It belongs to that girl that joins you after you become thane.
There is a bigger bed in the house, that is yours.
Haha, thanks.
Stupid me.
I obviously didn't explore the house well enough.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Thanks for the quick responses people. Also after Anjel mentioned about items being safe if left on shelves I did a little research and the in-game guide mentions this "After purchasing a house, you can safely leave your items inside ? They will always be there when you return." Also other people have tried experiments on this and it seems to be safe.

Now Redisforever will this happen if I keep a good distance between objects or will they always fly around my house :( It would be cool if they had options to by individual book shelves and display cases and place them as you wish in the house in a kind of sim way but I guess I am asking to much as this game is huge.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Gamebryo (modded, but it's still fucking gamebryo even if they slap another sticker on it), bethesda and functionality don't really go hand in hand.

Items spaz out when they touch, it probably messes everything up when reloading them

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Also I saw a mammoth just randomly fall out of the sky was quite funny.
Anyone else see any interesting bugs yet?

TheJayke

Oct 22, 2010
This happened to me..
I had a lute and a drum, artfully arranged either side of a cupboard, when I came back, the drum was knocked over, and it took me 10 minutes to find the lute in a dark corner on the other side of the room..
But my troll skulls and orcish dagger which are precariously balanced ontop of a table, haven't moved at all, even though they are all quite close to each other.

I guess there must be a poltergeist?

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
redisforever said:
When you walk away from physics objects in most games, they become a lower polygon physics model. When you come back, they jump up to a higher one. Lower detail when you're not looking. And then, it unfreezes, and launches itself across the room because of a physics glitch that happens when two models intersect, and that's about it. Or, at least it was in FO3, and Oblivion.
Makes sense, and I think this is also easily fixed by simply modding out the physics when you leave the house, so things won't fall 'into place', or 'fall' at all. Might even be included in a patch, as I carefully assume that this requires mere lines of code.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I think that happened to me once. I put a mask in a display case and returned to find it on the floor.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
yea i had that glitch/bug, all of my plates and potions were on the floor all messed up, this is probably because and some of my cabinets and walls had apparently gone on holiday

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Does your character have a tail? That might be it, that when you turn around you tip everything off.

Dec 27, 2010
xTc212 said:
Also I saw a mammoth just randomly fall out of the sky was quite funny.
Anyone else see any interesting bugs yet?
Holy sh*t, I saw that once too. It landed on me, although didn't kill me... somehow.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I see your poltergeist and raise my
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/2011111500013.jpg/]
My follower summoned this inside my house, and it turned hostile. After I killed it the corpse persisted, so I followed the logical course of action and used it as a decoration.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Zagzag said:
I see your poltergeist and raise my
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/2011111500013.jpg/]
My follower summoned this inside my house, and it turned hostile. After I killed it the corpse persisted, so I followed the logical course of action and used it as a decoration.
I wish my date was that hot