Ponyo Review

Nostalgia Ripoff

Sep 2, 2009
Let me start off by saying this movie is a COMPLETE ripoff of The Little Mermaid. You have the fish that wants to be a human girl, a father who controls the sea and doesn't want her daughter to leave, and a boy that makes the girl want to become human. With that said, let us begin.

My first thoughts when I went into the theater were "Wow! A Hayao Miyazki film? I bet this is going to be as good as Spirited Away!" Well let me say, I was wrong. DEAD WRONG.

When you first glimpse at the movie, It seems really basic. Beautiful scenes showing creatures living in the ocean, and a then you see a tranny living in a submarine. Wait, what? Thats right. The first actual person we see in the movie is a tranny. This is going to hurt.

After that, odd scene, we are treated to a fish with the head of a human coming out of the Sub and mini versions of the fush. This is Ponyo. And the mini fishes are her little sisters. Okay. Now's as good a time as ever to address the design of this movie. All of the landscapes are beautifully detailed. However, the characters are not. As expected from Miyazaki, the characters are simplistic and 90's styled. This works well for the animation and the innocent feel the movie has. However, when the backgrounds are more detailed than the characters themselves, it feels, off putting.

After Ponyo escapes, we cut to a scene of a boy going down the cliff behind his house to the ocean. This boy is Souske,(not to be confused with Sauske.)the hero of this story. At first, you'd think this is pretty good. Relaxing even. But thats when you hear him speak. Don't get me wrong, Frankie Jonas does a pretty decent job with the voice. Its just the acting thats the problem. He sounds like his entire purpose is to point out the obvious and speak awkwardly. I don't care if his character is only 5. No kid speaks like that.

Here's a segment I like to call, Good News, Bad News. A segment where I discuss good traits about the movie and the things that negate it. Like Frankie's good voice, but bad acting.
Good News: Noah Cyrus (yes, that Cyrus)is better at acting than Frankie.
Bad News: Noah's Ponyo is like a cat scratching a chalk board while having a baby crying with a banshee. Its that annoying.
Good News: The voice actors for minor characters are great. Outstanding.
Bad News: There isn't enough screen time for them to get over the main characters.

I'm not going to reveal anymore of the plot, because if I know people, which I do, you'll probably go and see it anyway. So let me say something. THIS MOVIE IS FREAKING LONG! I spent nearly 3 hours watching this movie! Its like a calling card for Miyazaki. Spirited Away was really long, so does this one. But where as Spirited Away was good, this was utter crap.

After one hour, you should pretty much just leave. It gets boring after Ponyo *censored for spoilers*.

As for the soundtrack, its excellent. All of the bacground music is fully orchestrated. That is,until the ending credits. This movie has its own theme song. [link] Watch at your own risk.

All in all, this movie just sucks. Its too freaking long, the main characters can't act, the good actors don't get enough screen time, the ending theme is AWFUL, and its just a ripoff of The Little Mermaid! Really Hayao, I never thought you'd stoop so low. Just don't see it. It isn't worth it.

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
This review leaves me a little confused. You didn't quite explain if Ponyo was a person or a euphemism and what exactly you were reviewing. I can only assume it's an anime. Oh and the link you posted doesn't work.

Besides that, you gave a decent synopsis of an anime (again I am assuming) though a rip off of Little Mermaid sounds..dreadful.

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
I suppose it is a matter of perspective, after all anime is a genre that sports some wonderful titles such as Full Metal Alchemist to the not so brilliant, like the kid that has magical hands which can bake the best bread in the world.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I saw it twice. There were no problems with the movie. It was very cute and lifted my spirits.

I also didn't see Ariel's mother being a goddess, her father being a drug addict, there being an olde folk's retirement facility, or an affinity for four-legged animal meat in The Little Mermaid; there were no large musical numbers throughout Ponyo. The two movies were nothing alike outside of maybe fish... And a sea.

Like Totoro (a much older movie by Miyazaki), the plot is steered towards very young children and it should be viewed as such; see it expecting to see a kid's movie. Miyazaki had no intention this round of making a movie full of violence like Mononoke or with drama like Spirited Away. You cannot go into a Ghibli movie expecting that it will be exactly like his last few or it would not be nearly as good. He tries something different every time. This is definitely something different.

Skyfall said:
You didn't quite explain if Ponyo was a person or a euphemism.
Ponyo is a fish.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I don't think you really get Hayao. If you want to understand him as a director, watch Spirited Away is only going to get you so far in terms of his two styles (the first being his partisan environmentalism and the second being his attachment to childlike wonder). Firstly, you've missed the fact that it was supposed to be very close in plot to the little mermaid. Secondly, if you have complaints about the voice actors why are you watching it in English? Too lazy for subtitles? The Japanese voice cast is excellent.

In short: Your review is vastly worse than the movie. By rather a lot.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fightgarr said:
I don't think you really get Hayao. If you want to understand him as a director, watch Spirited Away is only going to get you so far in terms of his two styles (the first being his partisan environmentalism and the second being his attachment to childlike wonder). Firstly, you've missed the fact that it was supposed to be very close in plot to the little mermaid. Secondly, if you have complaints about the voice actors why are you watching it in English? Too lazy for subtitles? The Japanese voice cast is excellent.
That's the great thing about living in Holland. Every Miyazaki movie that's released here has good wholesome original dialoge.

Ponyo as a girl is like Mei's(from My Neighbor Totoro)twin sister. I loved the children in this movie, because they acted like children and not child actors.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
It felt like the main characters didn't accomplish anything. The fishy gods just led them by the hand and told them what to do.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It's too bad The Little Mermaid isn't a bastardized version of *gasp* THE LITTLE MERMAID! A Danish Fairy Tale in the Public Domain! GASP! How DARE anyone else EVER base anything on a pre-existing story! How DARE they, it's not like Disney has been doing it for YEARS!

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
I haven't seen the movie yet but based on what you said and other things that I have seen elsewhere, this movie is no more like The Little Mermaid then Spirited Away is like Alice In Wonderland. Yea it may take some similar plot points and themes but it takes them in a completely different direction and turns what was originally the convoluted mess of someones bad trip (Alice In Wonderland) and turned it into a beautiful story with great characters and an actual plot (Spirited Away).

person427

May 28, 2009
I was debating whether or not I should see it. I guess I'll listen to you. If I decide to see it, I'll wait for the DVD.

Kuranes Rex

Aug 27, 2009
Nostalgia Ripoff said:
Let me start off by saying this movie is a COMPLETE ripoff of The Little Mermaid.
That's an odd way to start off a supposedly objective review. Ponyo is admittedly an adaption of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale "The Little Mermaid". [http://www.ghibliworld.com/suzuki_toshio_interview.html] If you meant to say that it's a ripoff of Disney's 1989 version, this is inaccurate. It's adapted from the 1837 fairy tale.

Since you cite that the similarity between Disney's adaption and Ponyo as a major fault for your experience of the film, perhaps you should have researched it before posting your review. A simple visit to wikipedia would have told you plenty. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo]