Poorly Reviewed Games You Enjoyed

Brogan Cordova

Jul 29, 2012
DarkRyter said:
Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty fun.
I too enjoyed it somewhat when it was released, despite it being universally hated in retrospect. I haven't really played it since, so it might not be as good as I remembered. At least I liked it enough to finish all the endings and didn't immediately attempt to destroy the game after an hour, unlike Lunar Dragon Song and Phantom Hourglass.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I personally enjoyed Brink quite a bit. Even though i understand from where most of the hate came from, but still it was a fun game.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
The Wykydtron said:
hazabaza1 said:
Alpha Protocol was really good, fuck the haters.
I can also see the Budokia Tenkaichi series really easily getting shat upon by reviewers but I fuckin' love 'em.
Alpha Protocol? You mean James Bond: The Game? Yeah that was fucking awesome. Add that to my list definitely. Walking into a bar, then IMMEDIATELY dunking an important informant's head off the counter for fuck all reason just solidifys the game was amazing. It's all the little things like that that make it so charming.
Damn straight!
Oh man, and those bosses. Most are... poorly executed, but I love how silly cool they are!

FUCKIN' LOVE IT
I just want to join this love fest.

I loved how towards the end of a game a stealth focused character can feel like Grey Fox: rushing invisible through a room cutting the throats of every soldier as they get confused and distressed as to what is happening with no actual way of stopping it.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Valkrex said:
Varanfan9 said:
I am going to get sooooooo much flak for this.
Metroid Other M is one of my favorite games of all time. The game was thoroughly fun from start to finish, with a great and fluid combat system, epic boss battles, and fun environments. I enjoyed the story and found myself keep playing just to see the next twist and turn it was going to take. I also though Samus's characterization of a bounty hunter who has suffered from some emotional trauma from the events in her life to be very original and infinitely more interesting than just another action hero in power armor. The music was great and the atmosphere was very appropriate to the setting. It got me into the Metroid series, something every game of the Prime trilogy failed to do so.
Now it does have its flaws. I do agree Samus's voice actress needed work on her delivery and the switching perspective thing was annoying. But this was the first game in a while to be so much fun and interest me in the game's story and messages behind said stories than any game in recent memory.
Now let the hateful comments commence.

In terms of its gameplay I really liked Other M. To me the story, while it has some great ideas, REALLY messed up the game's potential. I understand that they wanted Samus to remain a bad-ass, wile also making her look more human.However, having a complete mental breakdown during the Ridley fight... good god. If it was the first time she'd seen him since her home was destroyed, then I could understand the freak out. But seeing as this takes place after Super Metroid, and she's killed him at least 6 times before hand... just no. That incident, coupled with countless others really ruined the story for me.

Gameplay was great, but the story really killed it for me.

As for the Prime Trilogy, those are some of my favorite games of all time, though I can definitely understand the immersion problem there.
The thing with Ridley was that this was the first time he's ever returned to life. Up to this point, Ridley has only been critically injured by Samus but never killed. He was finally killed in Super Metroid. So the way I saw it, Samus finally had closure on her parents' deaths, only to find out their killer has returned to life spontaneously. That's why she freaked out like that. Though I do think they should have made the scene shorter and more have it so Ridley grabbed her before she was able to react.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
Oh man, I have a whole list, not all of which i want to go into. But my main two would be Alpha Protocol and Silent Hill Downpour. Silent Hill Downpour was the most Silent Hill out of all of them apart from Silent Hill 2 and it had the small things that made it truly what we as silent hill fans were asking for, and yet still nobody could see it.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I liked Neverdead for what it was to be honest. It was funny, quirky, the mechanic was cool, if not fully put to it's potential, and the characters themselves were not as bad as people put them out to be.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Metroid Other M - got mixed reviews but the majority hated the game. I loved everything but the story and the can't move til you find the pixel sequences

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - I really like this game I've sunk 20 hours into it and still want to go back to it :)

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Just a glance at my games collection will answer this:

- Naughty Bear
- Legendary
- Aliens: Colonial Marines
- Warriors: Legends of Troy
- The Cursed Crusade
- Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard
- Knights Contract
- Timeshift
- Dead to Rights: Retribution
- Risen 2: Dark Waters

And oh-so-many more.

weker

May 27, 2009
The big four that I can think are, Alpha Protocol, Dead Island, Bionic Commando, and Deadly Premonition.
All are pretty obvious to most why their enjoyable excluding BC. BC really had some highly enjoyable mechanics and fun to fight opponents, sure the story was vomit inducing but it was still highly enjoyable game for me.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I enjoyed the last Alien vs Predator game, although I admit I ragequit permanently due to it's awful save system. If you're a developer whose game has three separate campaigns for each race that the player can choose to play at any time, you'd think you would expect one to pause one campaign and try another race.

So you SHOULD ALLOW MORE THAN ONE SAVED GAME and probably a chapter selection. Seriously why do we still have limited save slots and checkpoints? We're in the 21st century with GBs and TBs of memory that can expand.

I also liked parts of Duke Nukem Forever. I agree it was a bad game, but if George Broussard just stopped delaying it and cut out much of the horrible repetitive parts for a more condensed but solid game it would have gotten better reviews. Some of the levels were somewhat ingenious.

asap

Aug 10, 2012
Lords of Football has been disregarded by critics, but I feel its one of the most original sports games of the decade. IMHO game of the year contender.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010

I don't want to say it...

/epicflameshield

Other than that, Dead Island, Brink, Shadowrun (FPS), Shadow the Hedgehog, AVP (2011) and BioShock 2 come to mind... I can't think of many others right now

EDIT:OH SHIT! TIMESHIFT. I forgot, I loved that game. Glad to see others liked it it's quirky gameplay.

captcha: DINOSAUR SPACESHIP

Hell yeah.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Shadow the Hedeghog is pretty much hated by every one... I love the game though, story good, characters good. Heck I even liked the combat!

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
The Fable games.
All of them.
All three of them.
I love them with all my heart.

Also, Postal 2.
Fuck yes that game.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Brink. The world was more than brown/gray military junk, the character customization was right around Saints Row in terms of all out craziness, and objective-based gameplay that actually encouraged players to work together as a team.

Shame that the "shooting" part of this first person shooter was pretty tepid, and I can totally understand how the boneheaded AI would get the game such mixed reviews. Still, if you want a gun game that is violently trying to be unlike COD, it's worth a look.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Resident evil 5 and 6. There is nothing wrong with 5 mechanically, besides dodgy AI partner, but they didn't make the environment interesting. 6 has huge flaws, but I still enjoyed it. Heck, some of the campaigns had pretty decent stories.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I Love this game, it is for me the perfect 3D-ified version of the original Castevania games on the NES. Sure, the SotN games are pretty good, but they belong are their own thing, and I got almost anything I wanted out of this game.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Red Faction: Armageddon. Not particularly deep, atrocious story, mechanics tripping one over another and a few really awful scripted sequences (like the one when you were fending off suicide-bombing insects from the back of a moving truck)... and yet I had fun with it. The shooting worked, guns were fun to play around with and the entire affair almost reminded me of Ratchet and Clank. It was fun. Mindless, malnourished fun without much meaning to it but still fun.

Luke_Triton

Apr 22, 2013
The original Luigi's Mansion, which wasn't given as much credit as it deserved. That game was boss. Creepy as shit, it gave me nightmares when I was a wee laddie.