PopCap Games Shines Up Bejeweled 3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PopCap Games Shines Up Bejeweled 3

It's time for even more gem-matching craziness with a brand new installment of PopCap Games' Bejeweled.

Remember when Bejeweled 2 was given away for free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104233-Get-Bejeweled-2-Free-For-a-Few-Hours] and it was awesome? That may have been to whet your appetite for Bejeweled 3. PopCap Games recently announced the third game in the core Bejeweled series, and it's scheduled to launch next month.

PopCap is looking to legitimize the release of a new game where you basically just match gems by expanding on the concept and adding and bunch of new modes. Bejeweled 3 will have the Classic "match-3" gameplay type that the series is known for, in addition to modes such as Zen, Lightning, and Quest available from the get-go. Zen is meant as a relaxing experience, featuring ambient sounds and "binaural beats," while Lighting will charge things up by enabling players to blast gems with electricity.

Quest is an intriguing addition that brings players through 40 different puzzles made up of 11 mini-games. One of these games is Balance, where the board must be kept balanced as specific gems are matched. Bejeweled 3 also includes four all-new secret modes like Poker, Ice Storm, and Butterflies. PopCap says these "offer surprising new interpretations of the Bejeweled theme," and diverge from simple gem-matching.

But wait, that's not all. Bejeweled 3 will add new gems, HD graphics, high-fidelity audio, "ultra-smooth" gameplay that will allow players to make matches as gems fall into place, and it'll give players the opportunity to earn 65 badges/achievements. I wasn't initially excited about matching gems again, but this is a lot. I think PopCap could have another multi-million seller on its hands, and the company did it without relying solely on the Bejeweled name.

Bejeweled 3 will be released for the PC and Mac on December 7.

Source: PopCap Games [http://www.popcap.com/games/bejeweled3]

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Holy crap!
This casual game looks hardcore. o_O

I like the flashy and colorful effects. ^.^

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Why am I more excited about this than Assassins Creed?

Calumon: Oooooh... Shiny!
Because it's shiny and purdy?

OT: While it is very shiny and purdy, I'm not really that interested in it.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Did Bejeweled Twist ever get any fuss? That was freaking amazing but I never hear anyone talk about it.

Bejeweled 3 would have to be superamazing to beat it x3

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
So.... It's pretty much standalone DLC? Seriously, I enjoy Bejeweled 2, but this is just an update, but being sold as a sequal. Clever marketing, but I only ever play classic anyways, so no thanks.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Goddamn this game! (the first 2 at least)
Seriously, it takes nothing more than good and quick color and pattern recognition. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to form any kind of strategy or chain reaction because the jewels above the screen that fall into place are random and unknown.

It will have potential if the new game types actually vary in gameplay and strategy, but it's very hard for me to be remotely excited for more "put three gems of the same color in a row."

It'll take a lot more than more pretty colors and achievements to make Bejeweled a legitimate game. I'm still convinced that PopCap is evil and relies on mind control and middle-aged housewives.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Why am I more excited about this than Assassins Creed?

Calumon: Oooooh... Shiny!
Because PopCap don't screw around?

OT: How secret are the secret modes if they're already announced?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Popcap have some truly great games, but I do feel Bejeweled is their most famous, yet not one of their best, and really, since Bejeweled 1, how much can you add to 'find 3 in a row'?

Still, if it sells millions, it gives them the cash to invest in more games as risky as Plants VS Zombies.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
So.... It's pretty much standalone DLC? Seriously, I enjoy Bejeweled 2, but this is just an update, but being sold as a sequal. Clever marketing, but I only ever play classic anyways, so no thanks.
Oh, so New Vegas should've been DLC? And what about all the Guitar Hero games, should they've been DLC too? And what about Half-life 2, or all other sequels for that matter?

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
I play Bejeweled Blitz on facebook on a dialy basis. The game is addictive thats all i can say. Plus im now pretty damn good at it.

So yh Bejeweled 3. Looks cool. liking the new game modes.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Pretty, but I'm fine just only having 2.

Sure its nice and all, but I'm more interested in other things during the holiday season.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Kris015 said:
sir.rutthed said:
Oh, so New Vegas should've been DLC? And what about all the Guitar Hero games, should they've been DLC too? And what about Half-life 2, or all other sequels for that matter?
You're missing the point. This is like releasing Tetris with a new marathon mode and calling it Tetris 2. All those games you listed expanded story, had entirely new songs, more customization, among other improvments. From what I'm reading here, it seems that Bejeweled 3 is going to be Bejeweled 2 with shinier graphics and a couple new game modes. I'd say that's the kind of things that go along with most DLC or maybe a new map pack,or a content patch, not a full on sequal.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
Kris015 said:
sir.rutthed said:
You're missing the point. This is like releasing Tetris with a new marathon mode and calling it Tetris 2. All those games you listed expanded story, had entirely new songs, more customization, among other improvments. From what I'm reading here, it seems that Bejeweled 3 is going to be Bejeweled 2 with shinier graphics and a couple new game modes. I'd say that's the kind of things that go along with most DLC or maybe a new map pack,or a content patch, not a full on sequal.
Yeah pretty thin argument i had there, I apologize. But still, I don't think this could've been DLC.

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
sir.rutthed said:
Kris015 said:
sir.rutthed said:
It's probably worth noting that the game will priced similarly to a big DLC anyways, so I don't think it really matters. But eh, its hard to judge how much is new from that video alone.