Popular games you hate/can't get in to?

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Max Payne is a constant annoyance for me. From what I've heard, it's supposed to be quite good and the film noir-ambience should be a cool change of pace from that of most games out there, but instead I find the controls clunky, the gunfights are unpleasantly chaotic (at best) and the film-noir stuff feels overbearing and needlessly verbose. And then the whole game's so friggin' dark, I have to boost the light-setting (or whatever it's called) on my TV to see anything whatsoever.

I'm going to trudge through it at some point, but it'll take some time...

EDIT: Oh, what the heck, might as well get this one of my chest as well: Final Fantasy VII.
I have to admit that it is probably in large part due to the turn-based combat (where I barely understand anything of what's going on) but it's also in large part due to the storytelling being pretty lousy, in my opinion. I don't know who people are, what they're doing, why they're doing it, or why I should care. I'm really just going through the motions, feeling pretty disconnected from whatever is going on.

Nwabudike Morgan

Oct 25, 2009
MMOs that are successful and last longer than a few months. The ones I like always fail, I'm a curse I wouldn't wish upon and MMO dev. I was big into Motor City Online, and since I'm a big car guy I knew what I was doing when building engines that I amassed a sizable fortune with a successful engine building business. Sadly, the fact that only myself and a handful of others knew things like what the optimum cam grind for the low-end torque needed to ensure a good launch in a drag race was, the game failed. I played nothing for a while until I started I playing AutoAssault from beta up until the end of service battle royale. I loved AA enough that I sent NetDevil a really flowery email thanking them for the game that wound up getting circulated as a company memo, resulting in me getting a t-shirt. When AA went down, NCSoft gave me Tabula Rasa for free, and since I had gotten a bunch of AA time cards on clearance at CompUSA for 3 dollars per two month card I had something like 19 months of game time that was applied to TR. I wound up really, really digging Tabula Rasa and my game time took me from launch to free-to-play to death.

I should try to find an angle that makes me like WOW. I would wind up toppling an empire.