Portal 2 DLC to be free.

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
IGN are currently reporting that the first Portal DLC in the summer is going to be free:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/116/1165224p1.html

Sounds good especially as its not just hats. Also it doesn't sound like day one 'free' dlc move, so well done Valve.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
The free part is only surprising for the Xbox 360; I'm surprised Microsoft is allowing it this time. That said: "...leaderboards, challenge mode for single and multiplayer modes..."

Replay Value + 100 right there

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
The Xbox part is really surprising. Perhaps it's because it doesn't add any new achievements?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Pah, I wouldn't expect otherwise with Valve. TF2 has over 100 free updates.

...On the 360? Huh, that's... different.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
baddude1337 said:
The Xbox part is really surprising. Perhaps it's because it doesn't add any new achievements?
More likely because of Steam being on the PS3 now.

believer258 said:
...so I guess this makes up for all that day 1 DLC that costs so much, huh? Now I feel like a dick for all the complaining.
I think we need to get rid of this blanket definition for DLC.

TES IV: The Shivering Isles - Expansion Pack
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker - Downloadable Content
Portal 2 store - Character skins

Describing them as 'content' implies you're missing something from the game itself by not owning them.

OT: That they've had to describe it as such shows just how silly the whole Portal 2 store argument got.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
believer258 said:
...so I guess this makes up for all that day 1 DLC that costs so much, huh? Now I feel like a dick for all the complaining.

Day 1 DLC still is not an OK idea in my book, but following through with this is always a good thumbs up. Especially when the Day 1 DLC is arbitrary and the later free DLC is new levels and stuff.
Let the flaming begin

It has been discussed enough I believe, but still... people who complained about day1 DLC in Portal 2 are douches. Appearance DLC that doesn't affect gameplay nor enjoyment of the game is not something you deserve just because you bought the game, get over yourself.

I tend to frown upon most of the cases of project ten dollar and such I tend to complain as well of day1 dlc, as they usually are dickish moves. But in this case, complainers where just douchey.
Back on thread

Valve is constantly giving away dlc and more content for free on their games, specially as seen in TF2 and L4D 1 & 2. So... I don't see this coming as a surprise to Valve fans.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
iv never herd of the TES IV: The Shivering Isles being called anything other than an Expansion Pack

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Woodsey said:
baddude1337 said:
More likely because of Steam being on the PS3 now.

believer258 said:
I think we need to get rid of this blanket definition for DLC.

TES IV: The Shivering Isles - Expansion Pack
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker - Downloadable Content
Portal 2 store - Character skins

Describing them as 'content' implies you're missing something from the game itself by not owning them.

OT: That they've had to describe it as such shows just how silly the whole Portal 2 store argument got.
Agree with you and I'm amazed at douche's reaction to this game and its DLC Store seeing how big it was for such a non-important thing
...and yet people didn't complain enough of games like SSFIV where they showed the skins in the trailers (unlike in Portal 2 where it was like a nice little extra for those who were willing to put out) and for the most part you would have thought as a customer pre-buy that the skins came with the game for free seeing that it was such a big part in the trailers for it. Again taking into consideration that most SSFIV buyers had already bought SFIV and thought you had to get some goodies for buyign what would basically be DLC for any other game for 40$!

Sorry for the badly worded and structured english, but my rage meter breaks when it comes to this topic (regarding Portal 2)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Euhan01 said:
Sounds good especially as its not just hats. Also it doesn't sound like day one 'free' dlc move, so well done Valve.
Every major update to Valve games has been either free or as free as Microsoft would let them publish it on XBL for.
It is nice to see that, for the present at least, Valve are keeping up their excellent rack record of making updates and new playable content free.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
believer258 said:
No, complaining about Day 1 DLC wasn't really all that douchy. I thought, "Oh God - if Valve is doing it, then a ton of people are going to jump on the bandwagon and we're going to have Day 1 DLC that is part of the game!"
-Yeah, the difference being: Valve did it correctly, IMO. Not something that affects gameplay, not something that anybody's gonna see nor notice much, it was simply for extra stuff, I saw it like the payable skins in LoL if you happen to be familiar with that game

believer258 said:
I saw Valve's decision to have Day 1 DLC that costs to be a precursor of things to come. I guess I was wrong. Not wanting to pay more isn't douchy, it makes perfect sense.
Not wanting to pay more for stuff, is having a huge sense of entitlement, IMO, specially in this case. So yeah, Douchy as hell.

believer258 said:
As for giving away stuff - I'm a 360 gamer, my stuff doesn't get hacked and I don't need to upgrade every two years, but I pay a little bit more than you all for some things like online play, and I can (up until now) forget free DLC, except for (surprisingly) two of the Halo 3 map packs.
I don't get how taking cheap shots to PS3 owners comes into the discussion, then again, I bought it on Steam, and with it you dont have to pay subscription for what is in my opinion a much greater service than Xbox live is... so yeah.
I've also had my computer for as long as consoles came out and can still play all current games exactly how they'd look in a console. Consoles are basically PC's dedicated to gaming, that cannot be upgraded, So you'd only have to upgrade in case you want to play something and get it to look better than it does in a console or something that is a PC exclusive and needs extremly high requirements, which frankly doesn't happen.
Nice to have this 1 on 1 discussion btw.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It was pretty much a given that it would be free on he PC and since Steam is now on the PS3 it was safe to assume that it would be free there as well but the free 360 version is rather surprising, I guess Microsoft didn't want to be the only one with paid DLC.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to more test chambers and challenge maps and I do wonder who we're going to play in this DLC.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
believer258 said:
I don't see how it would be considered entitlement. I was talking about it being a precursor for other companies, or maybe even Valve themselves, to start having Day 1 DLC that's a more necessary part of the game.
Yeah, except Valve wouldn't do that. They have always delivered while respecting the customers.

believer258 said:
Besides, wouldn't you complain if you bought a game and found out that you had to pay to unlock later levels, maybe, or that sort of thing, and it was one that had just come out? When I first heard the term "Day 1 DLC", that's the scenario that popped into my head, and it's the one that I do not want to see happen. I want to keep as much of my money in my pocket as I can, which isn't entitlement. It's just basic instinct - money pays for necessities. The more I have to pay for entertainment, the less I get, and I don't want to see that scenario. Now, if I had demanded that the entire game be free or only cost about $20 when it had just come out - that would be entitlement.
Paying to unlock later levels... so basically Episodic content?
Many developers want to have that be the new standard and are trying to push it. I frankly haven't bought anything released in such a way and never will.(except Starcraft 2, and Heart of the Swarm is going to be an expansion, separate ladder and all.. so it doesnt' quite qualify). I have come to believe gamers vote on their "preferences" with hard cash... Don't like something in a game? Don't buy it, see if that developer tries that shit again if enough people don't buy it.

On your other point in that same post, "The more I have to pay for entertainment, the less I get, and I don't want to see that scenario." you are buying (if portal was any indicative) games as soon as they come out, if you wanna play cheaply then you need to learn to buy the either later on when they're cheap, and/or buy right away and end it/sell it before its price drops. Gaming is cheap when you know how to go about it.