Portal 2 Fan Dumps Mouse for Kinect Hack

DaphneRose

Apr 30, 2011
I'm pretty thrilled about this. It shows the innovation of a gamer and the potential games might have in the future. It definitely looks like it'd be a hassle at times, but I'd like to think that's because that's not what the kinect was designed for.

I'd love to give it a go myself.

Unclever title

Mar 12, 2010
Just seems silly and impractical for me. I mean leaning forward to walk? Raising your left foot to jump? Well, I understand there are practical limitations, but its hard to take seriously.

I do like the idea of punching our your portals, but that's about it. The holding your left arm out to the side to pick up and drop objects is the most ridiculous in my opinion. I mean, at least let it be something like, say... oh I don't know... maybe bringing your hands together? You know, something that remotely resembles actually picking something up? And then dropping things happens when you separate your hands again. Surely the Kinect can do that much, right?

If you've got the capability to work with something that sophisticated make the controls actually make sense!

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
Unclever title said:
I mean leaning forward to walk? Raising your left foot to jump? Well, I understand there are practical limitations, but its hard to take seriously.
Hard to take seriously? It's even hard to stand if you want to jump while walking. :)

It's a clever thing he did there but IMHO completely useless at this moment.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Fasckira said:
This sounds a lot more complicated than just using a mouse and keyboard...
yeah I was going to say more or less the same.

I think I'd rather just click a mouse a few times than clear out my entire room of furniture, stand far away from my computer screen, memorize a bunch of weird gestures, and wobble around like a retard.

Yeah it's cool that the Kinect can do this shit, but I really don't want to do those things. Stop trying to make me physically interact, video games! DO NOT WANT

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Looked at the video. What's with the horrible framerate? Is it because of the FAAST software?

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
archabaddon said:
Looked at the video. What's with the horrible framerate? Is it because of the FAAST software?
I was going to say...

The game looks like it is playing like crap, very jerky and poor framerate.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
The subheading for this article reminds me of Homer Simpsons, "I'm a college man! I won't need this High School Diploma anymore!" Then he sings as he burns it, and his house, down.

"You don't like mouses? Me neither! GET LOST YOU STINKING MOUSE!"

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's a very neat idea for sure and probably a good party trick(get your friends to play it and laugh as they struggle), the actual gameplay is really horrid.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Numachuka said:
Tuqui said:
Fasckira said:
This sounds a lot more complicated than just using a mouse and keyboard...
It may be more complicated, but with a good surround system, it sure a lot more deep.(sorry can't get the word I'm thinking)
I find standing up and awkward controls to be less immersive.
Now, a kinect game where your body gestures and actions could be read by NPCs to 'read' your emotions and intentions, and thus determine their reaction... that would be epic.

LA Noir has touted how the realistic expressions of its NPCs could be used by the player to read their emotions. Imagine if the reverse could then be applied.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
hawk533 said:
A well designed controller with well though-out button mappings to work just fine,
but the closer your body's actions mimic the action on screen the more potential for immersion.
Which is why laser tag is the most immersive game ever.

Seriously though, I love playing laser tag.