Portal 2 is Awsome!

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Just beat Portal 2. I'd say it is pretty decent, though it does not really have the same impact as the first game did. The game started running out of steam around the halfway point, feeling as if the game was getting to be a bit too long to remain interesting. Will have to see how good the co-op is before I really know how the overall package is. So far though... I liked it but I am not sure if it is worth 50$.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im actually less looking forward to the game than i am to this new song from Coulton thats supposed to premier in Portal 2.

Dont get me wrong, i am looking forward to Portal 2, just i cant buy it until thursday.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
RoboGeek said:
but more importantly the inclusion of the item store suggests that they want to keep adding content for the co-op campaign outside of the final release, and considering their history on proper playable content it will almost certainly be free. i don't know about everyone else but i would much rather have an optional item shop for cosmetic items and have free playable content rather than having to pay for both like most games do

There is always a chance that the shop bit may in future have player made levels and alike which would be apsolutely awesome, or even the inclusion of a source competetive online, but its a bit of a pipe dream atm.

Anyway, apsolutely agree, loved the single player, more complex and ingenious, expecially the ending, far more epic than the first.

Need some friends for online thou, ps3 broke few days ago whic is why i got it on steam, Lokipi is my user btw

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
The writing is so good, and it's so funny. The gameplay is great, the puzzles are interesting, and the new mechanics work fabulously. I haven't gotten to co-op yet, but I'm sure that will be great.

One massive complaint though.
I just finished, and I thought "Well that seemed might short. Oh well, time flies when you're having fun." But then I checked my steam. 5 hours. That's how long I played the game. 5 hours. God good, I've played games that were multi-player focused that had double that.

Still, it was a gem.

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
My only problem so far with Portal 2(Chapter 7 I think is where I stopped):

Cave Johnson's levels. Let's just say ~ and "sv_cheats 1, noclip, noclip, and sv_cheats 0" got tried by the end of those.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
There are some parts in Portal 2 where you have no idea where you're even supposed to get to, and that's some atrocious level design right there if you don't know where you're going. The puzzle should be "How do I get there?" rather than "Where is there?".

delvin313

Feb 17, 2011
I actually found it easier than the first iteration. I hope beyond all hopes there will be a lot of extra user-made content coming later. Great fun, but more like an expansion pack to me than a full retail game.

steelguy17

Aug 5, 2009
The whole "when life gives you lemons...." dialogue I thought was the best. Had me in stiches for a good 2 minutes had to just sit and wait before I could move on.

I only got truly stuck on 2 puzzles I'd have to say all the others seemed pretty straightforward and took a little of experimentation. The puzzles were challenging without being too easy. The level design in the game was top-notch. Its very hard to make a puzzle challenging but still simple at the same time. <3 Repulsion Gel.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
I loved it. I admit I'm easy to please, but there is another possible reason why I got a fuckton of enjoyment out of it:

I remained spoiler-free all this time. I didn't look at any trailer beyond the very first teaser ("Oh, it's you") and no other gameplay footage. Whenever some was inserted into a general gaming vid, I held my hand up in front of the screen until it was over.

In short, I went into Portal 2 almost the same way as into Portal 1. Except that I could think with portals from the get-go.

I didn't know about Wheatley (beyond the name - I thought he was the short stubby co-op bot), I had no idea who the male announcer was (turns out he's just a male announcer :p) and even though that first teaser gave away the overgrown look of the test chambers, the extent of the aging was still a huge surprise.

Though from what I gathered since then, only the early test chambers and Wheatley and the co-op bots were really featured. Thank god PR material didn't give away Aperture Innovators. Or did they?

(lol my captcha is ioerture 120 - aperture misspelled? HOW DID IT KNOW!??!?)

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Woodsey said:
I like the robots and I like the gun and I like whoosh whoosh and I like the standy-laser-talky-guns and I like the lady robot and I like the boy robot but the lady robot can be scary but I still like her but the boy robot is my favourite robot and is funny and silly but the lady robot does scare me.
That's an...interesting description, but you've convinced me. To the steamstore!

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
bussinrounds said:
Wow. Sounds like more of a rental if you guys ripped thru it that fast.
What happened to quality over quantity?
The game might be a "mere" 6-8 hours, but it's also the highest quality 6-8 hours I've seen in years. Add on the hours of co-op and the promise of a ridiculous amount of user-generated content and there will easily be 30+ hours of enjoyment to be found here.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
I finished it just about an hour ago, and... it was amazing, hands down my favorite game. And this is just single player, I've yet to touch co-op.

The humor was perfect. I loved GLaDOS in the beginning, she actually reminded me of Cassandra- the so-called 'bitchy trampoline'- of Doctor Who. I loved the automated voice, and the fact that Aperture was so prepared for the apocalypse, including some kind of animal or turret king. I loved the bit with the deer. I loved the 'if the laws of physics don't exist, god help ya' line. The Rat Man drawings and the one den of his I found- the art was lovely (and the moon phases were an interesting touch).

I loved POTaTOS, the whole bird thing, the... near confirmation of one of the leading theories about GLaDOS and Aperture, everything. Even the ending- I had it spoiled, but I honestly could not figure out how it could happen. But it did. And it was awesome.

The puzzles were great (and I managed to solve every one on my own, I couldn't do that in the first Portal, whether this is smarting up on my part or dumbing down on Valve's is up in the air), the ending song is... I like it more than Still Alive, it's far more... gloating, biting, whatever you want to call it. GLaDOS has well and truly won here.

The design was amazing too, I'm glad I have it to myself until Monday (until we get a new copy, it's a shared game among the family), I need to do a run where I just slow down and look at everything.

Again, the only real complaint is the length of it- it just leaves you wanting more, but it's great to see it go out on a (rather literal) high note than burn out its welcome. I can't wait to see where it goes next.

ETA: It's also nice to see Chell catching up to our friend Gordon in terms of doing things no sane person should ever do.

Lunacy, man... Lunacy. (... of course, that bit also gives me the urge to go play Hedgehog Launch. Again.)

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I did not expect to laugh so much honestly. I've never found games to be particularly funny, but I was giggling constantly at GLaDOS and Wheatley's lines.

I have to admit that I started to get a little bit bored by the constant puzzles around the middle, but the personalities kept me playing.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Judgement101 said:
Discussion Value?
If there isn't one burried in there, I'll add one: Did you enjoy Portal 2 and if so, what did you enjoy the most? (5 paragraph essay due tomarrow)
I would have turned in my essay, but I ended up playing Portal 2 instead
The end XD

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Best game I've played.
Well, one of.
Loved every single part of it.
The dialogue of Wheatley and GLADoS was great.
And Co-op... AMAZING!

Edit: Though I'm playing it with a random person. I wish my friends had it.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I loved the game, but I do have one complaint: where are the advanced chambers? I havn't played through Co-Op yet (it seems my friends value their exams over Portal 2) so maybe the whole advanced spirit is in there, but the extra hard challenge maps were what gave Portal 1 excellent replayability.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I love the game! The humor of it fits the style that I really like, and the environments really are amazing. I appreciate a game that makes you really think about how to get the tests completed.