Portal 2 : some concerns (Not Trolling)

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
The only reason Im excited about portal 2 is the song by Jonathan Coulton I am only semi exicted about the game

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Jordi said:
I have concerns, but they are not the same as the OP's. I don't think it is going to be just a cash-in. It seems to me like they are putting a lot of effort into the advertising campaign, and I really like the humor displayed in that.
Also, I really wouldn't mind if it was longer than Portal. The only thing to watch out for when you make a longer game is that it doesn't get too thinly spread.

The thing that I'm concerned about is that it seems really centered on co-op, and I will definitely be playing the game alone.
This sums up my thoughts pretty much word for word.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Woodsey said:
Fair enough, but:

Like he says, there were only a couple of truly twitch-based puzzles - and in a puzzle game, thinking and logic should take precedent over how fast you can move the crosshair, which is what they're promoting. I don't really see much of an issue.
Well I didnt ever say you saw an issue with it, I was just expressing mine. Personally I really enjoyed the sometimes fast gameplay, it mixed the game up a bit and prevented it from being too...heh...slow.

It really is just another example of gameplay suffering because the game has to "fit" too many different control schemes. And, it makes me a sad panda :\

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Cave Johnson convinced me to pre-order. Well Cave Johnson, and the bits I've seen of Wheatley.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I had some concerns. After all, how do you surpass a flawless game?

But then I saw ten minutes of gameplay footage.
a) It looked awesome.
b) It was fucking hilarious.

"Now, I'm going to attempt a manual override on this wall."

Concerns dispelled. Pre-order placed.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
kurupt87 said:
Jordi said:
I have concerns, but they are not the same as the OP's. I don't think it is going to be just a cash-in. It seems to me like they are putting a lot of effort into the advertising campaign, and I really like the humor displayed in that.
Also, I really wouldn't mind if it was longer than Portal. The only thing to watch out for when you make a longer game is that it doesn't get too thinly spread.

The thing that I'm concerned about is that it seems really centered on co-op, and I will definitely be playing the game alone.
This sums up my thoughts pretty much word for word.
I see it as just a marketing ploy- co-op is the hot thing right now, so show off your co-op features. I've also heard they're trying to keep the single player fairly under wraps, so that could also factor into it.

My concerns about Portal 2? None, actually. I was DEEPLY opposed to it when I first heard the rumors of it, but with everything I've seen, it looks better than I could have ever imagined. I'm just waiting for the 19th to get here.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
tzimize said:
Woodsey said:
Fair enough, but:

Like he says, there were only a couple of truly twitch-based puzzles - and in a puzzle game, thinking and logic should take precedent over how fast you can move the crosshair, which is what they're promoting. I don't really see much of an issue.
Well I didnt ever say you saw an issue with it, I was just expressing mine. Personally I really enjoyed the sometimes fast gameplay, it mixed the game up a bit and prevented it from being too...heh...slow.

It really is just another example of gameplay suffering because the game has to "fit" too many different control schemes. And, it makes me a sad panda :\
By the way he describes it they're only talking about the stuff that was unfairly fast.

It can be fast without being twitch-based.

Jordi said:
Co-op is a separate campaign anyway. And I imagine its to keep the single player story under wraps.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
tzimize said:
Consoles: Valve has already stated that the twitch gaming from the original will not be found anywhere. They say this is because gamers should not be disallowed to finish a game just because they are not fast enough with a mouse/gamepad, or something of the sort. This is just PR speak for: If we make the game as fast as the original only 5% if any of the console crowd will be able to finish it.
[NOTE: The following post is directed at the article that tzimize quoted, not tzimize. Just clearin' that up as to not incur any kind of confrontation.] I'm really surprised this is even an issue. I played the original Portal on the 360 because my PC was a bucket of crap at the time, and I didn't have much trouble with the speed needed even with the sensitivity set low. (Or however low it started at, which seemed fairly low at the time.)
OT: Unfortunately, I think I agree with you that it may not be as good; I might not even buy the game. This is mainly because Portal was great due to its simplicity and stark...ness, and I feel like adding all those new goos and functions is definitely gonna mess with that. That, and from the trailers, it seems like they've dropped some of the creepy, sad aspects from the first game, which really made the experience for me.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
tzimize said:
Consoles: Valve has already stated that the twitch gaming from the original will not be found anywhere. They say this is because gamers should not be disallowed to finish a game just because they are not fast enough with a mouse/gamepad, or something of the sort. This is just PR speak for: If we make the game as fast as the original only 5% if any of the console crowd will be able to finish it.

Thanks for providing me with a very ignorant statement. I needed to laugh. How many puzzles in portal we're exactly twitch reflex? I think maybe 2 >.> Thats not what a puzzle game should be anyway, it should be about using your head. Finally, 5%? Are you kidding me? Every gamer I know has played portal and they all played it on the 360, and I'm sure this is true for many, many more people on these forums alone. Stop puling figures out of your ass.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ANImaniac89 said:
I love the original Portal, but I don't think Portal 2 is going to be as good.
In fact I think Portal 2 is going to turn out like Bio-Shock 2 being a mediocre cash in at best.
I don't think it can live up to the original. I'm afraid the humor will be forced and if it is funny it will start another annoying internet meme ("The cake is a lie" is fucking annoying and everyone knows it).

Another concern is about length of the game. Portal 1 was about a 2-4 hours long game which like Yahtzee said is a good length, it prevents it form outstaying its welcome. So How will making Portal longer be to its benefit?

I honestly want to know if others share my concerns. I brought my concerns up to a good friend and he struck me upside the head and told me to NEVER blaspheme against Portal again.

Edited for Spelling, I had just woken up when I first posted this, Sorry.
my concern isnt that it wont be awsome (it will be!) but more than peopel wont be satisfyed because their expectations are rediculously high

the trick is just dont expect too much, why put a game on such a high pedistal? youll just be disapointed even it the game is great

also they may expand ont he story which I think is awsome! how ever like anything thats ambiguious it wont live up to what people make up in their heads

Lood NL

Mar 13, 2011
Portal 1 was basically an experiment to see if the concept of the game worked ( which is the reason why they didn't sell it as a complete game but as a downloadable arcade game), Portal 2 is going to be an elaborated version of the concept with much more possibillities.

My expectations are that Portal 2 is going to be better or at least as good as Portal 1.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jordi said:

I agree about the focus on co-op

however

1. Its valve they know what they are doing, ill give them the benefit of the doubt But ONLY because its valve

2. its portal

3. ITS VALVE

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I'm already wary about Valve after their biggest cash-in, Left 4 Dead 2. When I saw that they had Gamestop pre-order bonuses, I kinda gave up faith; it's kind of a signal of death to me. I'll still play it if they give a demo, and if it does turn out to be fun I'll buy it. It's just not an instant-preorder for me.

To those saying longer is better; not necessarily so. I appreciate that Portal 2 has introduced 101 new mechanics to play with. However, games like Portal generally succeed on their simplicity; a small set of rules that are expanded in amazingly unique ways. That's why Research and Development was such a well-loved mod even though you had no weapons for half the game, and ONLY the gravity gun for the second half. If they can still manage to keep it simple with all the new toys at work, that's great. It's just best not to cite feature listings as "proof" that the game will be good.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Anyone who is seriously worried about the game should watch all of the gameplay videos that are out for it. You may find your concerns miraculously dispelled.
Also, Portal was not 'fast' or 'twitchy'. I own the game on 360 and PC and I had no trouble on either. Portal's difficulty was all about the puzzles, not the twitchiness.
Anyways, I preordered months ago. The 19th can't come soon enough.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
For one thing... have you seen the trailers for it? The humor doesn't look forced at all. From the gameplay and the teaser trailers, it looks like it fits perfectly. Trust me, Valve knows how to be funny.

They also added a ton of new aspects to it, so it's not just trying to get over some walls like in the first game. You have to use that goo and such... honestly, I'm just trusting them on this.

BioShock 2 was worse than the original because the soul was gone. What I've seen, the soul of Portal is still alive and well. Now, once Portal 3 comes out, we'll talk about it being a cash-in...

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The problem I find about most Portal-like games is how they require so much precision. With Portal, though, I got along fine. There was always another way to do things, and if I couldn't think two steps ahead, I could usually stop and think before I kept going. However, I get the feeling that Portal 2 will be different. With so many gameplay elements, and co-op mode, I get the idea that I'm going to be throwing my controller through a window trying to make pixel-perfect jumps. I like the thought behind the idea, not the execution of it.

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
I never thought I'd never find another skeptic in these forums.
yes I'm as well a bit cynical 'bout this whole deal.