Portal 2 : some concerns (Not Trolling)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
seagoon said:
Woodsey said:
" and if it is funny it will start another annoying internet meme ("The cake is a lie" is fucking annoying and everyone knows it)."

What does that have to do with the game? I'm quite sure people don't write things with the intention of them becoming memes (for the most part). There is actually a design reason behind the whole companion cube thing too.

"Another concern is about length of the game. Portal 1 was about a 2-4 hours long game which like Yahtzee said is a good length, it prevents it form outstaying its welcome. So How will making Portal longer be to its benefit?"

There are more gameplay elements. Portal extended to 8 hours is outstaying its welcome, Portal with other actual features and a more weighty narrative is why its longer.

Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not really excited about it. But then again, I seem to be immune to the Valve infatuation that sorrounds these forums.
Not really sure why people seem to think its only these forums that so intensely love them.

The cake is a lie has no meaning other than the obvious... glados offers you cake... the cake is a lie! AKA - there is no cake - glados is lying! it has no deeper meaning and really doesn't deserve to be a meme!
I never said it did have a deeper meaning.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
First one was a nice bonus, it was fun and the ending credits made me lol hard, but it didn`t leave me craving for more, so ill wait for a review, if it turns out to be epic i will buy it.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, the trailers focus on co-op, as noted at least once before, because Valve wants to keep the singleplayer campaign a surprise for the most part. It's not because the game focuses exclusively on co-op. Also, the length won't be a problem because we have so many more toys to play with. And the game doesn't need to be simple, so long as it introduces everything as well as the first Portal did. Which I'm quite certain it will.

So yeah. I have absolutely no concerns, and fully expect Portal 2 to be about as good as the first (which, though I love Half-Life 2, is my favorite of Valve's games).

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
seagoon said:
Woodsey said:
" and if it is funny it will start another annoying internet meme ("The cake is a lie" is fucking annoying and everyone knows it)."

What does that have to do with the game? I'm quite sure people don't write things with the intention of them becoming memes (for the most part). There is actually a design reason behind the whole companion cube thing too.

"Another concern is about length of the game. Portal 1 was about a 2-4 hours long game which like Yahtzee said is a good length, it prevents it form outstaying its welcome. So How will making Portal longer be to its benefit?"

There are more gameplay elements. Portal extended to 8 hours is outstaying its welcome, Portal with other actual features and a more weighty narrative is why its longer.

Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not really excited about it. But then again, I seem to be immune to the Valve infatuation that sorrounds these forums.
Not really sure why people seem to think its only these forums that so intensely love them.

The cake is a lie has no meaning other than the obvious... glados offers you cake... the cake is a lie! AKA - there is no cake - glados is lying! it has no deeper meaning and really doesn't deserve to be a meme!
because internet memes are known for their deep meanings, right?

Actually, why are you so concerned about memes? Do they really bother you that much? No matter if there's meme or not, annoying people will be annoying, deal with it, being what they repeat "the cake is a lie" or "all your base are belong to us", you'll be bombarded with nonsense, IT'S THE INTERNET.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
sergnb said:
seagoon said:
Woodsey said:

Daystar Clarion said:

because internet memes are known for their deep meanings, right?

Actually, why are you so concerned about memes? Do they really bother you that much? No matter if there's meme or not, annoying people will be annoying, deal with it, being what they repeat "the cake is a lie" or "all your base are belong to us", you'll be bombarded with nonsense, IT'S THE INTERNET.
here here!

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
The fact that you need to include "(not trolling)" in the title of a thread before expressing your opinion on a popular game on this website just shows how much of a shithole this place actually is.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
People have already covered the gameplay and length aspects of this game. As for the humor, just watch these

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
seagoon said:
Woodsey said:
The cake is a lie does have a basis in the design.

The scientific/economical system that GLaDOS represents works by the promise of a reward for your efforts, think carrot and stick.

It serves as an incredibly simple yet effective joke about our flawed reasoning. We go to school to get good grades to go to university to get a good degree to get a good job and have a successful and happy life (cake).

It works on pretty much same premise as the beloved meme:
Step 1: Make Cake
Step 2: ??????
Step 3: Profit

I think its a great little joke that really did improve the experience in the game, and told us about a great deal about GLadOS' fixation on logic and poor bargaining skills.

I still don't really find it that annoying, perhaps only when the person saying it hasn't even played the game. But I think its great that this mockery of the notion of societial 'success'.

Don't even get me started on how its a much more subtle but effective look at our gameplay instincts than the BioShock twist...

Jun 11, 2008
No I don't share your concerns whatsoever. I found to original to be quite average with the humour being its few saving graces. The other being the challenge maps. The game was way too short. I am sorry but about 80% or 1.5 hour tutorial .5 rest of game is a fairly poor ratio. The game was nothing more than an appetiser and I've played Flash games more than Portal. So no its length was not a good length for everyone. Yahtzee does not speak for everyone.

On that point I want to say that I understand length isn't always better and that there needs to be certain quality as well. So I am not just saying make it longer will definitely improve it. It was way too short in my opinion.

The humour I really do not care about. The humour in the first was good but not great. I think people like it a bit too much. Although I do not really care in this department at all. Either it will be funny or it will not be. I can imagine it being the same type of humour so unless your funny bone goes through a massive metamorphosis you will still find it funny.

On difficulty Portal was ridiculously easy. The challenge maps help this a little but in a cunty sort of way. The puzzles have only one way to be solved which is a bit irritating but better than the campaign anyway. The other challenges help this too.

Mystify

Apr 15, 2009
I think the player-made portal maps clearly demonstrate that there is enough potential in the concept to last for a full-length game, easily. Add in the extra puzzle elements, and I have no worries about the gameplay running out.

As for the writing, that we can only wait and see. However, even if you remove all dialogue from portal, it would still be a great game. Yes, the dialogue was brilliant and greatly enhanced the experience; the wonderful fusion of all elements is what makes it rank so insanely high. But the gameplay easily stands on its own, so I am not worried.

Even if they can't pull it off to a full-length game, there should still be a section of the game that is full of portally goodness, and it would be worth playing just for that.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
A new Portal with new ideas, concepts, a (hopefully) better narrative and gameplay elements being implemented... I don't see what's wrong with it. It doesn't appear to have any "forced" humor, and the game is probably going to be longer... so? It doesn't mean it's going to be worse because of it. That's a ridiculous sentiment, to me.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
InterAirplay said:
ANImaniac89 said:
I love the original Portal, but I don't think Portal 2 is going to be as good.
In fact I think Portal 2 is going to turn out like Bio-Shock 2 being a mediocre cash in at best.
I don't think it can live up to the original. I'm afraid the humor will be forced and if it is funny it will start another annoying internet meme ("The cake is a lie" is fucking annoying and everyone knows it).

Another concern is about length of the game. Portal 1 was about a 2-4 hours long game which like Yahtzee said is a good length, it prevents it form outstaying its welcome. So How will making Portal longer be to its benefit?

I honestly want to know if others share my concerns. I brought my concerns up to a good friend and he struck me upside the head and told me to NEVER blaspheme against Portal again.

Edited for Spelling, I had just woken up when I first posted this, Sorry.
What are you basing these concerns on?

Ummmmm...... How Bio-Shock 2 turned out.

wrightry

Feb 22, 2009
The main reason why I think Portal 2 might just be better than the original is because Portal 2 seems like a more fleshed out game. Portal was awesome for what it was but it was just a taste tester to see if the people would go for it. Portal 2 I think is gonna be a complete version of Portal that goes past the bare minimum (which is why im not worried about the length. Plenty of amazing games go way past 4 hours and dont outstay their welcome. Example: Bioshock). As for the humor, I can see why it might be tempting for Valve to just force a few jokes here and there to appease cult portal fanatics, but I've been watching lots of trailers (especially the bits with Cave Johnson) and I think they're pretty genuinely damn funny. Valve hasn't really ever been a company who's sold out yet. Even with Left 4 Dead 2 they only expanded and improved on what made the first one good. So I think it'll all work out, we'll see what happens.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I'm concerned that I'll hate it as much as the first, or as much as I hate 90% of all the games Valve releases. I appear to be one of 3 people on this forum, nay, in the world that really don't care about Valve games.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
No offense but I think it's a bit stupid when people say things like this before a game has even been released. At the moment there is nothing to worry about, just wait until it's released and then start complaining if there is anything to complain about.

I myself am not so worried about it. What I've seen so far looks very promising, besides Valve has yet to make a game that I didn't like, I'll just trust them on this one.
There will undoubtedly be people who will complain about it not being as good as Portal 1 because it's not Portal 1, for many people that's reason enough to complain. They love Portal the way it is and if there is something different they won't like it. But different doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.
This is definitely not a cash-in, if this was a cash-in then they would have made it after a year and not after 3 and a half years. Valve gets enough money through Steam. They just wanted to give us, the players, a new and great experience and since Portal has proven to be very peopular, they gave it more effort and added more stuff and made it longer, so that it won't be the same experience. If Portal 2 would be like Portal 1, it would become repetitive and boring and then you could call it a cash-in because they didn't even try to make a new game.