Portal Fan Turns Computer Room Into Aperture Science Office

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Portal Fan Turns Computer Room Into Aperture Science Office

A man with time on his hands and a deep affection for Portal has turned his computer room into a gorgeous Aperture Science office.

I love a good DIY project, and this "Portal room project [http://www.telnets.org/articles/portalrm-article.php]" is a very good one indeed. The builder, a man by the name of Adam, purchased the house about three years ago but left the computer room a dull beige because he couldn't decide what color to paint it. Then it occurred to him that he owns the joint, so he can do whatever he wants with it. Why just paint it?

Instead, he set to work turning it into a full-on Aperture Science office. First up was the panel wall, which isn't actually made up of panels at all but is actually just a carefully blocked-out paint job, and a big Aperture Science logo custom-cut by a local sign-making company and mounted with double-sided tape. The lighted "test chamber" sign is actually a modification of a similar fan project he discovered on the net, scaled down and built for about half the price, and of course a couple of lemon grenades, made from parts taken from real grenades acquired at a local army surplus store, adorn the shelves. There's even a nod to the Rat Man, right where you'd expect it - in the closet.

But the pièce de résistance is the original, "real" oil painting of Aperture Science CEO Cave Johnson, courtesy of a guy on the internet "who specializes in turning any photo into an original canvas oil painting." The painting was mounted in a 16x20 frame picked up on the cheap, with an engraved, brushed-gold plate bearing a famous Cave Johnson quote - "Science isn't about why, it's about why not!" - completing the look.

[gallery=632]

The net result is brilliant, and surprisingly inexpensive. The paint job was $142, the test chamber sign was $95, the oil painting was $105 plus shipping and the lemon grenades were about eight bucks each. Not bad at all for digs as fine as this.

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5880355/man-turns-office-into-aperture-science-waiting-room/gallery/1]

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
This is the greatest room ever. Ultimate man cave.

The potato-fied GLADOS, the lemon grenades, and the Rat Man reference were some cool touches.

Feb 13, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
What? Did you WANT to see another tired Portal meme?
It's gonna be real tough cheering this on without talking in memes. I'd just find it rather spooky, and perfect for setting up that small mp3 broadcaster with GLADos quotes on it.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I think the hand-made Carson painting is the best part. Especially with the attached quote.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Oh my god. I wish I'd seen this before I painted my room two months ago. Brilliant work.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
In all seriousness, this is probably one of the coolest DIY projects anyone has ever done! And never has this song been so appropriate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NggUSbgRUhc

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
A part of me thinks this is a complete waste of time and money.

Another part says, I WANT ONE!!!!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gotta say...that is a pretty frickin' sweet office. I need to get in contact with this guy and order up a crate full of lemon grenades. :3

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
I want a poster with the test chamber number. Does anyone know where I can get the high-res images? Maybe from the game files...

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
*sniff* It's. It's. Beautiful?*sniff* Now if you excuse me I'm going to go cry in a corner because I don't have a room like this.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
I so want this. Just so I can rig up some speakers to relay glados quotes every so often while I sit in such a room.