Portal "One-Fifth As Likely to Crash on a Mac" as on PC

ahsingjai

Mar 27, 2010
I think valve probably saying Macs are less likely to crash is because their hardware are probably less diverse compare to the PC Gaming market. Easier to troubleshoot. Fix one bug will fix 20% of all players vs. fix one bug on PC will probably fix 5% of all players

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Thedutchjelle said:
I must say though, minimizing Portal and then maximizing it in OS X goes _WAY_ faster than any Source game in Windows. Minimizing TF2 and maximizing it in Windows XP can take up to 3 minutes , wtf.
It's instant for me, I'm on a tf2 server as I type this.

profit0004

Dec 27, 2008
I can believe it crashes 1/5th as much on a mac... If you want to play portal you need nearly a brand new mac, many PC users are still chugging along with old single core machines they have upgraded and tweaked and reinstalled and repaired.... Mac users have nearly no software to install and load incompatible things... Almost no malware is written for the mac because nearly no one uses it so the virus and malware writers don't waste their time.... And... The hardware is nearly 100% static in macs because of their proprietary designs... I always have said if you just want to read email and browse recipe sites, get a mac... They are really reliable because they are very specialized and non-adaptable tools. They are like a cell phone.. Most phones don't crash because all their hardware and Operating systems are designed for exactly one reason and purpose. But also most phones dont work with most programs.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
It's announcements like these that cause the ever burning computer war between people who have Macs and people who have PCs. Sure it's a little tidbit that we didn't know before and and now we do, but nevertheless it's unnecessary. I find it quite interesting that when someone buys either a PC or a Mac, they become salespeople for the damn thing. (ie. listing it's qualities, what it can do, the technical specs for it, and then continue to brag about how superior their particular brand of computer is to a leading competitor from the "rival" brand of computers)

Don't get me wrong, a little competition never really hurt anyone. But when someone/multiple people has/have to degrade the people who buy a computer made by a rival company just because they can seems a bit childish don't ya think?