Possible Battlefield 3 boycott

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Scunner said:
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
Fraid so:
http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battlefield3/blog/battlefield-3-limited-edition-physical-warfare-pack-available

So far it's an extra LMG with a bi-pod, a shotgun, exclusive ammo for said shot gun and a flash suppressor for sniper rifles.
Those are launch day exclusive weapons, so if you pre-order you have them unlocked straight away but if you don't you can still unlock them as you level in multiplayer. Which is what every multiplayer shooter for the last 3 years has done with pre-order DLC.
Players can storm the battlefield armed with powerful weapons and items only available in the Physical Warfare Pack

only available in the Physical Warfare Pack

That was a direct quote from the page.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
boycott never work. i remember back when people were boycotting cod and on releasse day you could go into your steams friends list and see all the boycott people on cod.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I really don't see this boycott going anywhere. And this is the first chance to topple CoD in years.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Selvec said:
Hahahaha.

No.

The alternative is to let sales go to COD, and I don't think anyone wants to encourage that series to live any longer.

When you find crediable proof, let me know. Though I find it hard to believe DICE would allow this to happen given they are giving away a whole service that COD charges for, for free.
http://bit.ly/iob0EJ

My work here is done.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
What? Are you serious? Most of the people here are getting BF3 to boycott COD. That and the fact it looks truly remarkable and is a proper new entry into the BF franchise...

EA have done this before, but to be honest it doesn't make much difference to online play anyway. But if you want to miss out feel free.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Anaklusmos said:
Scunner said:
Fraid so:
http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battlefield3/blog/battlefield-3-limited-edition-physical-warfare-pack-available

So far it's an extra LMG with a bi-pod, a shotgun, exclusive ammo for said shot gun and a flash suppressor for sniper rifles.
Those are launch day exclusive weapons, so if you pre-order you have them unlocked straight away but if you don't you can still unlock them as you level in multiplayer. Which is what every multiplayer shooter for the last 3 years has done with pre-order DLC.
Players can storm the battlefield armed with powerful weapons and items only available in the Physical Warfare Pack

"Also included is day one access to the highly versatile DAO-12 semi-automatic shotgun itself"

not sure about everything else, but he may have been referring to this. (also a direct quote from the page)

OT: I honestly don't see the point here. This is marketing to encourage people to preorder the game. You're not losing any missions or any real content. Just some random crap most people wouldn't use anyway. I feel like any boycott because of that seems a little more like overreacting.

Captcha: time icesink
oh, thank you for reminding me to mention Frostbite 2

Wireframefool

Mar 20, 2011
Eh, another soon to be fruitless boycott, so what if some weapons and attachments are exclusive? Doesn't really make 'em any better. Besides, the shotgun is in the multilayer, you just get it day one. And that's all i'm interested in, to be honest.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
So, for the pre-order, they get:
-An LMG (which I won't use because I'm not an LMG guy)
-A flash suppresser for a single sniper (which is only for the SKS, so I can imagine that the attachment will be usable on other snipers)
-flechette ammo for a shot gun (Also for the DAO-12, again, it should be available on other shotguns as well)

That's it. They get day one access to a shotgun, but I can imagine that you can unlock it via playing the game by the end of day one anyway.

So... Yeah. They get a few things that I can imagine are somewhat useful, but I don't think that anyone is going to hang themselves over not having.

player3141

May 16, 2011
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hy24b/battlefield_3_preorder_dlc_boycott_coordination/

I hate pre-orders with exclusive content. I never preorder (portal 2 being the only exception) because I don't like the idea of paying in advance. If they want more people to pre-order, why not take 10% off like most other publishers and offer the guns and maps as DLC for $10.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I've never seen an effective boycott, mainly because people can't resist the temptation of the game solely over one feature.

I'm a bit peeved over this, but it's not enough to boycott the game. It certainly lowers my thoughts about it, and ironically preorder bonsuses tend to convince me NOT to buy it. Still, given that most companies are smart about these kinds of DLC and make it a relatively useless item, I'm not bothered. Team Fortress 2 has committed far worse atrocities with its various Steam-preorder-bonuses.

"Spend $50 on this hat for Team Fortress 2, and you'll get a free GAME preordered as well!

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
Anaklusmos said:
Scunner said:
Fraid so:

"Also included is day one access to the highly versatile DAO-12 semi-automatic shotgun itself"

not sure about everything else, but he may have been referring to this. (also a direct quote from the page)

OT: I honestly don't see the point here. This is marketing to encourage people to preorder the game. You're not losing any missions or any real content. Just some random crap most people wouldn't use anyway. I feel like any boycott because of that seems a little more like overreacting.

Captcha: time icesink
oh, thank you for reminding me to mention Frostbite 2
It's not encouraging people to pre-order, it's encouraging to pre-order from a specific retailer, but what about Americans, how are they going to pre-order from GAME or Gamestation, which as far as I am aware are UK exclusive shops.

Also, what about

the Physical Warfare Pack also includes the Battlefield 3 Back to Karkand digital expansion pack. Players can wage all-out war on four of the most celebrated maps from Battlefield 2, including Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman and the Sharqi Peninsula
I'm not sure, but to me that sounds like missions, I might be totally wrong about this, and if I am correct me and I will retract this statement.

gregitaly

Mar 12, 2009
Meh, doesn't affect me much. You unlock them by just paying $5 extra for the pre-order, which is also showing your support to a fantastic series, sounds like a win/win to me. Besides you'll usually find one weapon for your favorite class you'll end up sticking with most of the game, so extra guns are worthless. I mean boycott if it makes your balls feel big, but I'm happy with mine enough not to boycott one of my favorite series.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Anaklusmos said:
There may be similar bonuses from preordering from other retailers. This is really the first I've heard of it, and even if I didn't get access I honestly wouldn't care much. It doesn't sound like anything other than fluff, the actual game is still there.

The "expansion pack" may just be a couple more maps, or missions. The wording is unclear, which makes it hard to discern what the extra content actually is.

EDIT: I looked into it, and the expansion pack is available if you preorder it period, at least through amazon as well: http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1307928840&sr=1-1

also, they are maps, and NOT missions

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Meh, I'm looking forward to this game. We've needed a new BF2 for a long time. T'was the best game I'd played in a really long time.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
That's how pre-order bonus's work. You probably just unlock those items early or something. It still looks like a great game and I may pick it up. Fallout New Vegas had pre-order bonus's too that you couldn't get if you didn't pre-order it, still play it and I have over 100 hours logged so its whatever when it comes to weapons or items with pre-orders. If they give exclusive DLC that expands the plot then we'll talk.

Nov 12, 2010
Selvec said:
Hahahaha.

No.

The alternative is to let sales go to COD, and I don't think anyone wants to encourage that series to live any longer.

When you find crediable proof, let me know. Though I find it hard to believe DICE would allow this to happen given they are giving away a whole service that COD charges for, for free.
Fraid so:

and I can't even get it for being on the wrong half of the planet!

dannybates

Aug 18, 2010
This creates an competitive unbalanced game because some players can't access some weapons.

And they are spending game development time on producing day one dlc's which could be spent on making the game actully better.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
meh, dont care. Pre-ordered as soon as i could and i'm getting it even if it only comes with 1 map