Possible Problem

Railgun88

Dec 27, 2008
So me and my girlfriend whom Ive been dating for 2 months now hit on a topic tonight that could be a possible problem in the near future. We were talking about a guy whom I know, that seems to know all the buttons to press to get my girlfriend, Emily, to start to fall for him time and again. She knows this and has to work at a local fair that he works at too because they are both in the fire department and both work at the dunk tank. She knows that he will pull this trick again and fears it because she honestly loves me. I know this sheerly from the events over the last 2 months and the fact that she was finally able to say I love you after a month. Thats big because she had a fear of saying it due to trust issues that the same guy caused. My question is, "How can I stop him and help her bury the memories of him that allow him to pull this load of shit?"

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if this was 5 years back I would suggest bloody knuckles and black eyes, but I learned that this doesn't actually resolve anything apart from some ego stroking.

The best you can do is ask him politely to give it a rest, he may not be aware how serious you two are and will leave her well alone, but usually guys like that don't really stop at anything.
In which case it is on your GF to get past it, you can try to match his enthusiasm to make her decision smoother but at the end of the day everyone decides who they want to be with on their own (a relationships is after all a consensual partnership, not ownership).

And on that topic you also need to consider who you are really with, if the girl can't see past some macho facade...
But hey I don't actually know you two, I'm just guessing here.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Railgun88 said:
So me and my girlfriend whom Ive been dating for 2 months now hit on a topic tonight that could be a possible problem in the near future. We were talking about a guy whom I know, that seems to know all the buttons to press to get my girlfriend, Emily, to start to fall for him time and again. She knows this and has to work at a local fair that he works at too because they are both in the fire department and both work at the dunk tank. She knows that he will pull this trick again and fears it because she honestly loves me. I know this sheerly from the events over the last 2 months and the fact that she was finally able to say I love you after a month. Thats big because she had a fear of saying it due to trust issues that the same guy caused. My question is, "How can I stop him and help her bury the memories of him that allow him to pull this load of shit?"
You can't stop him. Your girlfriend can.
If she loves you she won't cheat on you- she will tell the guy to stay away from her and that she doesn't want anything to do with him. It's not difficult. I'm kind of confused.
Your girlfriend is her own person with her own independant thoughts, if she goes back with him its because she chose to. He isn't some hypnotising wizard, he's just a dude.

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
I really don't have anything to add, I agree with the advice from everyone else. Free-will is a *****.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Yes, "No" is sometimes such a hard word to say and such a hard position to maintain. And I say that without a shade of sarcasm. But seriously, saying "I know what he's doing and I'm not sure I can resist" is pushing it a tad.

Phasmal said:
Your girlfriend is her own person with her own independant thoughts, if she goes back with him its because she chose to. He isn't some hypnotising wizard, he's just a dude.
This pretty much. So ultimately, if she brushes him off, good for you; If she goes with him and ditches you; good for you. It's just that good isn't always nice.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
There are no buttons. If your girlfriend cheats on you it's because she chose to, not because someone pressed the command key and compelled her. It sounds like your girlfriend confessed to lacking the mental faculties to simply refuse something she doesn't want.

That one's a keeper.