Possible vaccine of HIV and AIDS found.

Jul 5, 2009
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/vaccine-is-found-to-clear-the-body-of-hiv-virus-15154765.html

So essentially some scientists infected some monkeys that have the monkey version of AIDS with a permanent virus that worked remarkably well. It cures the body of the virus I think and also keeps the body on permanent awareness for HIV.
Aside from the possibility of an I am Legend scenario, this is fairly awesome! (To late for freddy though.)

Thoughts?

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I think that animal testing is wildly inaccurate at producing consistent results. As much as I hope this does cure it I think its too early to call it cured.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
The only thing I that I se wrong with this is that it didnt work on actual AIDS as humans know and have it, and its in your body constantly, and you dont know if it will react differently. This could easily be something where you get rid of AIDS only to die faster of something else.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Radoh said:
I think that animal testing is wildly inaccurate at producing consistent results. As much as I hope this does cure it I think its too early to call it cured.
It's still the best system we have and has given us a lot of our breakthroughs in medicine.
Not really, there are several other, far more accurate systems that we have available that aren't widely implemented because if we changed the way we do it this late in the game a LOT of people would be jobless.

And this next part isn't really related, but I feel like touting some stuff I learned while I researched this in college. If we had been using animal testing longer, things like penicillin would have been rejected since they outright killed monkeys and hamsters, while they gave cancerous tumors to cats and dogs.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Progress is still being made, yes, but nothing to get terribly excited over just yet.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ah yes, testing Vaccines on primates. Because that has never lead to bad things before "cough" Planet of the Apes, 28 Days Later "cough".

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
and this is how the world ends. The virus mutates and turns everyone into AIDs zombies.

Reaperman64

Dec 16, 2008
We have decent preventatives for aids that can reduce transmission. Hoever there are certain african governments and european nutritionists ( Yes those hacks ) who have twisted public opinion against live saving medication for there own profit. Once we have this vaccination, here are other hurdles to over come.

Reaperman64

Dec 16, 2008
Altorin said:
and this is how the world ends. The virus mutates and turns everyone into AIDs zombies.
Every paper in the world is going to quote that and blame it on rap music and video games...

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
I like how everyone here is so quick to dismiss this article because there are far more important things to worry about...like...the new worst song ever (worse than Rebecca Black's "Friday).

As for the "there are medicines that extend the life of an HIV-AIDs patient so what's the point..." I'd like to see you take 12-20 different types of pills a day (half of which come with their own side-effects to mitigate HIV symptoms) for the rest of your life and tell everyone that.

EDIT: Even then, all it takes in one bad case of the flu or cold (that anyone else would survive) to kill you, even if you've been taking your medicines and being treated by a hospital.

On top of this, those medicines aren't even available or affordable to the third world or to people without healthcare in the developing-developed world. So yes, HIV-AIDs research is still a HUGE deal in the scheme of our species. Thousands of people still die from it every day, mostly women and children, as you sit comfortably on your fat asses typing all this intellectualized bullshit on why it's not important or useless.

"How can you expect a man who's warm to understand a man who's cold?"- Solzhenitsyn
Probably the best description of these boards when people talk about politics and society.