Post Your Favorite Trailers/Cutscenes/Cinematics

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
So, I really love trailers, cutscenes, and cinematics in videogames. It's an interesting blend of media; a non-interactive video clip intended to sell or convey story information within a medium that is entirely based around interactivity. Many could even be classed more as short films, showing a level of skill in animation, cinematography or writing that would not be out of place in a Hollywood blockbuster. Some of my personal favorites are as follows:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

This trailer sold me on this game pretty much instantly. It was a combination of nostalgia (Oh, look, Chocobos! ...Wait, is that Cid? Wait, are those FF6 walkers? Wait, is that BAHAMUT?!) combined with amazing music and action that really got my blood pumping. To date, I still can't watch this trailer without getting goosebumps.

Batman Arkham City: Death of the Joker

Arkham City is, to me, the best Batman story ever written, and that's due largely in part to this particular scene. The gravitas is perfect for the arc of both characters, and the voice acting is absolutely top-notch (hardly a suprise with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill in the cast).

And lastly, an old favorite of mine:

Mechwarrior 3 was my introduction into the universe of Battletech, and it was one hell of an introduction. This intro epitomizes everything I love about the franchise: gritty, hard sci-fi warfare, with battles being won or lost based on the skills and initiative of these elite pilots manning gigantic warmachines armed to the teeth with ordnance.

So what about you, Escapists? What are your favorite Cutscenes, Trailers and Cinematics?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Maphysto said:
And lastly, an old favorite of mine:

Mechwarrior 3 was my introduction into the universe of Battletech, and it was one hell of an introduction. This intro epitomizes everything I love about the franchise: gritty, hard sci-fi warfare, with battles being won or lost based on the skills and initiative of these elite pilots manning gigantic warmachines armed to the teeth with ordnance.

So what about you, Escapists? What are your favorite Cutscenes, Trailers and Cinematics?
You favorite thief! That's MY go to!

Well, since I was robbed, I guess I'll have to go elsewhere...

Crypt of the Necrodancer Early Access Trailer

Not only good, also pretty much perfect from a structural level. In 1 minute and 10 seconds, it manages to convey the basic story, the fundamental gameplay, the tone, and even the in engine look of the game. Most AAA trailers can't do that in 4 times the length. And they still managed to get the awards/quotes in.

BroForce Cinematic Release Trailer

Don't really think I need to say anything here.

Bioshock Infinite 'Beast of America' Trailer

The game itself was rather polarizing (I liked it, but I get why other people didn't), but this trailer, I think, is still pretty damn good.

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries Cinematic Intro

It's aged, of course, but it sets the tone of the game perfectly.

Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance Cinematic Intro (Combat Only)

Perhaps one of the last truly successful Live Action/Video Game intros, at least that I can remember. Like the MechWarrior 2: Merc intro, it sets the tone of the game, while also being 100% kick ass.

And the last stand gets me every time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok in hindsight, the end product did not match the trailer other than the location. You weren't able to make new path by climbing onto a mech suit, the robot thingy that follow you didn't cmae with a ability and that test tube monster remaing motionless in the game!
Regardless the trailer was just beautiful!

I just loved their choise of music like in the first trailer and the tone of it. Also seeing Metroplex pledge his service to Optimus Prime just give me the chills!

I'm a GW fan so seeing this made me chuckle.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
This happens right before the final boss fight...which is two giant robots fighting eachother in space. All the songs and cutscenes in this game are great, but this one is likely the least seen since its, ya know, one of the last.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I just loved their choise of music like in the first trailer and the tone of it. Also seeing Metroplex pledge his service to Optimus Prime just give me the chills!
Metroplex is the real hero of that game. Poor guy.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden

I remember seeing it on TV a bunch of times which is rare because they rarely show game trailers on TV (atleast not back then) and I was so hyped, I couldn't wait for my dad to pick it up at GameStop for me after work.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
His Divine Shadow said:

I would still love to see the world of that demo explored someday.
Isn't that pretty much Blade Runner?

As for my favorite trailer (I've done the post your favorite cinematic/opening numerous times. I need a break)
Favorite trailer of all time

EDIT: Ah hell here's a runner up

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I know damn near every word to this game and the sequel off by heart. Still gives me chills when I look at it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009

Ironically, the Goddess of Light trailer reveals my least used Smash character. I just REALLY like the Nintendo-Anime thing...I want more Nintendo Anime.

My favorite aspect of Mass Effect 3 is this one fight. It isn't just a Reaper fighting a Thrasher Maw, it's a Reaper fighting a Thrasher Maw so large, ancient and, powerful that it's revered as a freaking God. It's like a cross between a Kaiju fight and an organized Bug fight and the overall result is just really damn cool.

Wanna watch the Fist of the North Star anime in less than 2 minutes and rendered in the prettiest polygons the Xbox 360 can deliver? Then here's the opening cinematic of Ken's Rage! I really liked this game but this opening is one of the best parts of it. I'm always up to watch some Hokuto no Ken...sorry Jojo fans but I like this much more.

I'm sure there are a ton more but those are the freshest in my memory so those are the ones I'm going to go with...for now...