Postal Pushes Away Viewers at Free Event

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Postal Pushes Away Viewers at Free Event

More than three-quarters of the 200 people who attended the free showing of Postal at Hoboken, New Jersey's Pier A Park left before the film's end credits.

Many were quickly offended by the movie's themes and tones, particularly a scene depicting 9/11 as a misunderstanding between the plane's passengers and hijackers seeking a trip to the Bahamas.

"I did not like Uwe Boll's perception of 9/11," explained audience member Mat Levy. "It's too soon to mock a plane going into the World Trade Center. Do you not think there are families out there that had their loved ones killed on 9/11? It really upsets me that he couldn't care less."

Hoboken Mayor David Roberts refused to attend due to this same scene.

Uwe Boll doled out his typical defiant [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83949] remarks.

"Being politically correct, let's say, the big studios are kind of overdoing it," he stated. "I feel it is time now to make a really wild movie, something over the top."

He asserted, "We don't spare any group. We don't want to hurt anybody but we want to break the rules. We want to make people think: What is a taboo? We want to make people start thinking about their own boundaries and rules."

Source: New Jersey.com [http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1212387979228020.xml&coll=3] via Wired [http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/bolls-postal-se.html]

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I just wish someone would be able to tell how many walked out because they were offended and how many just left because the movie was crap and they couldn't endure any more of their souls being drained out of them by the epic suckitude?

-- Steve

Alexandrous

May 13, 2008
"He asserted, "We don't spare any group. We don't want to hurt anybody but we want to break the rules. We want to make people think: What is a taboo? We want to make people start thinking about their own boundaries and rules.""

I want to make people think: Why is Uwe Boll still directing movies?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
This is really a shame after the quality of gameplay and art exhibited in Postal 2...

Really, I saw this as finally a game franchise right at Boll's level.

Sgt. Gunlock

May 27, 2008
WTF why is this guy is still makeing movies Come the fuck on how stupid does someone have to be to let this guy make Movies For the Love of God Make it stop Before he ruins a good gameing Franchise

Wolfdale

Apr 28, 2008
Honestly, I have a hard time imagining a hardcore gamer really enjoying any of Uwe Boll's movies. Every game movie he's done so far (the three that I can remember immediately off-hand are Blood Rayne [1 & 2] and House of the Dead) were all absolute shit. The acting was bad, the camera was pathetic, and the effects bordered what I used to see whilst working at the local college TV station.

In all honesty, I've seen more interesting films come out of that college, and that's pretty pathetic considering that most of those kids are working with sub-par equipment and budgets that are nigh-on nonexistent.

Mind you, all of this slamming has nothing to do with the idea of Postal itself, but I think that Boll is, as usual missing the point. Postal 2 wasn't about 'breaking boundaries of political correctness' or any of that gobshite, but rather just going absolutely batshit in a world populated by stereotypes of what can only easily be described as stupidity in the modern age.

The last rumor (unsubstantiated) that I heard of Boll was him demanding Hideo Kojima name him director of the Metal Gear Solid movie, to which Kojima supposedly said 'hell no'. This is, however, unsubstantiated, so if anyone has a link I'd appreciate it.

Soulfein

Dec 20, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Go on Uwe, make a film about how stupid Islam is next, I'm sure they'd love it.
Even if you don't like the guy, you dont have to get him killed by some raging Muslims.

said:
"Being politically correct, let's say, the big studios are kind of overdoing it," he stated. "I feel it is time now to make a really wild movie, something over the top."
This could be a good thing. It could show that he intends to change things by mixing it up. Maybee it will suck, but will pave the way for new types of films! Although he has made some godawfull movies, mahaps this will be the turning point that we'll look back on and say "Wow, this is when films changed forever." Not plausable, but its better to put out a ridiculous theory with some chance of it being right then look back on it later.

ZeroExclamation

Jan 2, 2008
Soulfein said:
Even if you don't like the guy, you dont have to get him killed by some raging Muslims.

said:
This could be a good thing. It could show that he intends to change things by mixing it up. Maybee it will suck, but will pave the way for new types of films! Although he has made some godawfull movies, mahaps this will be the turning point that we'll look back on and say "Wow, this is when films changed forever." Not plausable, but its better to put out a ridiculous theory with some chance of it being right then look back on it later.
There's a difference between breaking taboo and genuinely offending people though.

portuga-man

Dec 23, 2007
If the 9/11 scene people are talking about is the same I've seen some time ago....

I dare to say i laughed. Still, I dunno anything (else?) about the movie.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Why does everyone knock this genius director? He is the Ford Coppella of his generation. His cinematic visions are a moving enditement on the state of todays society.

Sorry must go and turn off my irony alarm

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
Soulfein said:
Didn't he offend the muslims as well in this movie? I don't think he would hold back on them now that he's out with the big hammer of offending. Haven't seen it, but i suspect quite a lot of muslims could be offended by his supposed stereotypes and take on terror.

Soulfein

Dec 20, 2007
ZeroExclamation said:
There's a difference between breaking taboo and genuinely offending people though.
Not really. Breaking taboo offends people, which is why its taboo. If no one cared, then the taboo would not be there.

Feb 13, 2008
electric discordian said:
Why does everyone knock this genius director? He is the Ford Coppella of his generation. His cinematic visions are a moving enditement on the state of todays society.

Sorry must go and turn off my irony alarm
Ironically, I think you mean your sarcasm alarm. ;)

REDH4MMER

Feb 27, 2008
Uskis said:
Soulfein said:
Didn't he offend the muslims as well in this movie? I don't think he would hold back on them now that he's out with the big hammer of offending. Haven't seen it, but i suspect quite a lot of muslims could be offended by his supposed stereotypes and take on terror.
Who cares if he did or not, like when aren't muslims offended?

His movie might be crap but I think the point hes trying to make with it is, to push back against the walls of ever closing Political correctness. Which is a good thing.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Apparently, the movie is better then "Speed Racer," or at least according to Stuttering Craig of Screwattack.com.
Yeah, some of that stuff sounds pretty bad, though...

Nov 28, 2007
I'm sorry, but even though Uwe Boll says he is doing it to defy political correctness, I think he's full of shit. He's doing it because he can. Was House of the Dead a warning about the danger of teen raves? He's just trying to save face.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Garfgarog said:
Uwe Boll is a genius. Anyone that doesn't see this is no better than those crybabies that think every movie ever released has to be perfect and win a hundred Oscars.
please be sarcastic please be sarcastic please be sarcastic please be sarcastic...if your not...TO THE DUNGEON! but then again you are an endangered species and possibly the last of your kind...oh screw it off with your head

god even the movie poster sucks horribly

bashing Uwe is a waste of time, its just not worth it