Potential friendship destroying games

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
So, I was browsing the internet one day when I spotted something about a board game and learned that this board game was called.....Diplomacy. I then began to read about the history behind this game and continued to read more until I came to the conclusion....I should stay away from this game forever. Geez, this game has some bad history behind it, even though the game sounds interesting, with the ability to cause friends to be at each others throats and such. So yeah, what kind of games do you know would be able to break the strongest of bonds?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Two words: Dokapon Kingdom. The game box advertises it as being "The Friendship Destroying Game!". That is not an empty boast. The injustices you can heap upon whoever dares to play it with you are staggering. Stuff ranging from renaming them, drawing on their faces, making them wanted. the list goes on! Not to mention the game loves to pummel you until your comatose with random chance playing a major factor in the gameplay. Still, if you can get four peeps together, it can be a blast. Though I recommend setting a timer so the game doesn't drag on too long and too many feelings get hurt.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Crusader Kings II has quite a bit of potential for that too, should you (or your friend) decide to start trolling each other in the game. Between plots, raising rebellions, and discreet assassinations, you could really do a number on each other.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Monopoly - "Guaranteed to make you hate your friends & family in no more than 3 hours! XD" Settlers of Catan has this power as well but I haven't played it as much...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Monopoly and Risk are the classics. One of the reasons I don't really play either of them. Some people just take them both way too seriously.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Two words: Dokapon Kingdom.
Welp, I was beaten to the punch right on the first post. I can pretty much say that this person is spot on with how Dokapon Kingdom is. This game can ruin friendships more than any Mario Party game ever could. The game is a lot of fun, but gets antagonistic when playing with others very quickly.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Perhaps the most known to me is portal 2 co op and left 4 dead co op. When your group/ partner are working like a well oiled machine its awesome. But when the dynamic just isn't working or some friends are just being a bit slow they can be the most frustrating games to play. Especially since both force you to rely on eachother. One bad player in left 4 dead can bring down the whole team XD Plus you know who your friends really are when they leave you on the floor a foot away from the escape door.

Trying to explain a solution to a puzzle can be particularly tedious.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Any MOBA game if you let them get to you. Seriously, I think our one hilarious curbstomp game of DOTA 2 actually broke a friendship on the other team. Their Antimage was raging and at the end of the game, the rest of the team was saying stuff like "we don't play with Jack anymore"

It would be tragic if the Antimage wasn't so blind as to how shit his own skill level was. I thought I was bad at this game but you managed to feed with fucking ANTIMAGE. How? Worst comes to worst max Blink over Mana Break and you're set.

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
Neronium said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Two words: Dokapon Kingdom.
Welp, I was beaten to the punch right on the first post. I can pretty much say that this person is spot on with how Dokapon Kingdom is. This game can ruin friendships more than any Mario Party game ever could. The game is a lot of fun, but gets antagonistic when playing with others very quickly.
It's worse than Mario Party!? Holy crap, that's insane and I thought Mario Party was a nightmare.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Demolition_Human said:
It's worse than Mario Party!? Holy crap, that's insane and I thought Mario Party was a nightmare.
Yep, it is worse than Mario Party. The game is on the PS2 and the Wii, but it's pretty expensive. The Runaway Guys did an LP on it that shows how bad it can get. :p

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Mario Kart with my friends. And Left 4 Dead both 1 and 2.

Basically ANY 2 or more person game can be a friendship killing game. But those are the 3 that destroy my friends and I and have ALMOST destroyed our friendships. Mario Kart especially.

Like I almost broke off my friendship with my best friend over that one after New Years a year or two.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl is another one that can definitely break friendships. And I've almost broken a few off of Mortal Kombat (any of the games not just the newest).

OH! And Soul Caliber 4 almost broke my at the time boyfriend and I up.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Monopoly and Risk.

Oh, these games have been the cause of SO many very, very loud fights between my brother and I. The last one was so bad we haven't played a game of Risk together in nearly a decade.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'll go off the trail a bit and say Munchkin.
I mean, it's a game about screwing your friends over :p

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I really fucking hate Diplomacy. People lying to each other is a garbage premise for a game. Plus, there's the fact that I suck at lying. So yeah - I absolutely hate what it does to people.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
League of Legends. I basically just liked to play the occasional bot-game. An acquaintance who was nearly obsessed with it at the time decided he wanted to play a few games with me - for fun. I eventually told him I wasn't going to play with him anymore because he was bossy, quick to agitation, and was kind of a pain to play with. He didn't talk to me for a while. Apparently he's gotten over it, but didn't take it very well at first.

I think Scrabble also has the potential to step on egos and test some friendships, that and Monopoly (but we all knew that).

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Brian Tams said:
Monopoly and Risk.

Oh, these games have been the cause of SO many very, very loud fights between my brother and I. The last one was so bad we haven't played a game of Risk together in nearly a decade.
You should try Warlight. It's basically modern risk, on computers and such.

In the last few weeks of the school year, I started hosting games of it with almost half the class playing. So, so many times would there be a ton of different plots and such running through until it all blows up and everyone just starts destroying each other, and someone would almost always be caught in the middle with no allies and just torn to pieces.

It's rather amusing in Science to hear people shouting, "NO! GET THE FUCK OUT OF AFRICA!" as the rest of the class laughs because they just enacted a pincer move on the player.

It's such a fun but rage-y game, especially due to cards and such. You get cards by taking territories and they give you bonuses, like +10 armies this turn, or airlifting an army to a location. However, two cards known as Blockade and Abandon are so, so rageworthy. When you play them, you turn on territory neutral and it's armies quadrupedal. That means that if you ever have a chock point with the enemy quickly closing, you play this card and laugh while they scream and try to get past a 2000 strong neutral in their way.

Ah, Warlight. You are a fun game.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Neronium said:
Demolition_Human said:
Yep, it is worse than Mario Party. The game is on the PS2 and the Wii, but it's pretty expensive. The Runaway Guys did an LP on it that shows how bad it can get. :p
... Is it rare? I've recently seen it new for $30. Might make it into my collection then.

OT: Magic: the Gathering. I had a friend that was an expert at making troll decks to poke his opponent. He made me hate slivers...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Demolition_Human said:
So, I was browsing the internet one day when I spotted something about a board game and learned that this board game was called.....Diplomacy. I then began to read about the history behind this game and continued to read more until I came to the conclusion....I should stay away from this game forever. Geez, this game has some bad history behind it, even though the game sounds interesting, with the ability to cause friends to be at each others throats and such. So yeah, what kind of games do you know would be able to break the strongest of bonds?
I immediately thought of Diplomacy when I read the thread title. Some people I know swear up and down that that game has destroyed marriages.

But if you wanna try it out, you can probably play it on an online website with total strangers.