Power Rangers - Go Go Get a Donut!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Power Rangers - Go Go Get a Donut!

The new Power Rangers will make you hungry for donuts.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So still better than the TV show then?

I'm probably a bit alone in this, but I prefer the bonding and early character exploration of superhero origin stories more than their action. Like with X-men: Apocalypse, it was most interesting as it was setting up characters until the CGI shit hit the fan and everything got a bit dull. There never seems to be any stake in the action, the CGI will always see to it our heroes will not face harm unless a less important, disposable hero needs to be killed or thought to be killed to enforce more emotion onto the main heroes quest for success.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Watching the trailer again, it still looks disastrously bad. "Pee in that cup" was pretty fun, though.

My comment for the review: I wish we had donuts here.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:

I'm probably a bit alone in this, but I prefer the bonding and early character exploration of superhero origin stories more than their action. Like with X-men: Apocalypse, it was most interesting as it was setting up characters until the CGI shit hit the fan and everything got a bit dull. There never seems to be any stake in the action, the CGI will always see to it our heroes will not face harm unless a less important, disposable hero needs to be killed or thought to be killed to enforce more emotion onto the main heroes quest for success.
The TV show may have never been "good" by most metrics, but it was charming at least. I suppose the biggest part of that charm was how the show was created, a late-80s Japanese TV show with decent practical miniature effects and super cheesy costumes cut up and mixed up with mid-90s Californian surfer crap.

You replace the cheesy practical effects with slick modern CGI, replace the cheesy, colorful pajama-costumes with modern day hockey uniforms (with boob armor of course, have to have boob armor). The zords all look like those colorless Transformers everyone loves so much. The originals just looked like toys because they were. Replacing the cheesy mid-90s Californian coastal city with some kind of depressed midwestern wasteland just doesn't fit.

I would probably disagree with Marter in a small sense, I'm not sure if anyone who truly loved the original will find any nostalgia pleasure out of this. It's hard to say it's for kids, either. I'm completely baffled as to who they had this movie in mind for, or who I would recommend it to. The Chinese maybe?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:

The show may not be good at all, but it had more heart and charm than this sterilized corporate product that was shat out.

This movie is embarrassed to be called Power Rangers. Which is why it is just a really bad Chronicle rip-off mixed with a really bad Breakfast Club rip-off. With Krispy Kreme being a main character. Screw this movie.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I heard well watched about the force product placement from the other reviewers on Youtube.#

Also in a related news, one of the past Red Ranger actor murder his roommate!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't get movie executives.

Exec: "Hey, we're gonna capitalize on nostalgia and get all the people who grew up watching the source material with this movie! Well, better take 3/4 the movie reexplaining everything that our supposed target audience already knows!"

Intern: "But sir, isn't that usually pretty boring and all the people we're marketing to already know that part?"

Exec: "Somebody fire that intern and paas the cocaine!"

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As someone that grew up with the TV show, I thought that the movie was a pretty fun ride. I agree that it took way too long for them to well, become the Power Rangers, but as far as establishing the characters goes, it did a decent job.

I don't know about spawning six sequels, but it worked as an origin story. At least future movies should skip straight to the actiony bits.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Fun fact: There's a Krispy Kreme barely two miles from my house.
(Now that I think about it, I'm close to a lot of places.)

I guess this explains those Power Ranger themed donuts, too.

Anyway, this is not one that I'm really interested in. Not sure what it is about this movie and the ads, but they don't make me want to see it, even as someone who did watch the show as a kid. Then again, I haven't watched the show in years. I just didn't really expect this movie to be "good" I guess.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont want to see this.

My brother does, but he is a movie slut. (I dont consider myself a movie expert or anything, but I wish he would actually say a movie is bad sometimes)

During the trailer when we went to see Kong my mother said she kind of wants to see it too...so I will probably be seeing this soon... ;n ; (I usually go to movies with my family)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I've been asking this since the movie was announced and still no one has managed to answer me.

How do you reboot something that's still active? Hell if this movie isn't successful enough for a sequel it'll leave the original source material active after the reboot. Sort of like Star Trek only without the years on end of nothing being made.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Zontar said:
I've been asking this since the movie was announced and still no one has managed to answer me.

How do you reboot something that's still active? Hell if this movie isn't successful enough for a sequel it'll leave the original source material active after the reboot. Sort of like Star Trek only without the years on end of nothing being made.
By doing a new origin story that's in a new continuity.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Marter said:
Zontar said:

But the old continuity is still active. You just don't see that with other IPs. Star Wars, Star Trek, and, uh, I'd say Stargate but that's been shelved because of ID2.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
When I recently went to visit my Godson in the U.S I went on a Power Rangers binge, largely because he wanted to watch Power Rangers.
I loved it. I mean, I'd watched some when I was a kid, but it was just oozing with charm. The rubber monsters, the dumb outfits, the monster concepts, random sparks and backflips, and the PUNS. Oh lawd, it was wonderful. His parents and I probably ended up watching it more than he did (Power Rangers Samurai was objectively the worst, and Wild Force was the best, if only because they had a giraffe riding a shark).
We decided that in essence, Power Rangers was crappy CG, rubber suits and puns. When we saw the trailer for this we kind of died inside.
I didn't want my godson to see it; I didn't want him obsessing over this sterilised Hollywood thing.

He did wind up seeing the trailer eventually, and bless him at 3 years old he proclaimed 'That's not Power Rangers'.

So yeah, I've never had high hopes for this movie, but some reviewers I watch on Youtube really seem to like it.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
JemothSkarii said:
He did wind up seeing the trailer eventually, and bless him at 3 years old he proclaimed 'That's not Power Rangers'.
I think thats the problem with a lot of these movies Hollywood is making at the moment, they just don't seem to understand what made the originals popular and just want to make a generic action movie dressed up as something they hope will come with a built in brand.

I'm looking at trailers for these kinds of movies, like this Power Ranger one or the Transformers ones or the Death Note one and just thinking 'That's not Power Rangers'.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zontar said:
Marter said:
Zontar said:

But the old continuity is still active. You just don't see that with other IPs. Star Wars, Star Trek, and, uh, I'd say Stargate but that's been shelved because of ID2.
I know you wont read this but...

Marvel.

The comics are still going. (Its garbage currently, but still).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Marter said:
The new Power Rangers will make you hungry for donuts.
It's interesting that they made one of the characters sexuality ambiguous, considering that in the original series, the actor who played Billy was gay, and he was mercilessly tormented by the rest of the cast and crew.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Xsjadoblayde said:
Depends which season.

McElroy said:
Watching the trailer again, it still looks disastrously bad. "Pee in that cup" was pretty fun, though.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12371531/1/Yellow-Ranger (shameless plug)

hentropy said:
I would probably disagree with Marter in a small sense, I'm not sure if anyone who truly loved the original will find any nostalgia pleasure out of this. It's hard to say it's for kids, either. I'm completely baffled as to who they had this movie in mind for, or who I would recommend it to. The Chinese maybe?
I could see myself enjoying it. Thing is, while I'm not really a PR fan, while MMPR is the most memorable season, it's by no means the best season. If you asked me to list the three best seasons, they'd go:

3) Dino Thunder
2) SPD
1) RPM

Everything these seasons have in common is that while they don't lose sight that they're Power Rangers shows, they do take their premises as seriously as circumstance allows. Things like, gasp, character arcs and whatnot. So, already, just from the trailers, MMPR seems to be taking a nod from Dino Thunder (fittingly enough, you could call Dino Thunder a remake of MMPR) in that it shows flawed characters who are forced to work together, with actual consequences (not as much as RPM, with the majority of humanity wiped out even before the series begins), and actual armour rather than spandex.

As I've said elsewhere, Power Rangers has always been at its best when it's allowed to take itself seriously, so in theory, the film seems to be checking off that mark on the list, but not forgetting that it's still Power Rangers.