Power ups vs zombies 2 and pay to win

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
I don't know how many of you have encountered the phrase "pay to win". I used to read this phrase a lot on Steam when users reviewed MMORPG games. They said the game would usually be fine until, say, level 50 when it got too hard and the only way to progress is by forking out actual cash to get some items/resources that make it easier to keep playing.

These took place in many "free to play" games and I suppose it was a way for the developers to actually make some cash for their efforts. Fair enough, but I have seen many reviewers explaining how the "pay to win" philosophy has killed games for people. For example, new users can pay for all the cool stuff while someone who doesn't have cash, grinds their way to a high level and is subsequently destroyed in a duel. That's a game representing the real world where those with power and money survive, whereas it used to be about skill, they say.

I pretty much managed to dodge "pay to win" gaming until I hit Plants vs Zombies 2 on my Android phone. Sure, it isn't PC/console gaming, but I can actually understand the anger of those reviewers. In this instance, someone didn't beat me after paying for all the good plants - the game isn't PvP - it became just too difficult to play without using power ups, which cost in game coins. You can earn coins by playing just about any level and survival levels gave you a chance to test your skill and earn coins as long as you kept going. I loved the first game and paid cash money for it. I was happy to and even bought a copy for my girlfriend who enjoyed the game as well.

I noticed the second was available and downloaded it months ago. The game went through different stages of updates. It was definitely tougher than the first one, but you could get through the first few levels, like Ancient Egypt and Pirate Seas, with decent strategy. Your power ups, which cost in game coins, could be used when you were in a pinch. I pretty much went through the survival modes of the different times in the game and saved up about 50 000 coins over the months. I initially planned to spend those coins on defeating Dr Zomboss by using the power ups to whittle his healthy down a little faster.

I ended up defeating him with little help from the coins, but between the garden and the survival levels, I always had some coins to spare. Then came the Dark Ages update, and more recently, the Dark Ages part 2.

Suddenly it felt like my pea shooters were actual, you know, pea shooters. The zombies rushed through and destroyed my plants way too quickly and I ended up using 30 000 coins in power ups just to get through 10 levels of the game. I relied less and less on my plants and more and more on the power ups. It stopped becoming Plants vs Zombies and became Power ups vs Zombies.

The reason I was annoyed is because, well, I enjoyed using my plants to stop the zombies. Now there's a wizard SOB who turns your plants into sheep, a king who knights zombies and gives them metal helmets and a jester who throws your projectiles back, which damages your plants and practically makes half of them redundant.

I am all up for a challenge but this was ridiculous. What's the point of playing the game if your plants aren't the ones slaying the undead? I understand they maybe wanted you to use your coins, but I completed a level with very few actual plants. The game also has in app purchases for other plants - such as the torchwood - and you can buy more coins for real life currency. You can also buy gems, which give your plants power ups when you plant them, and you can use the coins to give your plants plant food, which is also a power up.

Is this the way things are going? Am I wrong to be a bit cynical after the zombies violated my coin purse? Is there still some hope? Or should I abandon the PvZ ship knowing EA is at the helm?

Your thoughts?

Oh and apologies for the lengthy post, if it seems a bit much to read.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Shoot, I didn't even notice that this game was on Android already. Downloading now to check it out, though if it's anything like you say, then I probably won't play it for too long.

buttonsandzips

Jul 12, 2014
I feel your pain, I basically lost all will to play since this update. The piñata parties are pretty much the only thing I like in the game anymore. The game was playable until the last few updates, but at this point is not even fun anymore. It's super disappointing, I liked the first game so much, I can't help but feel kind of betrayed by that sequel.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PVZ 2 has been accused of being pay to win since the beginning. This is the first time I've thought it might be the case.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
The problem I think, is that you came to rely on power ups too much when you played it earlier. Now as soon as things get hard, your instinct is to use power ups again. In short, you have fallen into EA's money trap.

I played through the game from the start and have never once used the power ups. There were some tough spots but I learned to change my strategy to cope. I'm just playing through the Dark Ages part 2 now. I had the same trouble as you at first but now I'm using a combination of ground spikes, punching plants and big mushrooms against the jesters. They can't shoot back what you don't fire at them. (You can also dig up any plant that is causing you trouble with the jesters).

As for the wizards I usually take some of the small zero cost mushrooms and plant them in front of them so they target those first, the ground spikes take care of them fairly quickly. For the bigger zombies, and the wizards, you can also use the plants that fire in two directions and plant them behind them as they advance. But a combination using the zero cost freeze plant (I don't know why I'm blanking on all the names right now) and quickly planting a ground spike under them, takes care of wizards pretty quickly.

You're right about the game becoming a cynical cash grab though. Makes me all the more determined to never pay for anything in the game. EA don't even seem to understand the dynamics of the original game. The old catapults where used because of the sloping stages they introduced. EA have missed this point entirely. They've messed with the balance of the game without understanding what made it good in the first place.

EDIT: Another very useful trick on all stages, is putting a ground spike all the way to the right and using a leaf power up on it. It drags everything back to the right and does some serious damage.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Whew! I thought it was just me. Thanks for the tips floppylobster. I will give it another go. But I abused the power ups to survive and I see it wasn't just me. Now players seem to have to grind for coins (in survival) just to survive the main missions.

I played through a Wild West level a few minutes ago and it was way, waaay easier, so clearly they intentionally ramped up the difficulty.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
welcome to drip feed addiction.
the trick is to slowly ramp up the difficulty hoping you are hooked enough so when it gets impossible to win without paying you are too addicted to walk away.

game still playable without paying? give it time, it's the nature of the beast to keep adding more pay to win content until they either have all your money or everyone stops playing. the whole reason i don't play fremium games.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
MeTalHeD said:
Whew! I thought it was just me. Thanks for the tips floppylobster. I will give it another go. But I abused the power ups to survive and I see it wasn't just me. Now players seem to have to grind for coins (in survival) just to survive the main missions.

I played through a Wild West level a few minutes ago and it was way, waaay easier, so clearly they intentionally ramped up the difficulty.
Glad you appreciated them. I just finished the Dark Ages Part 2. Mainly used low cost plants. You can almost always get by with - Sun-shroom, Puff-Shroom, Fume-Shroom, Spikeweed, Iceberg Lettuce and Grave Buster as your main plants. And either Potato Mine (useful on level 19), Sun Bean or Magnet-Shroom in the last spot (or the Peanut one if they force you).

On most levels just hole up on the far left, and create a carpet of Spikeweeds protecting your Sun-Shrooms. Just in front of those, put a line of Fume-Shrooms, and in front of those, some Magnet-Shrooms (you only ever need three of these spread across the five rows). Keep using the Grave Busters to get more sunlight and plant power-ups.

Sun-Shroom -> Fume-Shroom -> Magnet Shroom -> Spikeweed -> Spikeweed -> Spikeweed -> Spikeweed -> Spikeweed -> Spikeweed etc...

Sometimes I work with two rows of Sun-Shrooms then dig one up and replace with more Fume-Shrooms when I have enough sunlight. Sometimes I use Puff-Shrooms to slow up their advance. On one of the levels I found the Puff-Shrooms were getting in my way so I dropped them to stop tempting me to place them.

Save the Plant leaf powerups for hitting Spikeweeds placed on the far right; powering up Sun Beans on levels where you need sunlight fast; Fume-Shrooms to push Gigantic zombies back; or occasionally on magnet-shrooms to shoot zombie helmets/buckets back at them. The Kings who appear will eventually die on their own if you just play defense.

If you're interested in any particular level I can tell you my strategy.