Praise for CoD: World at War?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I'm a teacher working on a video series exploring storytelling in video games, and wanting to get a bunch of episodes written before actually putting the series online. Right now, I'm working on an episode exploring the storytelling triumphs and failures of the Call of Duty franchise. World at War is the only one of the major series (since 4, at least) that I've not played, so I rented it and gave it a try since I have actually heard some praise for its campaign.

So far, however, I have been enjoying it less than... possibly any other game in the series. But for the sake of fairness, I want to know what people liked about it, because I have had students praise it, and I've seen people online praise it, and I want to know what people like about it before addressing it in a video.

So are there any World at War fans out there? I don't want to start an argument, I just want a discussion of the game's merits so I don't go into this episode blind.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not a fan but it's the only CoD game I ever played so I can only compare to other FPS's. If I recall correctly you switch between two campaigns on the Russian and the American side of the battlefront while the armies close in on Berlin right? Kiefer Sutherland voices the American commander, Gary Oldman the Russian one. The thing is I played it on co-op with a friend who knew all the scripted sequences by heart so her was constantly bossing me where to go and what to do, so it wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I think what made World at War garner some praise was that the European theater was only portrayed from a Soviet perspective and featured a relatively nuanced depiction of Soviet soldiers during WW2, both as heroic and as occasional bastards (the PoW scene in the farmhouse), not to mention Gary Oldman putting in way too much effort into what was effectively a Ron Perlman from Enemy at the Gates rip-off.
The American side of the campaign gained most of the praise however because it featured a pretty effective "buddies in arms" story while managing to portray some of the grimness of the pacific theater. On top of that it also had a pretty noteworthy final scene (with the Japanese PoWs).

All in all, World at War isn't very praise worthy when put up against games with more focus on narrative (ie. Portal, Deus ex etc.), but it is a typical Treyarch game in that it tells a decent story and manages to evoke some emotional responses from the player with relatively small means. It is a game solidly grounded in other pop-culture depictions of the same scenarios (Enemies at the Gate and The Pacific) and uses that to maximum effect in engaging the player.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Keep in mind what it did compared to other WWII shooters.

For starters, half the campaign was set in the Pacific, which remained a mostly unexplored theme in WWII shooters. Medal of Honor touched on it in Rising Sun and Pacific Assault, and Battlefield had maps from it in BF1942 (BF1943 hadn't released yet), but not very many people played any of those, and Rising Sun was received horribly so we could also exclude that if we wanted to, and BF1942 didn't actually explore the Pacific side of the war so we could also exclude that. There were some other minor games set in the Pacific, but they weren't well-received or weren't well-known. Basically, outside of Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, World at War was practically the first popular WWII shooter to be set at least partially in the Pacific, and I'm willing to bet it was the first time a vast majority of players had played a competent game set partially in the Pacific.

Second, most WWII shooters, and most popular military shooters for that matter, were T-rated games at that point. Brothers in Arms was the only major franchise that was mostly M-rated, and at that point CoD only had one M-rated game (CoD4). Battlefield wouldn't go M-rated for another year, and Medal of Honor would do it a year after BF. Basically, there weren't a lot of gritty military shooters at that point, and the one franchise really pushing a more mature experience (Brothers in Arms) was the least well-known of the major ones and likely not played by most people. World at War basically offered many people their first look into a gritty WWII shooter.

Finally, up until that point, very few WWII shooters, or military shooters in general, gave a look at the war like it did. Rather than painting it in the heroes-vs.-villains way like most military shooters, even the more mature ones, had up until that point, World at War basically painted both sides as killers we aren't really supposed to worship. Granted, on the Allied side, the Russians received this treatment more than the Americans, but there were still hints of it in the American campaign, regardless of the more positive portrayal of Americans. It offered the player the opportunity to make a few moral choices in the Russian campaign that would ultimately determine how one character viewed the player, but as far as I know, the best you can do is make him confused about whether the player is a sympathetic hero or a merciless killer, which pretty much sums up the game's tone very well.

Obviously, over the last 5-6 years, some of its strong points in 2008 have been lost. With shooters basically all being gritty and trying their best to use shock value, the grittiness has been lost compared to what it would have been like five years ago. Also, plenty of games, especially Spec Ops: The Line, have done a much better job with its theme so the impact is less meaningful now than it was a few years ago. Really, most of the charm it had back in 2008 has been lost, but back in 2008, it was a surprisingly fantastic campaign, especially by Call of Duty standards.

Rolaoi

Nov 10, 2013
I played and enjoyed the first Call of Duty and consider United Offensive to be the best in the series. The fact that Treyarch went back and made another WW2 Call of Duty really got me excited. For me, it's UO>1>2>WaW>4>3>don't care to list the rest.

From a story point of view, it gave a more grounded story that had less black and white. The Soviets and Americans both did some pretty terrible things in the campaigns which isn't really touched on that much. It definitely got me more invested than in 4. I think the fact that the Soviets were given their own campaign again gave some silence to the critics coming from Modern Warfare's track. The story wasn't terribly deep or complex, but it was handled well enough that I consider it one of the stronger ones in the series. The themes in the story were there without being too intrusive which was nice. There was also a nice bit of little horrors throughout the game culminating in the Nazi Zombie added at the end which was quite surprising at the time, but not so impressive today now that it's become a Treyarch standard. It was actually pretty spooky, which is rare for a zombie game, let alone a mini game.

Gameplay was a mixed bag. I liked the added customization for WW2 weapons. I wish it was more restricted to create a more classic Call of Duty feel. I was never a fan of what I felt to be excessive customization added in 4, and I liked it even less when you had such defined camps as the powers of WW2. It didn't feel right that anyone could spawn with whatever weapon from whatever nation they pleased. I would have preferred every nation have their own list of weapons with customization for various classes. Oh well, I still loved the fact that they added the bayonet and allowed me to do banzai charges with the Arisaka. The scopeless bolt action rifles made me squeal in nostalgia for the days of UO. Functional bipods was nice as well. The killstreaks and hand holding mechanics which have long since plagued the series returned worse than ever though. Especially with dogs which was more a nightmare than helicopters. While I appreciate the return of vehicles, they were poorly executed. At least they added some slightly larger maps finally. I did like that they added such satisfying flame throwers in the campaign. Some of the single player locations were quite impressive, especially in the American campaign. The jungles were fun to fight through. Finally, it had a nice bit of difficulty on the upper levels. I've beaten every Call of Duty up to the last couple, having never bought them, on Veteran, and World at War was definitely the hardest to complete. That last mission was a nightmare of grenades.

Honestly, if you want to see the forgotten Call of Duty, try out 3. It's shit on way too much, but, in hindsight, I feel it deserves a measure of respect. It's one of the only games I know of with the double distinction of including a campaign for the Canadians and the Poles. The controls were what killed it for me, but it was definitely the last hoorah for the old style Call of Duty games with large, open maps and classes. I think Call of Duty would have been a lot different if 3 had succeeded.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
It had zombies. Let's not forget the zombie mode, and the storyline that came with said zombie mode. Although I don't know if that counts...

Anyway, I enjoyed the game a lot. It was different to fight the Japanese and see a war theater that wasn't blown out buildings, but jungle and swamps. There were also some pretty nice scripted moments, like the plane being wired. And then there were the Russian levels. That part where you're given a choice to either kill the Germans fast or let them burn, for me at least, is a real difficult moment. I choose to shoot them every time, as letting them burn it too cruel for me.
And I loved the first Russian level. Sneaking around the area, playing assassin, and then that duel with the other sniper. That was fantastic to me.
"It was just a decoy! You only wounded him!" Playing that part on Veteran was really pulse pounding.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
It was certainly alright. It did what it set out to do, even if the Soviet campaign made me very, very tired of that shouting officer. It did suffer a bit from the rather common problem with this genre of games, namely that it all felt airlifted from Enemy at the Gates.

I think it mainly suffered for the times when it came out. Right at the intersection where modern military shooters took over from World War 2 shooters. It became a bit symbolic of what people were tired of, and what contemporary shooters would replace to bring in some fresh air.

When that subgenre have overstayed its welcome and gotten replaced, we'll no doubt never see more of it ever again, either.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Well if you're looking at WaW it would do you no harm to look at the story-telling Zombies mode, one of the most subtle forms of storytelling in a game so far.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I've always wanted to try it myself. I haven't played many WWII shooters, so I figure it would be cool to try, especially since I usually enjoy Call of Duty campaigns. I haven't heard too much praise for it, nor excessive criticism. I can only guess that many people were happy to see another WWII shooter after the modern shooter sort of took over the genre. Which is funny considering there was a point where people were getting tired of having too many WWII shooters in the market.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Praise for World at War, eh?

Hmm...

Hrrrrmmmmm......

Well...Miracle of Sound used it as an interesting lyric in his game about Second Chance. I guess that counts as praise.

For the record, I haven't played it, so while I don't have any serious praise, I don't really have any negative comments either xD

CAPCHA: history repeats itself

...that's kinda funny given the COD series (sorry, couldn't resist. I'll shut up)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
For me World at War was the weakest of the cod series, although I never played cod 1 or 3 or the first blackops. it just felt bad and since it was based on actual history, stuff that went against history annoyed me. Plus the gameplay just felt off to me.

arsenalabu

Iron Maiden's backup Trombonist
May 26, 2011
WaW was the first CoD I ever played, and the first WW2 shooter I actually completed.
I remember hating the American campaign and loving the Russian one. IIRC, there was a moment about half way through the American missions where one of your allies is killed by an invincible Japanese soldier (at least he was invincible until after he had killed the GI) that completely killed the tension for me. I found it hard to connect any of the voices to any of the NPCs seeing as it there was no lip-syncing to the dialogue AFAIK. That point totally invalidated the Pacific campaign for me, as it seemed so forced, heavy-handed and poorly executed.
The Russian campaign was much better, I thought. Gary Oldman really hammed up his role, which is always enjoyable. It also seemed to move much more fluidly as I fought through Eastern Europe before the climax in Berlin. I know a lot less about the war in the Pacific so the climax didn't really hold much weight for me.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I honestly can't think of any other war games - let alone WW2 games - that portray a more ruthless and brutal depiction of warfare aside from Spec Ops: The Line. That World at War IS a WW2 game made its presentation all the more appealing for me, since you can pretty much guess exactly how a WW2 game will run storyline wise: the Allies will be saints, the Axis devils and the campaign will focus on a band of brothers who inevitably lose a beloved character right before the game's climax. To be fair, COD didn't deviate from this trope entirely but it included Russian war crimes (playable executions of surrendering troops for instance), brutal Japanese tactics (booby trapping the dead for example) and American soldiers who were less "Well I'm fighting on a grand crusade for freedom!" and more "Jesus Christ please let me live through this, I want to go home please please please....", which for me made it a much more engaging and realistic game.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Tom_green_day said:
Well if you're looking at WaW it would do you no harm to look at the story-telling Zombies mode, one of the most subtle forms of storytelling in a game so far.
The Nazi:

I LONG TO BATHE NAKED! IN YOUR BLOOD!

The Marine:

I'll growl this way now!

The Russian:

Blyad, vodka...

As idiotic as it was, the Zombie Mode felt a bit like Three Men in a Boat, by way of Tarantino's fever dreams.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's not my favorite CoD game by any stretch but I did enjoy it.

In particular, I liked that it actually covered the Pacific War for the first(and only) time in the series. I felt the Marine/Pacific Campaign was still the less interesting of the two campaigns but I'm glad it actually got some coverage at last. I also really enjoyed the mission "Black Cats" both for a change up in play, some really cool music, and I appreciate that for once the Navy got a moment in the spotlight(which wouldn't happen again until BlopS II).

With that out of the way, the Russian Campaign in WaW was really engaging, just because of how brutal and epic it felt at times. The missions in Berlin were a fantastic way to finish the game and the assault on the Reichstag at the end was a far better representation dramatically then the final level of the original COD(which also involved the Battle of Berlin but on a far smaller scale). Gary Oldman chewing the scenery was also incredibly fun to listen to.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
World at War's my favourite Call of Duty game, but from a storytelling perspective I wouldn't really say it's up there with Black Ops or Black Ops II.

It uses emotional scenes to grip the player with some really well performed characters like depicting Japanese interrogation, Soviets brutalising Germans and killing PoWs, Germans hanging traitors and Americans... well it's an American game I guess that's why there's nothing horrible done by them. I do like the little moments such as Chernov asking whether they should shoot Germans which are running away, and the fact that his impression on Dimitri depends on actions he takes in the game (like shooting the surrendering Germans will cause Chernov to not appreciate him). Chernov finally learns courage in the end, Reznov finally learns that pushing his allies gets him nowhere. The player is forced into choosing between saving one person who is of equal rank to them or saving their commanding officer on the American front as well.

Zombies has subtle storytelling, it's mostly portrayed through the atmosphere and through radio messages (Shi No Numa is especially incredible for that).

All in all World at War is more about striking visuals in the crushing dread that it wants to portray World War II as. There are tonnes of pop culture references but all in all it's solid. It's a testament to how stupid most World War II shooters are that glorify the Allies and show us having mighty victory over those evil germans. In the world that is at war, everybody is just as horrible as each over. World at War is almost like a Spec Ops: The Line of it's time and went (imo) vastly under appreciated. World at War shines all the brighter as immediately after it the series devolved into horrific cold war fantasy stories about how awesome America is and just turned into blastfests with little meaning or purpose.

I choose not to bring up the gameplay, which had it's positives and it's negatives.

Jun 11, 2008
Mechanically nothing. It was essentially an expansion to CoD 4 mechanics wise and while many people love the Zombie I thought it was as boring as watching paint dry. that said the story felt like a half decent representation of the war. It was not a bad game overall but it was not amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
WaW was the first CoD game I played and it is my favorite one.
The campaign is dark and grim.
Zombies is intense and fun.
The multiplayer has large open maps that have tanks and snipers a plenty.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
The Campaign was fun and the Pacific/Berlin missions were a nice change of pace compared to the typical D-Day fair.

The Multiplayer was pretty much CoD4 in WWII but aside from the bouncing betties and MP40 it was still pretty good.

Nazi Zombies will always be the best part of WaW for me. It is the source of some of my favorite gaming memories. Though I felt like something was lost in translation going from WaW to Black Ops. It just wasn't the same. There was something special about the WaW zombies that they just didn't capture in later games. <3 Verruckt, Shi No Numa, Der Riese

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Let's skip the multiplayer then, I don't think you're interested in it.

As far as WWII games, it's not the best. As far as WWII CoD games goes, everyone is so firmly invested in CoD 2 as the best of their WWII games. I think its strongest suit, compared to CoD 2, is the investment in the Pacific Theater and the Soviet front onto Berlin. Yeah the Pacific Theater was pretty stinking awful in terms of map design and generally being fun, I mean, that side of the campaign had an obsession with giving you an M2 Flamethrower every mission, throwing you in wide open battlefronts where all you can do is get shot then burn some trees, then force you down narrow trenches every level -- but at least it was different than fighting Nazis again and again.

Strongest point by far is the Soviet front, because I don't think many games have quite aimed for the Soviet brutality and moments of camaraderie in WWII. The Battle of Stalingrad, as much as we hated the sniper duel, was pretty freaking cool: you had officer slaying, stealth tactics by shooting when planes went overhead, glimpses of the massacres, and whatever else I didn't mention. Though the entire Soviet front in CoD was set in Stalingrad, this level still had some cool stuff going for it. Then the actual continuing of the front past Stalingrad, especially the Berlin level. We hate everything leading up to getting inside the capital building, but goddamn was shooting up the capital building then planting the Soviet flag over Berlin was the coolest thing CoD did. You know that 80% of the charm of the Soviet front was from Reznov, because he was sort of an embodiment of the Soviet soldier. He berates Chernov for most of the campaign, but takes Chernov's memoirs when he's killed because he wants Chernov's book to be read, he makes the cool speeches and has all the good quotes.

So basically because commies.