Prank videos are one of the most disgusting trends to come out of Youtube immersed society!

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I don't think this is directly linked to youtube, even if in this is the place of growth for the latest expression of pranking.

Candid Camera.
Beadles About.
Just two prank TV shows that immediately came to mind and I'm sure there are so many more both current and from times gone by.

Pranks and watching people get fooled by them is something that has been drawing attention for as long as there's been a prankster and an audience.

I'm often eager to lay blame for something at the feet of a new, internet based thing.
It's probably because I'm old.
This time though, it's a trait applicable to a lot more than just the pranksters and the medium.

Perhaps then the issue to discuss should be 'should/does a pranked individual have legal recourse and protection?' and whether being part of the production of a show, at whatever scale, should offer the creator any form of protection or leniency?

All that said, the accessibility that youtube offers may result in a proliferation of pranksters attempting to emulate the success of others, I don't think it will be an epidemic.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
All I can think is, regarding the Youtube pranking scene (there's my hip "culture/society" equivalent) specifically, is "thank god Andy Kaufman isn't here to see this shit, because thoughtful and provocative RL meta-trolling this is not". Hopefully pranksters know that they pay a price when they do this, be it loss of friendship or people not believing you when you are sincere about something (or a punch to the face at times). I'm not sure millions of views makes the deal worth it unless it makes you Pewdiepie level money.

Mar 30, 2010
Pranks did exist before Youtube, you know. The only thing Youtube has done is allow prankers to share their pranks with millions of people rather than just their mates down the pub. Ever sent someone (or been sent) down to Outfitting for a Long Weight? Ever seen a student get sent to the chemistry lab for a solution of H2O and K9P? Have you ever been ... an apprentice?

Hell, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is said to have once sent a number of anonymous letters to friends containing only the words "We are discovered. Flee immediately." - the result of which was that one of the recipients upped sticks and was never heard from again.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
The thing I hate most about some prank videos is the "shield" the pranksters think they have because they are pranking someone.

Some people are downright committing crimes and about to have their lights punched out but suddenly when they scream "it's just a prank" suddenly means it was ok?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The good pranks are either harmless, not bothersome, or done only among friends whom you know can take it. But idiots being assholes to strangers aren't funny at all. I think youtube does play a big part, in that desperate idiots with no talent would not normally go to so much effort to be a dick to strangers, however youtube gives these people some quick "fame" and potential for dosh in exchange for being as outrageous and eye catching as possible.

Sep 13, 2009
My main qualifier for a good prank is that by the end of it the people involved in it find it funny too. Otherwise it's being a dick. For some reason a large number of these "prank" videos involve the pranker being hurt by the prankee. If that's the reaction you're looking for it's not much better than just going around calling random people "fags" and shouting "Jeez, it was a joke!" when they're not amused.

Coincidentally, that exact scenario happened to me with a complete stranger. He got really annoyed when I wasn't rolling on the floor with laughter over his top notch joke.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
So are we just clumping everything in one group as bad now? Because I've seen several harmless prank videos where the prankee finds the joke funny.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
lord canti said:
So are we just clumping everything in one group as bad now? Because I've seen several harmless prank videos where the prankee finds the joke funny.
Pretty much this. Good natured pranks that aren't designed to make the prankee feel they're in danger or the like tend to be pretty funny for everyone.

One I remember finding pretty funny was one where a guy was emptying a water bottle by squeezing it through the nozzle, so that from behind, it looked like he was peeing. Naturally, cops passing by would go up to him because that's kinda against the law, turn him around, see the water bottle and almost all of them had a good laugh about it. I think only one of them in the video got upset about it.

Stuff like that is fine, because no one gets hurt, or think they're gunna get hurt, and it barely wastes anyone's time. And if the prankster isn't a dick about it, it's generally just a funny experience for everyone.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
The Almighty Aardvark said:
My main qualifier for a good prank is that by the end of it the people involved in it find it funny too. Otherwise it's being a dick. For some reason a large number of these "prank" videos involve the pranker being hurt by the prankee. If that's the reaction you're looking for it's not much better than just going around calling random people "fags" and shouting "Jeez, it was a joke!" when they're not amused.

Coincidentally, that exact scenario happened to me with a complete stranger. He got really annoyed when I wasn't rolling on the floor with laughter over his top notch joke.
Agreed. So many of these prank videos are just people being absolute cunts, going around harassing people until they've had enough then screaming "it's a prank!"

This is the kind of prank I find funny.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well we need to break some thing down here, there are plenty of real solid pranks on Youtube, but the percentage of those to all the other garbage is 0.01%
Everyone else just worked out the trick to get children excited and coming back for more, you name your video "X PRANK GONE SEXUAL!!!", or "X PRANK GONE WRONG!!!", put some boobs or butts as the image and you get yourself 1-10 million views. That is instant rent money for people who would normally spend their entire life behind a fast food counter. Yes those videos are horrid, probably the only thing that goes lower then pewdie but so long as it makes money someone will do it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
IT'S JUST A PRANK, BRO!

But aye, most "prank" videos on YouTube just seem to be the "pranksters" attempting to harass people into snapping at them. Which isn't funny really, just mean-spirited. And frankly, boring now that it's become commonplace.