Pranksters Plant Giant Companion Cube in NYC

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Pranksters Plant Giant Companion Cube in NYC

The California Institute of Technology invited your best friend, the Companion Cube, to Astor Place in New York City.

You can bet that the California Institute of Technology is making a note here: "huge success." A group of students from CalTech traveled all the way across the country to pull off one of its nerdiest pranks to date - transforming the recognizable Companion Cube sleeve [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo_(sculpture)], accompanied by a note from Aperture Science (appropriate for the Portal theme). By the time the news began to spread, the pranksters had already disappeared, presumably by way of portal gun.

In keeping with the Prank Club's tradition of good-natured shenanigans [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Institute_of_Technology#Pranks], the Alamo sculpture remained totally unharmed. The Companion Cube skin is simple cloth, and the students attached it with non-adhesive fasteners. The note detailed how to remove the Companion Cube skin, claimed full responsibility, and even provided the group's e-mail address. It did warn, however, that "premature euthanization of your companion cube can interfere with your ability to complete the test."

The Alamo has been the target of a few pranks before, so GLADoS probably ordered city officials to deal with the Companion Cube fairly quickly. At this time, the CalTech pranksters do not appear to be in any trouble, although Mayor Bloomberg is not exactly congratulating them for interfering with a public work of art, either. If this incident has made anything clear, it's this: New York City is in desperate need of a more permanent giant Companion Cube. Someone ought to get working on that, as soon as they finish baking that cake we were promised four years ago.

Source: MTV Geek! [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/12/14/nycs-astor-place-cube-gets-portal-makeover/]

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Haha, it's good to see some public disturbance jokes that aren't completely obscene, or as dumb as lying face down on the ground like a board.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Wow... that's the first Wikipedia page I've gone to that has a "Pranks" section.

Heh, it was a Rubick's cube too.

EDIT:

It's pretty funny hearing this news from people who couldn't tell what it was from.

We give it a few hours before the companion cube is "prematurely euthanized" ? mostly because, who doesn't like "cake and grief counseling?" As for what the whole thing means, we have yet to hear back from the e-mail address posted on the The Alamo's base. Update: Clearly we don't play enough video games, as commenters point out the "companion cube" is from the game Portal.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
It's pretty funny hearing this news from people who couldn't tell what it was from.

We give it a few hours before the companion cube is "prematurely euthanized" ? mostly because, who doesn't like "cake and grief counseling?" As for what the whole thing means, we have yet to hear back from the e-mail address posted on the The Alamo's base. Update: Clearly we don't play enough video games, as commenters point out the "companion cube" is from the game Portal.
That is always surprisingly enjoyable when a popular fiasco occurs and half the population doesn't know what's going on.

I recall my year in eighth grade; we have this slideshow playing on the televisions throughout the school; saying about announcements, lunch, yadda yadda.

One day; sprawled in big bold text was just "THE GAME"

I slammed my face on the desk; and absolutely no one in my current class had a clue of what it meant >_>

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
That is just EPIC. Dang, I wish more of these pranks were done all over the place.

See? Gamer pranksters are polite: They even tell you who did it and how to get rid of it in case it pisses you off. Any other guy would just pull a prank, call it a dick move and leave, like maybe a troll. But not us. We're nice and considerate.

I think there's a lesson to be learned here, hm?

...It just sucks that not everyone gets the joke. :/

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011

Successful prank is successful!

I wish I had a nerdy Prank club anywhere near me, I would have so much fun...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this happens in america: they take down the cloth.
This happens in my country - the pranksters stela the cube to sell for metla scraps, put the baloon in its place and somone in police gets fired for not "preventing it". also media spams for the next 3 months how evil the pranksters were.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
Must... Avoid... Making... Bad... References...

But seriously, I wish someone would do something like that to the ugly sculptures in Brisbane.
Something spherical and game related... Hmmm...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Urgh76 said:
One day; sprawled in big bold text was just "THE GAME"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! God damn it! It's been so long! Kinda like the original trolling! People used to do hillarious stuff to cause others to lose! Loves it!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
In keeping with the Prank Club's tradition of good-natured shenanigans [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Institute_of_Technology#Pranks], the Alamo sculpture remained totally unharmed.
Further stories in that vein:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/meaning-of-hack.html

There's a few more interesting, though not prank-related, ones on the successive pages.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Otaku World Order said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I think we can all agree: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: Huge Success. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
At least the sculpture is still alive.

(Hehe, i can play this game too.)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
That sculpture isn't a "work of art." It's a freaking metal cube. I swear the only kind of artists the people who make crap like this are is scam artists. They deserve to be defaced a lot worse than an easy-to-remove cloth covering.

Strazdas said:
this happens in america: they take down the cloth.
This happens in my country - the pranksters stela the cube to sell for metla scraps, put the baloon in its place and somone in police gets fired for not "preventing it". also media spams for the next 3 months how evil the pranksters were.
Implying some country overreacts to things worse than Americans? On the Internet? What is this madness?!

Joking aside, I am curious now what country you live in.