Pre-ordering a game for charity!

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
So this is the setup for this game, it is a Polish game that'll come out around November, it's called AfterFall Insanity and is a horrorish game as far as I understood.

But right now they are going to make you a great deal and help others in need!

You can now, pre-order the game for only 1 dollar, and if they reach 10 million pre-orders before release, then they will give 10% of the 10 million to charity and all pre-orders after that will be split 50/50 with the developer and the charity organisation.

But should they not reach their goal, then 100% of the money earned goes to charity, but you don't get the game, but you will get a 1 dollar off the game when it's released.

So what do you have to lose? it's 1 dollar, and either you donate 1 dollar and get an indie game for 90 cents and donate 10 cents to charity, or you donate 1 dollar to charity and you can feel good about yourself.

More can be read here: http://www.afterfall-universe.com/en/index

Edit 1: Videos

Thanks to user Actual for links to the videos.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Yeah this really wasen't the best time to post this, but I just hope that it'll stay afloat long enought for people to see it.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Wait I'm confused... you said that if they don't reach their goal we don't get the game BUT we get the game for $1 cheeper when it comes out. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Wait I'm confused... you said that if they don't reach their goal we don't get the game BUT we get the game for $1 cheeper when it comes out. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Meaning that the orginal price is around 34.95 $ but if you donate you get it for 33.95

Go read the website/watch the video it's all explained there.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Elsarild said:
Flare Phoenix said:
Meaning that the orginal price is around 34.95 $ but if you donate you get it for 33.95

Go read the website/watch the video it's all explained there.
That is not what I asked. You said if they don't reach their goal we don't get the game but we get the game for $1 cheeper when it comes out. Those two statements contradict each other.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
How is that a contradiction?

You pre-order it now, for 1 dollar, if they don't get 10 million pre-orders, then you don't get the game for 1 dollar, but you dog get a 1 dollar off the original price, if you wish to pay it in full.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Elsarild said:

You pre-order it now, for 1 dollar, if they don't get 10 million pre-orders, then you don't get the game for 1 dollar, but you dog get a 1 dollar off the original price, if you wish to pay it in full.
That's not what you said in your original post...

"But should they not reach their goal, then 100% of the money earned goes to charity, but you don't get the game, but you will get a 1 dollar off the game when it's released."

Statement #1: Should they not reach their goal, you don't get the game.

Statement #2: You get the game when it comes out for a dollar cheaper.

You really can't see how those two statements contradict each other?

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Elsarild said:

"But should they not reach their goal, then 100% of the money earned goes to charity, but you don't get the game, but you will get a 1 dollar off the game when it's released."

No they are not, because the second statement does not say that you get the game, it only says you get the game 1 dollar cheaper, it doesn't say you get the game itself.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Looks really good! I can imagine if they get enough awareness through posts like this they might make the million pre-orders, even if they don't it's a nice boon for charity. You may like to put the trailers in your first post so people don't get confused. Quote me and copy if you don't know how to do that.

And don't get into an arguing match and let that ruin this thread. :)

EDIT: I would like to see the Escapist staff or another gaming mag contact and research the company as the game looks very high quality for an unknown indie studio and some people on youtube (yes I know you shouldn't listen to youtube comments) are wondering if this is legitimate or not. They seem to be associated with CDProjekt the publishers who released The Witcher so it should be a simple matter to contact them and ask them to confirm everything.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Flare Phoenix said:
I do have to question how bad the game is if they're pulling such a big stunt like this (yes, I'm aware this isn't a big AAA company doing this, but still...)
Giving to charity, what a stunt that is.

I'd like to know which charity its going to though.

Humanity1

Apr 14, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Elsarild said:

Gah, this is almost painful. It's not a contradction, it's just missing an implied condition. The statment meant "But should they not reach their goal, then 100% of the money earned goes to charity, but you don't get the game in exchange for the $1 you paid, but you will get a 1 dollar off the game when it's released."

That is,
Statement #1: Should they not reach their goal, you don't get the game that you paid $1 for,
Statement #2: However, You get the game when it comes out for a dollar cheaper.

The author of the post assumed a social norm of receiving a good in exchange for money. By normal stardards having paid the dollar the game could be considered yours, but if they don't hit the pre-order target you don't get the game you paid for. Instead you are offered one dollar of the full purchase price of the game on release.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I have seen a similar thread here before, anyway - I'm not convinced about 10.000.000 copies. That's WAAAAAAY too much. I think they are not going to reach it, no matter how many of those threads will pop up here in the future. $5 for 2,000,000 copies would be much more realistic in my humble opinion and it's exactly the same amount of money.

I don't get it.
Why do they pick that number?
Do they probably expect not to meet their goal?
So are they expecting that a large sum of money is donated anyway and most of the people who paid $1 dollar won't want to pay the rest for the game?

So, don't get me wrong, the idea is brilliant and it's honorable and such but 10 Millions seems unrealistic.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Elsarild said:
Yeah this really wasen't the best time to post this, but I just hope that it'll stay afloat long enought for people to see it.
Considering it's already been posted twice before this one, I wouldn't worry too much about timing.

Not that I'm complaining. I'd like to see it succeed, but really, they're not making $10M here. $1M would've been a reasonable target, I'd have thought. I don't know what their dev costs were like but if $1M wouldn't give them a profit, they're doing it wrong.

I saw that TotalBiscuit contacted them about helping them out (presumably doing a gameplay video to help spread the word) and that might give it a boost, but shit, 10 million is a very large number.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
I don't get it.
So are they expecting that a large sum of money is donated anyway and most of the people who paid $1 dollar won't want to pay the rest for the game?
The weird bit about it is that if $5 million is donated, they've said that they'll give that all to charity. So they get $0 unless people actually end up buying the game at full price. So they can't possibly want people to pay $1 and then not buy the game.

Either they thought that $10M was attainable, or they thought that the publicity it would generate would be like a free marketing campaign for them and that they'd get lots of people buying the game at full price when it's released.

It just... doesn't make a lot of sense to me with a goal that ridiculously high.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Yeah, In my own honest opinion, I don't believe they'll reach 10 million, but in the end, if it all goes to charity, I don't mind too bad.

But as others have expressed, the legitimacy of it, seems a bit questionable, but I haven't seen any good argument for either side, except that they don't seem to specify any charity, and it certainly would help if they did so.

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
I have seen a similar thread here before, anyway - I'm not convinced about 10.000.000 copies. That's WAAAAAAY too much. I think they are not going to reach it, no matter how many of those threads will pop up here in the future. $5 for 2,000,000 copies would be much more realistic in my humble opinion and it's exactly the same amount of money.

I don't get it.

So, don't get me wrong, the idea is brilliant and it's honorable and such but 10 Millions seems unrealistic.
I don't expect them to reach it either, but the game looks good and I will be preordering it soon as I have money.

It would be nice if they had the option to put more down if you choose to. Sure you can preorder 30 copies if you like and if they hit the $10 million you will now have 30 copies to gift/sell/whatever, but if they don't hit their goal you now have 30 copies waiting to be purchased at $1 off for each one. I would rather preoder at $20 or $30 to help towards the $10 million goal and then have that amount off a single copy if they don't get enough preorders.