Pre-PC Memes?

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
OK, I know that there are a lot of "memes" on the webers now-a-days -and most of them aren't ... except maybe the word meme- but I've often wondered how many of them pre date the nets that we roam theses day.

Any one know of any? The only one I can think of off the top of my head would have to be '1337' custom plates on cars. i.e. '3M TA3'

EDIT: OK, it seems I wasn't very clear on this one. Have you noticed any INTERNET memes that, though they seem new, actualy predate the webs.

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
Can Rick Astley be considered a pre-PC meme? He was trolling the shit out of people when Never Gonna Give You Up was released, and has been ever since..

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
Yeah, I guess I was looking for memes that pre-dated the pcs mut eventualy migrated... I wonder when tea bag'ing started?

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
FargoDog said:
HillDragon said:
Yeah, I guess I was looking for memes that pre-dated the pcs mut eventualy migrated... I wonder when tea bag'ing started?
Around Halo 2.
p.S. nice pic

No, I'm prety sure that Oddjob was getting it in Goldeneye on the 64.

~

I've got one though: Shoops! Long before there was a Shop they were air brushing blemish free legs and thining waists for beer spots.

Spot Viewer said:
"Oh yeah, that's a brush... I can tell because her skin should be duller here, and I've seen a few of these in my time."

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
HillDragon said:
Any one know of any? The only one I can think of off the top of my head would have to be '1337' custom plates on cars. i.e. '3M TA3'
Surely "1337" and the whole of l33t culture only developed in the days of the internet and Californian teenagers chatting on AIM and IRC and so on and so forth? I mean, l33t is so heavily ingrained into the early days of the 'net it basically is the original internet meme.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009

'Twould be pretty cool if they were to get a KnowYourMeme entry on this guy.

?Clap my hands and jump for joy;
I was here before Kilroy.?

?Sorry to spoil your little joke;
I was here, but my pencil broke.?
? Kilroy

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
JemJar said:
Surely "1337" and the whole of l33t culture only developed in the days of the internet and Californian teenagers chatting on AIM and IRC and so on and so forth? I mean, l33t is so heavily ingrained into the early days of the 'net it basically is the original internet meme.
edit: sorry, forgot the quote.

Right, but neither the driving idea behind it nor the usage of incorrect characters/numbers is new. Pig Latin, A coded language that anyone can read; psudo-crypology for no other use then pretending proving that somone is lesser then you and can't tell what your saying to their face... ignorantay oolfay :9|\|0|`3|\|7 |=001. 101

Anyway, got anything that's migrated to the webs but seemes new?