Pre-Purchasing Evolve on Xbox One Lets You Skip Grinding

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
In other words, shorten the length of the game for yourself by paying a fee? It's unlikely to work on day one anyway. Do they have so little faith in their game?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tf2godz said:
"Pre-order the game to not play most of the game". Is this what pre-orders have come to. At least when wow did this it was to allow old players to skip to the new content. who would pre-order the game to not play most of the game.
this isn't skipping content this is "buying time" an equally shitty practice

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Which do I hate more, multiplayer unlocks or pre-order bonuses? Damn that's a tough one. Since I don't have an Xbox One it's moot but if I did and was interested in Evolve this would be a real Ogre's Choice.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
So the pre-order bonus is to play their game less? What kind of fucked up shit is that?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
All this really says to the consumer is "pre-order now and skip all the grinding" which then says to the consumer "This game has grinding! About 15 hours of it!". That is not how you advertise your new game.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Aerosteam said:
So the pre-order bonus is to play their game less? What kind of fucked up shit is that?
"Give us money and then bugger off" - which, considering that a surprisingly huge amount of people play progression-based games simply to watch their rank go up and reach the top and THEN claim "they played through the game" (which, in Multiplayer, you can't do to begin with!). And they want to do that as fast as possible. So, they pre-order to save time.

So, it is a problem on both sides of the deal: Gamers that don't want to play and publishers, that go with that wish by charging for it.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I think the real question here is this: if skipping the grinding is considered an improvement to the experience, then why the hell did they put grinding in the game in the first place?

Surely they must have realised how this would sound.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Like many have said and (and I also agree), pre-orders and founders packs are screwing consumers. There are a number of us that feel this is a problem, but there are just enough, if not more that just continue to eat this stuff. I am not saying all of these are bad or in some way rip off the consumer, but you have this stuff that just leaves you asking why?

Why out of all the pre-order content you actually take away from the game. Granted it may be "grindy" to get there but you are still taking away from the game nonetheless. Most pre-orders give you something. Might want to go back to the marketing drawing board and come up with a better idea. (In my own opinion)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've never been one to be as down on pre-ordering as some others have, but this is the sort of pre-order incentive that makes all pre-ordering look bad. I'm fine with a piece of armour or gun you probably won't ever end up using anyway, but when you're essentially selling a tangible in game boost in a multiplayer game? That's just garbage.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
The game itself is great. I have loved what I tried both a few months ago and today (except when they screwed up royally a few month ago with the PS4, had to "play" PC version if you could call it that on a 5+ year old laptop). I have no regrets placing a $5 pre-order to buy it on Feb 10 on PS4.

But this? This is just incredibly stupid. They're taking away the one thing that would make playing this game over a longer term enjoyable. To EARN the ability to play as the other hunters/monsters is more rewarding than just paying to get the all at the start. Otherwise, what's the point? You play as each monster and hunter a few times, getting no reward for doing so, and the game gets boring quicker. All I can really say is, good thing PS4 and PC don't need to worry about this!

Chinchama

Mar 1, 2009
I wish everyone single person who plays video games would do the community a favor and stop pre-ordering. Too many people are eager for an advantage over other players or something to brag about. Pre-order bonuses have been nothing but obnoxious, asking the consumer to put their faith in a product that is not completed and quite probably will not be finished by the time its in the consumer's hands. If you put money down for a new car and you got and the windows didn't work, of course it doesn't ruin the car for you, but you would be livid and demand that the manufacturer fix it. Video games are not held to that same standard...oh it doesn't work 100% but I have xxx work around or it's good enough. It may be tough out there for a developer, but you can't just keep milking consumers and/or rushing products. The industry needs less of a get in, grab some cash, and bail sort of attitude.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder up to what time the review embargo will be and if the reviewers knowingly or unknowingly will have this bonus unlocked for them. Quite a few people are going to be upset if reviewers say the unlocking grind isn't bad because they didn't know they were not playing the standard version of the game.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
I wonder up to what time the review embargo will be and if the reviewers knowingly or unknowingly will have this bonus unlocked for them. Quite a few people are going to be upset if reviewers say the unlocking grind isn't bad because they didn't know they were not playing the standard version of the game.
Ha they won't need an embargo. It's an MP only game. They just need to follow Bungie's footsteps. "Don't believe the early reviews cuz reasons. The only reliable reviews will be the ones who give us 10s after investing 10 million hours into it. Unless they give us a 10 on day 1 then you can believe those!"

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
on the plus side, it'll make leveling a lot faster for everybody else as they get to murder the idiots who have no idea how their equipment works

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Hey guys we have a great idea! Let's make preorder bonuses let you skip parts of the game entirely!

Seriously though I am against pre-order bonuses, especially when said bonuses are "Exclusive" to one platform, this reeks of a marketing deal with micro$oft, I've been cautiously optimistic of this game, I thought the delays were a sign that the game would be great, but this reeks of desperation, also, GRINDING cause everyone loves that right guyz? Way to kill off my hopes guys... Oh well I've heard Depth is pretty good so I think I'll go play that now

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Anyone else remember the days when you played a multiplayer game BECAUSE IT WAS FUN TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER? You know...as opposed to grinding away to unlock stuff? Counter Strike Source? L4D? Natural Selection? Unreal Tournament?

Why does EVERYTHING have to have a bloody progression system? And now they're doing stuff like this so you can skip the grinding of a system that doesn't even have to be there in the first place. Personally I blame Battlefield 2, mainly because its the first primarily multiplayer game I can remember adding this kind of stupid junk with weapon unlocks based on levels.