Pre-Register Your Star Wars: The Old Republic Guild Today

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pre-Register Your Star Wars: The Old Republic Guild Today

The Old Republic still doesn't have an official release date, but you can start finding potential guildmates right now.

If players are the lifeblood of any MMO, then guilds are the blood vessels. Guilds are great: They're a chatroom and social circle for when you're off questing on your own, they're a group of comrades to accompany you into dungeons and raids, and many in-game guilds form lasting real-world friendships.

Naturally, Star Wars: The Old Republic will support player guilds - and BioWare has taken the interesting step of allowing its players to register guilds well before the game's release (or rather, well before it even has a release date). This means that players will get to reserve a guild name long before the servers go live, so you don't need to worry about some jerk taking <And Two Stealthed Rogues Sith Assassins> before you get to register it in-game.

There's a comprehensive FAQ [http://www.swtor.com/guilds/faq] on the SWTOR site, but it all seems fairly straightforward: Register your guild name and your server preference (PvE, PvP, or RP), and start recruiting! At some point in the future, you'll be able to select up to three same-faction guilds as your guild's Allies, and up to three enemy-faction guilds as your guild's Adversaries - and BioWare will try to make sure you all end up on the same server together.

It's a pretty convenient program in itself, but I really like the sound of that last bit. MMO launches are a bit chaotic if you haven't planned things out with your buddies - and it's a pain having to reroll your level 15 character just because you found out your good friend had a level 30 character on another server. This way, BioWare seems to be hoping to get that particular headache out of the way well before launch, so it can deal with all of the other headaches that come with a brand-new MMO.

If this appeals to you, check out the Guild FAQ [http://www.swtor.com/guilds/faq] over at SWTOR ... you Imperial scum (or alternatively, you valiant Republic warriors).

(Via RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/10/ready-jedi-go-pre-launch-swtor-guilds/])

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
If this matters to you guys this is the local chapter: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-SW-TOR

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm still unconvinced that this is actually different from enough from other MMOs to make me subscribe to it. But steps like this are pretty nifty. I SAID NIFTY

John Funk said:
Btw, Funk. What's your Pokemon team in B&W?

Curtisthekiller

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the update Funk, im sure alot of escapist members will first learn about this feature here.
My guild already reserved about 12 hours ago but still im sure you made someones day.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
People have been making guilds for years so far in the wait for SWTOR. Finally they can actually do something about it besides make a website haha.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Our guild has registered, the free forum thing is handy, even though we shall use our own.

Altogether a well put together system.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
This potentially means that every possible name containing a reference or a pun could be gone before the game even has a release date? I can't work out if that is awesome or just bordering on obsessive.

I'm guessing:
"Use the forks Luke"
"Jedi Outcasts"
"Han shot first"
"Ewoks Rule"

were taken within an hour.

I think it's a fairly novel system but its probably going to give Bioware a headache when they try to implement it, not to mention the complaints from those who were unable to be on the same server.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Hey guys if anybody is intrested in joining my guild is The Gun Runners. http://www.swtor.com/guilds/22426/gun-runners Anyone can join.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
This game looks good on its own merits - especially considering it's knights of the old republic and made by BioWare - but it's certainly no Star Wars Galaxies (before WoW came out). Sigh.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I think I see what BioWare are doing here. Aside from the awesomeness of this to the community, there's an upside for them in this as well (if I'm getting it right that is). Since they're putting guilds together and from what I can see, BioWare are choosing REALM placement of said guilds, they can use that to get a very good starting balance on factions. It's not a definitive answer to the problem, but damn it if it's not a fantastic start if utilized correctly :)

Crazy_Man_42

Mar 10, 2011
Seems like a good system.

But I don't plan on joining a guild before launch. If they ask me to join in game then I will join but not before launch.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I like that guilds get their own minisite with a forum. Great for small guilds or any that don't feel like designing/maintaining a site. A lot of folks think this means a release date is closer than we think, but it's hard to say. Let's see how PAX goes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
This is just evil BioWare. Tease us with all this without even having a releasedate. Stop the torture already! We already convinced our love for you a thousand times! What more do we have to go through?!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I agree that anyone interested should just register on an Escapist group instead. EA's social cleansing network will probably end up banning your account from the game if you say something wrong.