Pre-Register Your Star Wars: The Old Republic Guild Today

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
I'm a jaded ex-MMO junkie. The only thing that has any promise at all of pulling me back into the genre is this game. Mostly because, from what I can see, it has the game play and story elements of a single player game.

I fell out of MMOs because of their dependence on social links to keep you interested. I've never been interested in making friends in a game. No one really seems to care if you vanish off the face of the planet so there's no real feeling of friendship that I've found. I've got plenty of friends in the real world anyway. I have no desire for more.

They're also heavily dependent on grinding to give you something to do. While my addiction to grinding alone kept me playing for years and years, now I'm completely fed up with it and thus I've been over MMOs for a long time.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Scorched_Cascade said:
This potentially means that every possible name containing a reference or a pun could be gone before the game even has a release date? I can't work out if that is awesome or just bordering on obsessive.

I'm guessing:
"Use the forks Luke"
"Jedi Outcasts"
"Han shot first"
"Ewoks Rule"

were taken within an hour.

I think it's a fairly novel system but its probably going to give Bioware a headache when they try to implement it, not to mention the complaints from those who were unable to be on the same server.
Ewoks stole my Swoop Bike.
Dude, where is my land speeder?

Etc. :p

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
Hey it's been another week, time for Bioware to make some minor statement about SW:TOR so we keep thinking about it even while years overdue. Oh look, guilds! That's press release worthy.

See you next week when you offer another sneak peek into SW:TOR's "positive attitude toward fun and things that are nice."

waive

Sep 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm still unconvinced that this is actually different from enough from other MMOs to make me subscribe to it. But steps like this are pretty nifty. I SAID NIFTY

John Funk said:
Btw, Funk. What's your Pokemon team in B&W?
Depends on what you want to be different me thinks :p

Kalezian said:
so, wait, not only can you get a guild to co-op with, but three other guilds also?

well........... TOR looks like it might end up being another themepark MMO, but damn if that isnt tempting.........
Not to mention the fact that you can have arch rival guilds... will make server world pvp something far more enjoyable than just mindless ganking.

Also, yes, ToR is pretty Theme Park, but BioWare doesn't really do Sandboxes (outside of the fact that your kinda free to go wherever you want).

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
rsvp42 said:
I like that guilds get their own minisite with a forum. Great for small guilds or any that don't feel like designing/maintaining a site. A lot of folks think this means a release date is closer than we think, but it's hard to say. Let's see how PAX goes.
PAX turned into a four and half hour line for me just to play The Old Republic, it was awesome though. I think it's funny that for a convention for videogames and and gamers I only got to play five games and two of them was at a booth selling motherboards, another was a beta at a booth selling the memorabilia by an indie house developer, and the last one was a Magic card game where I got roasted because they were just teaching me. On that note I got a box of a thousand Magic cards for 15 bucks and a pristine copy of Killzone and a good copy of The Mark of Kri for around $26 and a decent amount of swag. The biggest disappointment, besides you know not getting a chance to play a lot of games, was that I could not find a baseball cap to add to my collection and the scarfs sold out while I waited in The Old Republic line. It was still fun and I have three day pass so I'll try to play at least Duke Nukem Forever, that line is only two and a half hours long.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
http://www.empire-enforcers.com/videos/regarder/107/star-wars--the-old-republic-swtor/pax-2011-smuggler-gameplay

I hate to say it, but this is the best gameplay footage we've seen in a while. And it is cam footage.

I love your game, BioWare but your marketing is horrible.

No their queue management is horrible, I went straight to their booth at PAX East Friday at 10 and still waited for four and a half hours. the game was worth it but the exhibits closed at seven so I spent half of the first day in a line.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
raxiv said:
Scorched_Cascade said:
This potentially means that every possible name containing a reference or a pun could be gone before the game even has a release date? I can't work out if that is awesome or just bordering on obsessive.

I'm guessing:
"Use the forks Luke"
"Jedi Outcasts"
"Han shot first"
"Ewoks Rule"

were taken within an hour.

I think it's a fairly novel system but its probably going to give Bioware a headache when they try to implement it, not to mention the complaints from those who were unable to be on the same server.
Ewoks stole my Swoop Bike.
Dude, where is my land speeder?

Etc. :p
Here's one

Why is the line at the PAX EAST booth eight hours long!!!!!!!

Sorry I kind of still miffed that I had to wait four and half hours Friday to play for an amazing 45 minutes that so makes me want to play again.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Cowabungaa said:
This is just evil BioWare. Tease us with all this without even having a releasedate. Stop the torture already! We already convinced our love for you a thousand times! What more do we have to go through?!
Wait a few more hours.

They have the longest line at PAX East, I waited four and a half and some waited eight hours and the exhibit hall is only open nine hours so those people missed everything else that day.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Rigs83 said:
rsvp42 said:
I like that guilds get their own minisite with a forum. Great for small guilds or any that don't feel like designing/maintaining a site. A lot of folks think this means a release date is closer than we think, but it's hard to say. Let's see how PAX goes.
PAX turned into a four and half hour line for me just to play The Old Republic, it was awesome though. I think it's funny that for a convention for videogames and and gamers I only got to play five games and two of them was at a booth selling motherboards, another was a beta at a booth selling the memorabilia by an indie house developer, and the last one was a Magic card game where I got roasted because they were just teaching me. On that note I got a box of a thousand Magic cards for 15 bucks and a pristine copy of Killzone and a good copy of The Mark of Kri for around $26 and a decent amount of swag. The biggest disappointment, besides you know not getting a chance to play a lot of games, was that I could not find a baseball cap to add to my collection and the scarfs sold out while I waited in The Old Republic line. It was still fun and I have three day pass so I'll try to play at least Duke Nukem Forever, that line is only two and a half hours long.
Sounds like a blast, tbh. Heck, I'd have liked to be there just to talk about TOR with someone not on the internet. Of the people I know who are gamers, none of them are really MMO players so most seem uninterested in TOR.

How was it? I've read a lot of reports on the TOR forums from people who played it, but I always like to hear more.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Rigs83 said:
rsvp42 said:
rsvp42 said:
rsvp42 said:
Sounds like a blast, tbh. Heck, I'd have liked to be there just to talk about TOR with someone not on the internet. Of the people I know who are gamers, none of them are really MMO players so most seem uninterested in TOR.

How was it? I've read a lot of reports on the TOR forums from people who played it, but I always like to hear more.
It was a complete blast, it was a little different from WOW in that you can't just click and snore in combat you have to actively command your character to do every action from slashing and force pushing. They won't just go into an auto routine but it was a little difficult at first because I tend to click and drag so I was shuffle my action buttons in the middle of the battle but it kept me focused so I doubt to many people will be checking there Facebook page while playing this, vets will probably have their hot keys mapped to memory. I ran the Taral V flash-point. The planet is a jungle in Imperial space where a Republic POW is being held with critical information. We only had 45 minutes to run half of it so very few people actually completed it. We had a team of four, A Jedi Knight spec'ed for DPS, A Consular spec'ed for crowd control, A Smuggler spec'd for healing and a Trooper spec'd for tanking.
I played as the Consular that had powers such as mind weaken and fear. She was a Twilek and weld a single bladed lightsaber and could pull what looked like a hot water heater from the jungle floor or small rocks from the air and throw them at targets. the most useful move was Force wave that through all the enemy NPCs falling back so I could break mobs that were surrounding my group and some heal to keep everyone in the fight. I also had Force shield, Meditate and force speed as buffs
The Knight dual wielded lightsabers and played like a rogue (sorry for the WOW reference) in that he had an attack, overhead slash, that started a point system that as he continued attack would build and allow stronger attacks. He of course had the force leap that let him close in faster on to his target.
The trooper had all kinds of grenades, a personal shield, and had a taunt where he pumps his fist in the air and fires his rifle and a buff called check and reload where he passionately searches for his guns G spot, sorry but it just looks strangely erotic.
The smuggler was the healer and had a slow release healing pack that could tier up to three packs and a bunch of low level health packs to keep us alive. Besides that he had a shield wall to give him cover. Key hint, you cannot low blow a droid.

The graphics were impressive and actually was not so cartoony but more like the comic books in level of detail which looked very good, though I still will need to upgrade my game rigs to run it well. A gripe was that the Jedis had capes and the physics for how they blew in the wind of a starship in the vacuum of space needed work. Also are quest giver was a member of Yoda's species ( looked did I but what species Yoda is I still know not )but he spoke in clear English and his huge eyes looked glassy like a dolls.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Rigs83 said:
I played as the Consular that had powers such as mind weaken and fear. She was a Twilek and weld a single bladed lightsaber and could pull what looked like a hot water heater from the jungle floor or small rocks from the air and throw them at targets. the most useful move was Force wave that through all the enemy NPCs falling back so I could break mobs that were surrounding my group and some heal to keep everyone in the fight. I also had Force shield, Meditate and force speed as buffs
The Knight dual wielded lightsabers and played like a rogue (sorry for the WOW reference) in that he had an attack, overhead slash, that started a point system that as he continued attack would build and allow stronger attacks. He of course had the force leap that let him close in faster on to his target.
The trooper had all kinds of grenades, a personal shield, and had a taunt where he pumps his fist in the air and fires his rifle and a buff called check and reload where he passionately searches for his guns G spot, sorry but it just looks strangely erotic.
The smuggler was the healer and had a slow release healing pack that could tier up to three packs and a bunch of low level health packs to keep us alive. Besides that he had a shield wall to give him cover. Key hint, you cannot low blow a droid.

The graphics were impressive and actually was not so cartoony but more like the comic books in level of detail which looked very good, though I still will need to upgrade my game rigs to run it well. A gripe was that the Jedis had capes and the physics for how they blew in the wind of a starship in the vacuum of space needed work. Also are quest giver was a member of Yoda's species ( looked did I but what species Yoda is I still know not )but he spoke in clear English and his huge eyes looked glassy like a dolls.
Interesting to hear, thanks! I thought all the Knights in the demo were the single-blade DPS, but you said there was a dual-wielding one in your group? I realize without auto-attack, it must feel more active, but how does combat feel compared to other MMOs you've played? I think some people are concerned that it's "too much like WoW," but how it feels is more important than how it looks, IMO. For instance, as a ranged DPS did you find yourself using one set ability rotation or did it change for each fight?

As for Oteg (the Yoda-species guy) devs said Yoda's speech pattern was his own and that not all members of his species speak the same. Apparently LucasArts approves? I know people on the forums were fussing about that a little, but it makes sense that they wouldn't all talk the same.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Wish I could have been there. I'll be playing a Trooper Vanguard so it would have been cool to try it out, but alas. Last question, did you want to get the game before and did playing it affect your decision one way or the other?

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Rigs83 said:

Interesting to hear, thanks! I thought all the Knights in the demo were the single-blade DPS, but you said there was a dual-wielding one in your group? I realize without auto-attack, it must feel more active, but how does combat feel compared to other MMOs you've played? I think some people are concerned that it's "too much like WoW," but how it feels is more important than how it looks, IMO. For instance, as a ranged DPS did you find yourself using one set ability rotation or did it change for each fight?

As for Oteg (the Yoda-species guy) devs said Yoda's speech pattern was his own and that not all members of his species speak the same. Apparently LucasArts approves? I know people on the forums were fussing about that a little, but it makes sense that they wouldn't all talk the same.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Wish I could have been there. I'll be playing a Trooper Vanguard so it would have been cool to try it out, but alas. Last question, did you want to get the game before and did playing it affect your decision one way or the other?
I did not have too much time to try other strategies so I concentrated on mind effects and then went about tossing hater heaters unless they closed in on me or another player then I would either use force wave to break up the mobs or get slashy slashy with lightsaber. I did my best o keep my Knight healed up and gave him buffs like force shield.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Let's necro this sucker

Here's a link to my TOR guild

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/33341/guild-undying-light