Predictions on 7th Generation Console's lifecycle?

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
7th Generation refers predominantly to Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 (Wii as well which was killed kinda early).

Usually newer consoles are a clear killer of their previous generation, but in this case amidst controvery, high price points, and at least from what I've seen a very weak library of games, it makes me wonder...

Just how long will 7th Gen consoles survive their lifecycle? By lifecycle I mean the point at which new games stop being released for that console.

So what are your predictions?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I reckon they will go the same way as their predecessor consoles of the 6th gen, that is to say that they will exist side by side on the market for a few years while the older consoles see fewer and fewer releases.

I mean, I used my PS 2 well into 2009, 3 years after the PS 3 had been released and I know many people who did the same. The truth was that the PS 2 was still a decent console with a great, vast library of games (arguably a game library that far exceeds that of either the PS 3 or Xbox 360) and by the end it was dirt cheap to get games for the PS 2.

I can't tell how old the OP is, but I get the feeling that anyone who thinks the 7th generation console launch was bad really don't remember how utterly shit the PS 3 was on release; The most expensive console to date, with few release games and none of them being particularly impressive and on top of this was a small hard drive and a hardware architecture that was a pain to program for. In comparison both the Xbone and PS 4 have been great successes.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
PS3 has Persona in 2015 doesn't it? I think the PlayStation 3 will stop being supported in 2016 or 2017, roughly three-four years after the PS4 launch so most people will have it. It didn't have the massive appeal of the PS2 and developers didn't find developing for the PS3 to be the most pleasurable experience ever.

I believe the Xbox 360 will likely be dropped in 2015. Microsoft (or somebody from Microsoft) said that it was "half way through it's life cycle" in 2010, which would give it a 10 year life span, roughly the same amount of time as the Original Xbox. They also plan on the Xbox One having a 10 year lifespan so that gives me that impression. Xbox Live will likely stop being supported on the 360 in 2015 or 2016 to 'convince' people to shift to the Xbox One.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I think it depends a lot on how well the new consoles sell doesn't it? The ps3 wasn't doing so well for a while so we still saw a lot of ps2 games well into that cycle. Developers will want to make games for the consoles that people are playing games on. If the sales of the new consoles slow down the way the Wiiu did, the ps360 will still see plenty of new games.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Most publishers will have cycled out most of their franchises and investment in 2 years. In 3 years, most titles will have been released on X1/PS4 than last-gen. It will be within 1 year that all the first party titles break ground, and publishers follow their example. 1st party titles include stuff like Infamous: Second Son and Titanfall. In 2 years, we'll have the most groundbreaking 1st party titles, e.g. another Naughty Dog game.

Third party publishers need an incentive to move their heavily established investments over to next-gen. They need an example to follow from the 1st party players. Monolithic companies like EA will be some of the last to move over, because they are most concerned with maximum compatibility with all platforms for all of their titles.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Pc is going to kick its ass. Also I'm still waiting for great new IPs to show up like Ass Creed and Mass Effect in the previous generation.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
If things go as usual, we'll be seeing new 360 and PS3 games until at least the end of 2015. I wouldn't sell those last gen systems just yet, that's for sure. (Disregard I never sell my old gaming hardware anyway.)

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
I think major releases are going to stop trickling out about this time next year. I'd predict possibly as soon as this fall that the majority of AAA titles will be focused on next-gen with the pre-E3 season being the last big batch of big 7 gen titles.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
We have around 2 or 3 years left imo.

Then I'll go back to PS2 for 3 years and then buy a next gen console.