Pregnant to the end in fiction

Dickdatduck

Aug 2, 2011
I was just playing The Walking Dead S2 game and it got me wondering. Is there any kind of fiction (TV, Movies, Books, whatever) that has a pregnant woman whose pregnancy is not addressed by the end? By that I mean there is no birth, miscarriage, abortion or anything like that and the woman is still with child by the end of the story or by the end of her time in the story.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Dickdatduck said:
I was just playing The Walking Dead S2 game and it got me wondering. Is there any kind of fiction (TV, Movies, Books, whatever) that has a pregnant woman whose pregnancy is not addressed by the end? By that I mean there is no birth, miscarriage, abortion or anything like that and the woman is still with child by the end of the story or by the end of her time in the story.
For the longest time, it was Bonnie in Family Guy. In fact, when it was ended the first time, it fit the bill to a T.

Unfortunately, they made her give birth before Cleveland jumped sinking Ships...

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Sadly the only example I can think of is the same one as Mr. Mattress. There is a chance there are many more examples that I have seen/read but had forgotten about. It's something I hadn't really thought of before. I shall be keeping my eye out from now on!

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I'm not sure if this would count, but I suppose there's Ayla from Chrono Trigger.
It's not outright stated that she's pregnant, but it's heavily implied during the story and she still goes in to beat robots and world destroying space parasites to death with her bare hands. At the end of it we never see or hear of her giving birth but it's obvious she did since she's an ancient ancestor of Marle.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I believe I have one working example of this, but alluding to it would be a massive spoiler.

Perhaps send me a private message, if you are interested, and I will disclose what I'm thinking of. It is story-related though, as it is used as a cliff-hanger mechanism more than anything - a hint at a potential sequel most likely.

I am assuming you are meaning instances where the story remarks on the pregnancy, as in it is something that exists within the story, rather than a collection of actors who have been pregnant whilst on camera, but the character they are playing is not actually pregnant in the story. These would be a lot more common.

I'm thinking what your after is going to be pretty hard to find. Perhaps a side character in a romantic comedy?

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Fargo? Unless I'm forgetting something, Margie is still pregnant at the end.

The Departed, though she only conceives towards the end of the film, so I'm not sure if it counts. Ditto The Terminator.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Yeah, the ending of a pregnancy is usually used as the finale of a story - life/death/rebirth analogies and all that. Skins had two characters pregnant at various points, but both were resolved in their last episodes.

Pregnancy at the end implying the start of something new, though? The only one I can think of is Bethany in Dogma, because immaculate conception was the only solution to her ruined uterus.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Is this Christa? (I'm yet to start s2) but she was clearly pregnant in S1

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I can sort of think of one, but after researching, there was some badly written miniseries that has the issue addressed in the middle of battle. Since this is also a spoiler, I'll throw tags on
Farscape, Aeryn Sun gets pregnant by the Chriton who later dies
. If you aren't a big science fiction show fan, this probably won't affect anything you would want to watch, and if you are, you've probably seen it by now. So it should be pretty safe, none the less, spoiler tags are up.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Dickdatduck said:
For the longest time, it was Bonnie in Family Guy. In fact, when it was ended the first time, it fit the bill to a T.

Unfortunately, they made her give birth before Cleveland jumped sinking Ships...
What's really funny is that he jumped sinking ships onto a ship that sunk even faster...now he's climbing back on board the original boat. :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Coen brothers sometimes do this in their movies.

Marge Gunderson is pregnant the whole movie. Doesn't give birth by the end.
Maude is said to be carrying Dude's child by the end of the movie.
What's her name is carrying Llewyn's child, wants to have an abortion, then decides against it, doesn't give birth though.