Prepare For the Uprising

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Really not buying this.

Pacific Rim wasn't a film that needed a sequel - there was no hook for one, and I'm not sure how you can expand upon mechs vs. monsters. This looks like more of the same, only a more generic same. Feels like Transformers mixed with Japanese mecha. The Jaegers in the original at least had a sense of weight to them, whereas these look far more sleak and agile. Which makes sense to an extent, given the advances in technology, but again, why did we need this? We're even at the point where we're apparently lifting lines directly from the original as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I am hyped up for but it does raise some question, mainly the Jaeger vs Jeager.

Right, so personal conflict to the point of using a billion dollar mech to fight each other is more important than stoping the Kaju that pose a threat to mankind?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm in!

Really don't have anything more to say than that. You know I love this stuff.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Scarim Coral said:
Right, so personal conflict to the point of using a billion dollar mech to fight each other is more important than stoping the Kaju that pose a threat to mankind?
I got the sense that it was a practice simulation of some kind?

Also, humans being humans, rest assured we'd go back to killing each other after an external threat was removed. Though Jaegers would be very impractical for human x human conflicts.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
While I am hyped up for but it does raise some question, mainly the Jaeger vs Jeager.

Well i'm guessing that after they defeated (or so they thought) the kaju they had a lack of things to beat up with their giant mech suits.

So instead of letting those Jaegers sit idle and collect dust, each superpower that developed them integrate their Jaegers into the military.
Simply put, powerful countries have powerful weapons and are being dicks about it, so they wage war.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hawki said:
Scarim Coral said:

Also, humans being humans, rest assured we'd go back to killing each other after an external threat was removed. Though Jaegers would be very impractical for human x human conflicts.
Jeroenr said:
Scarim Coral said:

Well i'm guessing that after they defeated (or so they thought) the kaju they had a lack of things to beat up with their giant mech suits.

So instead of letting those Jaegers sit idle and collect dust, each superpower that developed them integrate their Jaegers into the military.
Simply put, powerful countries have powerful weapons and are being dicks about it, so they wage war.
Well this is what I think of when I saw that scene

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Looks about as mindlessly boring to sit through as one of the Transformers movies to me, actually.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Hawki said:
Scarim Coral said:

Jeroenr said:
Scarim Coral said:

Well this is what I think of when I saw that scene
Well the trailer didn't radiate with originality, from title (Uprising. really, that was the best they could come up with?) to story.

But it does look good and if you just look for a action flick with bigass robots beating up bigass monsters you will problably leave the cinema entertaint.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Sloppy, weightless CGI is the uncanny valley of blockbusters.

It creeps me out.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Because I have unsavoury compulsions...

And the original film was a bit crap on the drama side. It had an interesting premise though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Giant robots fighting monsters.

Yes. This is what i want to see.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Looks terrible. Boyega looks dumb as fuck trying to be dramatic. The guy's a goofball, let's just face it. Jing Tian is still really hot, though.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
bluegate said:
Looks about as mindlessly boring to sit through as one of the Transformers movies to me, actually.
Pretty much my thoughts. I dunno if I just don't get these sorts of movies, but this didn't really look that great. Sure doesn't look much better than the first, especially in terms of lighting and presence.

McElroy said:
Looks terrible. Boyega looks dumb as fuck trying to be dramatic. The guy's a goofball, let's just face it. Jing Tian is still really hot, though.
If that was the guy at 0:48 in the trailer, I 100% agree. I had to pause and look at that. It looks so dumb. Nobody makes a face like that unless for a joke.

Edit: Also, the trailer music is shit

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Elvis Starburst said:
McElroy said:
Boyega looks dumb as fuck trying to be dramatic. The guy's a goofball, let's just face it.
If that was the guy at 0:48 in the trailer, I 100% agree. I had to pause and look at that. It looks so dumb. Nobody makes a face like that unless for a joke.
Boyega is the narrator and male lead(?). He was Finn in The Force Awakens. But that (0:48) guy just looks like he's taking a big ol' poop.

iamzim101

Feb 22, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Redryhno said:
undeadsuitor said:
I'm disappointed that the Kaiju are back (though there might be more to them than the trailer is revealing)

I really wanted to see a movie based around the ramifications of every world power having access to giant robots and no common enemy to fight

I mean, we could have had some gundam shit going on. granted, the trailer does go into that with clear shots of Jaeger fighting Jaeger so maybe there's more.
It was foreshadowed that the closing of that portal wouldn't be the end of it all though. It was essentially spelled out with "They will just keep coming". I mean, the access to Giant Robots was effectively gone at the end of the first movie too. The hangars were half destroyed and about the only people left were the scientists, the pilots, and a handful of people in the command bunkers. Not really a huge amount of people left that knew how the Jaegars were put together and maintained for it to become Gundam.

Not to mention, it's not like the Jaegars were ever even all that well-designed for Jaegar to world-power engagements to begin with. They're massive sure, but the Australians were the only ones that had anti-personnel adjacent type weapons on-board. Everything else was just big monster punchers. Like what use would 3-arm style or Gypsy's plasma gun have been when you could just launch nukes?
Idk why have tanks when we can launch nukes? Nukes don't invalidate the rest of warfare. While it's true most of the world had given up on jaegers by the start of Pacific rim, though plans don't disappear.

I think there's more to the movie than the trailer is letting on. Those very human made looking skittering robots that fuse the kaiju together at the end dobt seem like the tech that made them in the first movie.
The problem with that is that Jagers are very much a strategic level threat. Tanks are useful at a tactical level to hold ground and support troop movement. There is literally no more escalation after Jagers other than Nuclear and one could easily posit that Jagers and Nuclear weapons are on the same level.
If I had to imagine a world after Pacific rim assume the reason nukes weren't used against the kaijus were that got healed by them the Jagers would be the worlds coolest "port queens". Hardly ever taken out as the immense cost with the per hour running time would constitute very small amounts of the jager equivalent of flight hours. Not to mention they get completely superseded by Nukes in terms of cost and effectiveness. They would be kept around for about a decade or two in case of more kaijus but would have absolutely no merit otherwise other than morale in parades and such.

The thing about mecha in general is that there must be a suspension of belief required or else people don't believe it. Pacific rim worked because it didn't take it self too seriously. Trying to make it serious would just mean people would ask why they didn't just use nukes. Because if you can't hand wave away nuclear weapons with alien monsters the premise doesn't work with any amount of scrutiny.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gross.

They took all the style and substance, all the homage to classic kaiju movies, and all the self-awareness and just scrapped it all in favor of what millennial tweens want, i.e. Transformers and Power Rangers.
Oh totally glad to see the two scientist, you know the absolute worst part of the first movie, have returned when no one else did.
Oh and how great that the big bad of the movie seems to be a Kaiju possessing a Jaeger. And I just love that the Kaiju are swarming in their dozens, so now each fight won't feel like a desperate one-on-one struggle, but an over the top Transformers fight where dozens of painstakingly designed characters die every minute to give the illusion of epicness.

Those Jaegers look too fast, too sleek, too everything. They're supposed to be slow, ponderous giant robots more akin to construction equipment than a Gundam. But no, here we have round-house kicks, spins, flips, probably the splits at one point, I wouldn't put dance moves past them, 'cause Always Sunny, amirite?!

What a disappointment.