Pretty Boys Who Look Like Girls

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Radoh said:
Mcoffey said:
I was hoping for a bit more into the "Why" for effeminate heroes in JRPGs, but this was good too I guess.

I suppose when most Western heroes are usually cut from the same "Grizzled, monosyllabic, white guy" it's fair for Japan to do the same with their preferred style.

Still, in games where the main character is a blank slate like in the Persona series, a character creator or something would be very much welcome. Because the dude in Persona 3 needs to get a damned hair cut.

Seriously just look at the box art for Persona 2:

The one with hearts on her boobs.
Did I win?

Edit: Also upon closer inspection the guy on the left has a lighter in his hand and the Flame persona doesn't have massive mecha boobs.

Massive Mecha Boobs is my Furtive Pygmy cover band.
See! That's what I'm saying! You shouldn't have to look for breasts to know the gender of your character. Unless the character is a transgender, which could, admittedly, be interesting, but I don't think that's what they were going for.
I get that, though admittedly I think you chose a pretty extreme example in Persona Two.
The JRPGs that I'm familiar with are actually much better about sporting proper facial structure than that, and don't fall into the trappings of Macho man dudebros.

Tales of Symphonia, I think you can figure out which is which easily enough.
Resonance of Fate, again pretty easy. Now if only the ending wasn't crap.
And from this we can clearly see that... I forget where I was going with this, so yeah, I guess? Maybe?

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Yeah Symphonia was definitely good about that (As well as just being awesome in general). I guess I might be seeing it more because I'm playing the persona games currently, but it does occur enough to be a trope in japanese games.
Oh it is definitely something that certain Japanese studios take a liking to more than others, there's no doubt about that.

targren

May 13, 2009
Mcoffey said:
See! That's what I'm saying! You shouldn't have to look for breasts to know the gender of your character. Unless the character is a transgender, which could, admittedly, be interesting, but I don't think that's what they were going for.
You never know. It *is* Persona we're talking about here...

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Som no effeminate men unless it is Jun?

(from Happiness! The only reason people remember that game is because him(her?) The technical gender is male, but Jun is transgender. I never figured out which pronoun to use, and I don't want to use "it".)

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008

Surprise.

I have to ask though what is this articles aim? It just seems to finish without really asking anything or discussing anything.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I must say that Soma does look less girly in game in Dawn of Sorrow as compared to Aria of Sorrow, although not on the box-art, which isn't helped much by his full-length coat looking like a dress on the box-art.

D Moness said:
This topic makes me wanna reread or rewatch Loveless (already have a large enough backlog as it is >.<)

<3
Wait...are those guys?

And how am I the first to say: Bridget

EDIT: Lyri, you feckin' ninja!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
saintdane05 said:
Mcoffey said:
Som no effeminate men unless it is Jun?

(from Happiness! The only reason people remember that game is because him(her?) The technical gender is male, but Jun is transgender. I never figured out which pronoun to use, and I don't want to use "it".)
Use her. I have a transexual friend, and she prefers...well...you know, 'her'.

Also, to anyone reading, never refer to a transgendered person as 'it'. They've gone through a hard enough time already, it is just dehumanising.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's weird... I'm annoyed by the fact so many male characters in these games are basically chicks without breasts (exceptions being ones like Bridget which have a story explaining it), but I swing both ways, so I can't help but like them girly types too >_>

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Well honestly i would say the one with the dress (but that is just me, I tend to look at how people are dressed before looking at how someone looks). Although there are some exceptions (see bridget). What is funny is that of that cover art those massive mecha boobs annoy the heck out of me >.<

Megacherv said:
Wait...are those guys?
Technically they are engineered but yes those are guys <3 (it is also the screensaver on my mobile phone).

More on topic about this article, she has written 3 others. I have read them all (or more or less scanned them) it looks/appears to try and poke fun at certain gaming tropes only to me to lacks the humor (aka I do not find it funny at all).

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Ah yes, the 'make-him-pretty' phenomena, also known as Nomura Syndrome.

You can see in this comparison shot that Western Nier and Eastern Nier are two completely different characters when it comes to region release:

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
For me both extremes are not realistic.

One one side we have men who command entire armies... of hairdressers to tend to their hair.

On the other whe have men who saying that they have the emotional range of a spoon would be insulting to spoons.

And just to stir up the pot a little...
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/899

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Argh I hate those formulaic fucking final fantasy faces.
I hate how you can identify the "main character" as the "girly teenager dude babyface with the silly looking clothing".
So much hate. Haaate!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
This article disappointed me greatly.
I thought this was going to be a thought inducing, mind probing discussion about a topic that is of great relevance to me personally.

*leaves dissapointed*

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
This article...I couldn't really stand to read much because it didn't really seem to be talking about anything. I read about Vaan and...he's not a fashionista, he doesn't need hair spray....what's the point of making stuff up? If you're trying to make a case for them, why not use their ACTUAL story to show how they're effective...but maybe I missed it as I skimmed...

I love my Final Fantasy pretty boys. I really do. Squall Leonhart was what got me into JRPGs and especially the Final Fantasy series in general. But that doesn't mean I don't also think Kratos or other macho male characters aren't cool or interesting or attractive. I don't understand all the femmeboy hate.

You know what, how about we get a little of every category? We can have our Vaans, our Nathan Drakes, and our Kratoses.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Ed130 said:
For me both extremes are not realistic.

One one side we have men who command entire armies... of hairdressers to tend to their hair.

On the other whe have men who saying that they have the emotional range of a spoon would be insulting to spoons.

And just to stir up the pot a little...
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/899
That part of the comic with Sten was hilarious.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
When they first started to have females in action games there was a slew of comments like "I bet she will stop and moan when she breaks a nail!" Somewhat misogynistic I know, but I can't help but think things like that when looking at some of the male leads in games today.

For me, the hero should be more concerned about the Bug Bad Evil rather than his stockpile of hair gel.

The short of it; Function over form.