Preview: Dungeon Siege 3

DSK-

May 13, 2010
There were guns (grenade launchers and flamethrowers) in the original Dungeon Siege.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Obsidian does make some fantastic games, after the annoying save bug was ironed out (funny enough, the patch FIXED my saved files (PC version)) of Fallout: NV, the game was a blast to play through, and was more fun and replayable than I found F3 to be, the characters, the colorful environment (thanks to an environment mod) was amazing.

I loved DS and DS2, so i can only hope for the best for DS3.

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
i have been waiting for this game for a while, when i discovered that obsidian not GPG were at the helm, my heart sank a little, but seeing this, has made me happy once again, am glad they're taking it in their own direction because lets face ds2 was good on many levels but i for one didn't think they'd improved a lot from the original, this game is going to cause many a late night for me, and the only thing that could possibly make it better is if it had a queen soundtrack

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
DSK- said:
There were guns (grenade launchers and flamethrowers) in the original Dungeon Siege.
Yes, well, I mean pistols and rifles and whatnot. I don't count a flamethrower as a gun, personally, though others may be of different opinions on that score.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Jaythulhu said:
Loot? As the most important thing? Fuck, I really am an over-the-hill gamer then. Give me a decent story with character development and twists and turns to keep me guessing any day, loot be damned.
Still, should I be trusting obsidian to do something right with this game? As mentioned in the article, they're responsible for Fallout: New Vegas, which not only has the exact same bugs, flaws and memory leaks that TES: Oblivion and Fallout 3 had, but added a very interesting bug that corrupts all your savegames (which has NOT been fixed, I can tell you that from personal experience, not matter what the "patch" logs say).
"Games of the Diablo ilk..." I get what you're saying but your statement is almost invalid because you missed part of a line.

I agree about Obsidian, they just seem to keep taking other companies' successful games and making games that don't quite live up to the original. I didn't have any real bugs with Oblivion or FO3 though.

When I first heard of a Dungeon Siege 3, I was like "YES!" but then when I saw Obsidian was making it I sighed very heavily.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
DSK- said:
Yes, well, I mean pistols and rifles and whatnot. I don't count a flamethrower as a gun, personally, though others may be of different opinions on that score.
Well I mentioned them because I remembered them being in the game - I believe it was the troll dungeon. It's been about 10 years since I played it :D

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
DSK- said:
Susan Arendt said:
DSK- said:
Well I mentioned them because I remembered them being in the game - I believe it was the troll dungeon. It's been about 10 years since I played it :D
Goblin Dungeon. I think the only trolls you fought were in the Forest directly before the Goblin Warrens.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
gelles said:
Only one AI companion? Does this mean you have to choose between a person or a packmule? ARE there packmules?

And I guess playing it as a semi-RTS like the previous two are out?
What was in any way strategic about the original Dungeon Siege? It was just stock standard party-based combat set in a gameworld which was just a huge corridor. Chris Taylor seemed to think that simply by slapping his name all over the box people would think 'Oooh, the guy who made Total Annihilation: this game must have incredibly deep strategy!'

Also I'm going to wait a good three or four months after this game comes out before I think about giving it a look in. I know you too well, Obsidian.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
inb4 someone mentions how KOTOR II single-handedly ruined their childhood, and blaming obsidian for it despite the problems with KOTOR II directly stemming from Lucasarts pushing the release date way forward to meet a holiday release and still being a pretty good game anyway.

It's an Obsidian game, so i'll probably check it out. As long as its less buggy than new vegas I'll be fine.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Its just a shame its not a dungeon siege game.......

The frist game for me was perfect becuse you had to keep to your main class you could do a 2nd class a bit but for the most part it kept you to that main class, the 2nd one was ruined by re spawning it just became just another hack and slash..... I want more DS1 less generic copy crap....

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
DSK- said:
Susan Arendt said:
DSK- said:
Goblin Dungeon. I think the only trolls you fought were in the Forest directly before the Goblin Warrens.
Thanks for putting me right :) <3

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
bushwhacker2k said:
Jaythulhu said:
"Games of the Diablo ilk..." I get what you're saying but your statement is almost invalid because you missed part of a line *snip*
I didn't miss that, I just don't feel that it has any relevance. You're not really suggesting that "in a game of Diablo's ilk", story and character development are completely un-neccessary compared to the hidden number-based mechanic modifiers? If that's the case, we all might as well just punch random numbers in to our calculators and throw them at each other. It'd be cheaper than being a gamer.

Diablo had a reasonably decent story, and Dungeon Siege's was very well written, it's just a shame the game was not quite up to scratch. Then there's clones like Fate and Titan Quest that also have interesting stories to back up the action etc. It's my opinion that "Loot" should never be the most important thing in a game. Loot's supposed to be your reward for completing tasks and progressing through the story.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Jaythulhu said:
bushwhacker2k said:
Jaythulhu said:
"Games of the Diablo ilk..." I get what you're saying but your statement is almost invalid because you missed part of a line *snip*
I didn't miss that, I just don't feel that it has any relevance. You're not really suggesting that "in a game of Diablo's ilk", story and character development are completely un-neccessary compared to the hidden number-based mechanic modifiers? If that's the case, we all might as well just punch random numbers in to our calculators and throw them at each other. It'd be cheaper than being a gamer.

Diablo had a reasonably decent story, and Dungeon Siege's was very well written, it's just a shame the game was not quite up to scratch. Then there's clones like Fate and Titan Quest that also have interesting stories to back up the action etc. It's my opinion that "Loot" should never be the most important thing in a game. Loot's supposed to be your reward for completing tasks and progressing through the story.
Honestly, if you think Diablo was a good game because of it's storyline.... I'm glad, enjoy.

MikoSquiz

Nov 23, 2009
Looks promising, as long as they get rid of that weird graphics glitch that makes big fat bluish-white lines show up all over the place. It's surprising they haven't spotted it yet, it's pretty obvious. Maybe they can't figure out what's causing it.

Turio

Jan 24, 2011
MikoSquiz said:
Looks promising, as long as they get rid of that weird graphics glitch that makes big fat bluish-white lines show up all over the place. It's surprising they haven't spotted it yet, it's pretty obvious. Maybe they can't figure out what's causing it.
Is.... that a joke?

These are effects.

MikoSquiz

Nov 23, 2009
Yes, it's a joke of sorts. In plain speak: I think the effect is hideous and binning it would be a good move.