Preview: Fable 3

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
This game seems less like an RPG title and more like a Sims title.

The menu system does not sound enjoyable.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
It looks really good and I'll probably get it.

In what way will it use Kinect and will it be needed to play the game?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
All I want for F3 to do, above all else, is not borrow from their own setpieces. Like they're running with a standard fantasy 'template'. I hope they deviate from that.
Sounds like they are, but people thought F2 did, too. But when everyone went and played it... It felt the same.

Not that I'm complaining. I LOVE these games.

penthesilea180

Jul 25, 2010
I really didn't mind the menus in Fable II. It was pretty standard page screens, which is what I've come to expect from many RPGs. I'm intrigued to experience the Sanctuary style. I don't know if it will really put me more in touch with my character though if my lady is the only person in the world who can go to this magical realm where all my stuff lives, and I can do it at any time in the game. Seems like falling into your backpack. What if you're being attacked? Can you go to the Sanctuary and warp yourself to a safe area? I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm going to have see this new menu style for myself.

reachforthesky

Jun 13, 2010
Yes, I'm sure taking a trip to a castle, running from room to room to make whatever adjustments you have to, and then popping back into the world will be mush less unintuitive and flow-breaking then hitting start and flipping through menus for a few seconds. Or maybe this will "fix" the problem of menus by making them seem better in comparison to this horrible "solution".

Ham-handed menus are a problem. The solution is to make them simpler, or make it easy to avoid using them, not to teleport the player to a more interactive version of the menus that ultimately serves the same purpose.

Edit: just re-read those last few paragraphs, what's this bullshit about "earning the ability to buy a house"? Is that some special skill possessed only by the most elite of warriors? Is there some Real-Estate-skill tree we'll need to earn experience points for? This is starting to look like Runescape...

Wolfham

Sep 7, 2010
Hi all,

Firstly I have to be very careful about what I say as I am directly related to this game in some capacity so I cannot reveal any details. I just wanted to make a comment re:the sanctuary. It seems that people have been confused on several forums about what it actually is.

I can confirm that it has been throughly tested by gamers, it is easier, quicker and more user friendly than the fable 2 lists. It really adds ease and enjoyability to customisation/questing. No you don't have a tedious load time everytime you visit it, press start, and you are there.. press start again and you are back in the game just like a pause menu should be, only it is not a menu, it is a suite of rooms as mentioned in this article, not a castle, not a vast expanse that takes forever to traverse.

I would also like to add that I was quite disappointed with Fable2. Not to the extent where I thought it was a horrendous games, because it wasn't. It just lacked a lot of features that gamers wanted or did them badly which actually dulled the bits they did well.

So as a bit of reassurance, from someone who is a gamer and not a casual player and someone who knows what they are talking about more than you could possibly imagine :p, that the third installment is a huge improvement. But I stress to all who read these comment boards, don't get strung up into various peoples opinions on other games or what it "might" be like, because essentially they are just like you, they haven't seen it and they don't know what they are talking about. If you are like me and had a bad experience with 2, don't write this off.

Wait for a demo, or rent the game and see for yourself. Read reviews and previews from people who have had "behind closed doors" time with the title (like the author of this article) and form your own opinion.

I am really looking forward to seeing how people react when they get to play it for the first time. I wish I could say more to put your minds at ease, but I really can't.

Happy gaming all in whatever you play!

Shawn112

Aug 4, 2010
I gave up on fable when they decided not to release number 2 for the pc.

And while I could be wrong on this one, i'm betting that we will never see number 3.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
The menus in Fable 2 were awful. You select something and then you have to go through all the menus again just to select the other thing next to it. If they just took out that menu resetting then it would have been so much better. This sanctuary thing sounds interesting. My worries were that it would be too large which would cause ridiculous load times and time walking inbetween rooms but you said those weren't issues so it sounds pretty epic actually. Especially the fact that you get John Cleese walking around with you. You know what else sucked about the Fable 2 menus? When you pressed start to go the menus, the game would take like 5 seconds and then say "scene paused" and you're like "wtf? I want to see the damn inventory!" Annoying, hope they fix the horrendous load times between locations too.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Shycte said:
It looks really good and I'll probably get it.

In what way will it use Kinect and will it be needed to play the game?
I believe that they axed the Kinectivity. If they do include it, I'm fairly sure that it will be a bonus and not required. I could be wrong though.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
Was this article a parody or something? That's the vibe I got from it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I could be wrong, but I heard there is no Kinect function what so ever. They are looking into Kinect for a latter DLC.

Fable so far hasn't been able to tell a great complete story, hoping they get the story right with this one. Oh and skip the prison part that was so horrible in the first two.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
VondeVon said:
Zelda chickens?

That moment when my brutal attacks resulted in an unstoppable wave of chicken-violence scarred me.
Yes, Zelda chickens. They go all Hitchcock on you, they do.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Baldr said:
I could be wrong, but I heard there is no Kinect function what so ever. They are looking into Kinect for a latter DLC.

Fable so far hasn't been able to tell a great complete story, hoping they get the story right with this one. Oh and skip the prison part that was so horrible in the first two.
Yeah, what was the point? Why not just a cut and some block letters "20 yrz latrz" or whatever. I mean, it was just one veeery loooong interactive cutscene. Run up stairs, talk to guy, see cutscene, run up stairs, see cutscene ....

Not to speak of the ending(s).

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Preview: Fable 3

Fable 3 solves a problem you may not even have realized its predecessors had.

Read Full Article
remember the joyful mini game of Fable 1 called: " Chicken Kickin' "

well, "Chicken Licken or Chicken Little is an old cumulative tale about a chicken (or a hare in an early version) who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase "The sky is falling" has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent." according to some wiki page

shame on me for searching through wikipedia...

now that i remember in Fable there was a sick boy in Bowerstone who said nonsense stuff like matrix references or "the sky is falling"

i think the investigation is now over!

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Will they do any beta testing for this game before releasing it, or will they just ship it out like they did with Fable 2?