Preview: Global Agenda

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Artemus_Cain said:
So it's Team Fortress 2 with a jetpack, space marines, and no humor (I'm guessing).

...no thanks.
No humour? I beg to differ:
These devs are cool I say.

Anyway, I've been following this game for a while now, it looks incredibly fun and really quite original. Yes it incorporates elements from quite a number of games, but be honest; almost anything we're seeing nowadays have we seen before in one way or another in a previous game. I have high hopes for this game.

And well, of course, jetpacks. Can't argue with that.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
chessmasterhex said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
chessmasterhex said:
Once again, John shows us that every game must be exactly like Bejeweled Twist in order to be any good. Oh my.
Yes. Exactly like Bejeweled Twist. I'm not going to even consider playing Global Agenda until they add a color matching minigame in the middle of combat that involves me rotating little gems around in order to defeat my opponents.
Now THAT'S an idea for a game.
puzzle pirates =]

Slinker07

Jan 14, 2009
AquaAscension said:
Yeah... my first thought has been ninja'd several times, but this game reminds me of Tribes. Which, if memory serves me right (though I can't quote where the memory originates), had a rumor about an additional Tribes game being developed by individuals. Tribes was pretty much my childhood. Something so comforting in the sound of a disc launcher.
Indeed, Tribes 2 is still one of the best mp games ever for me. It's shame that the latest game in the series didn't really became that good. Tribes would really do well in todays graphic.

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
The whole time I read that article I was sitting there thinking how the hell can you not mention Tribes. Seriously though, awesome game is awesome, or so my sources say.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It screams Section 8. Jet packs and not too distant future.

OT: I was dissapointed by Section 8, a game like this, so I might. But this promises much more

quiqly

Dec 16, 2009
Why is this game third person only? That kind of sucks. Anyhoo, Its too bad. A good Tribes mod on it might be pretty good. Actually can we just get a modern successor to Tribes. That was THE ultimate jetpack oriented team based class game. If you think using jetpacks in games like this or others is exciting, you've never known the thrill of a fast paced skirmish chase jetting and skiing in Tribes. None of the new games compare. Even with all the goodies and gimmicks.

Ederbora

Dec 7, 2008
Very fun game if you played tribes you will like this been in beta for a bit now and i am in one of the top beta clans also the devs are very cool

Check out http://www.cyberneticpunks.com/ for a good GA community

quiqly

Dec 16, 2009
In Tribes (Tribes 2 especially) there was tons of stuff going on and having first person never hurt the experience at all. Same with Planetside. It has promise but it should have had the ability to switch between first and third. Part of what makes games like these great are that you are immersed in the battle, the environment around you. Thats better felt in first person. Third person immediately gives it a more console type of feel.

Jan 23, 2009
If ye all like tribes so much, go back and play it online again and see how good it is. It really really doesnt hold up online anymore. This looks more playable. (Although I usually dont like games where you are a bullet sponge.)

Are they handing out Beta Keys or is it only for those who pre-order?

Chinchy

Aug 7, 2009
This game is meh I have been playing this game since alpha and I'll tell you this when the idea of the game was there it was a great idea but this game is no different than playing MW2 with a monthly fee save your money this game is a big disappointment and if the damn loader would ever load the video I would watch the preview lol

escapefish

Nov 9, 2009
looks really fun to play,
BUT subscribtion based comeon!
i can get tf2 for 20 bucks
why should i MONTHLY for basicly the same

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Subscription is not neccesary? And there's jetpacks? I think i'm gonna buy it - or at least download the trial version.

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
Kollega said:
Subscription is not neccesary? And there's jetpacks? I think i'm gonna buy it - or at least download the trial version.
Yeah but if you don't pay the subscription you miss all the agency vs. agency gameplay. I think they just stick you in the PvE and some deathmatches or did I read that wrong on their site?

eoswins

Dec 16, 2009
I'm in closed beta, and I can tell you this, this game is a helluva lot of fun. The idea is like tf2 but it is nowhere near as plain and simple as tf2. let me tell you there are a lot of features in this game that are going to blow hardcore gaming out of the water..cant wait till its release this video doesnt even show you some of the cooler things in the game which i cant talk about because its still in closed beta..anyways, yea, love this game..and yea if you dont subscribe you still get access to pub matches but if you want to compete with your agency(clan) youll need to subscribe.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
escapefish said:
looks really fun to play,
BUT subscribtion based comeon!
i can get tf2 for 20 bucks
why should i MONTHLY for basicly the same
The subscription is only necessary for the massive Agency vs Agency PvP MMO part of the game- everything else is a one-time purchase.

Guys, I can tell you first-hand, this game is badass. I've been to HiRez's studio, I've met Chaz and some of the other guys there, and they are absolutely awesome.

The game is amazing. The classes all compliment/detriment each other really really well and no one class is hands-down better than any other. It all relies on skill, 110%. There's a lot of pretty neat customization, too, from color schemes on your armor and whatnot. I'm definitely buying this when it comes out and I think anyone that's a shooter fan should too.

elucid

Dec 17, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
If ye all like tribes so much, go back and play it online again and see how good it is. It really really doesnt hold up online anymore. This looks more playable. (Although I usually dont like games where you are a bullet sponge.)

I beg to differ on that. Tribes 1 has aged, and perhaps it struggles, however Tribes 2 more than holds up to current team based MPFPS. Perhaps not with the graphical sheen of more recent titles, but then again, graphics are not the be all and end all.

I still play Tribes 2 with a group of lads I played with back when I was a lad, and believe me, no game since has given me the rush I get from smashing through the opposing side's base, grabbing the flag, and the the subsequent cat and mouse sprint to capture it. Or the satisfaction of nailing a 300m+ MA kill with a disc launcher. Nothing to this day has given me the same satisfaction, and I enjoy the game all the more in full detail, full screen, 16xFSAA, 1920x1200 than I did playing it @ 1024x768 at moderate levels when it was released.

Tribes 2 set the benchmark for team based multiplayer FPS all those years ago, and I've yet to see a game completely meet that benchmark. CTF has never been matched in over a decade.

As good as GA looks, even with the inclusive jetpacks, it won't be good enough without large maps, and skiing (admittedly this was originally a bug exploited by so many, that rather being patched, was intergrated into the game as well as becoming canon to the game universe - which to me is a very progressive form of game development). What's the point of soaring up to reign death from above, when you're simply going to be stuck running at a snails pace?

Putting it plainly, I'm still anxiously awaiting an MPFPS that has the crack-like rush and addictiveness that Tribes seduced me with when I was younger. even though games have progressed leaps and bounds in narrative, atmosphere and graphical polish, at the core many are about as innovative as the latest and greatest door handle. Evolution is the preference of all developers currently, because a revolution isn't financially viable in terms of profits.

Jan 23, 2009
elucid said:
Sneaklemming said:

I beg to differ on that. Tribes 1 has aged, and perhaps it struggles, however Tribes 2 more than holds up to current team based MPFPS. Perhaps not with the graphical sheen of more recent titles, but then again, graphics are not the be all and end all.

I still play Tribes 2 with a group of lads I played with back when I was a lad, and believe me, no game since has given me the rush I get from smashing through the opposing side's base, grabbing the flag, and the the subsequent cat and mouse sprint to capture it. Or the satisfaction of nailing a 300m+ MA kill with a disc launcher. Nothing to this day has given me the same satisfaction, and I enjoy the game all the more in full detail, full screen, 16xFSAA, 1920x1200 than I did playing it @ 1024x768 at moderate levels when it was released.

Tribes 2 set the benchmark for team based multiplayer FPS all those years ago, and I've yet to see a game completely meet that benchmark. CTF has never been matched in over a decade.

As good as GA looks, even with the inclusive jetpacks, it won't be good enough without large maps, and skiing (admittedly this was originally a bug exploited by so many, that rather being patched, was intergrated into the game as well as becoming canon to the game universe - which to me is a very progressive form of game development). What's the point of soaring up to reign death from above, when you're simply going to be stuck running at a snails pace?

Putting it plainly, I'm still anxiously awaiting an MPFPS that has the crack-like rush and addictiveness that Tribes seduced me with when I was younger. even though games have progressed leaps and bounds in narrative, atmosphere and graphical polish, at the core many are about as innovative as the latest and greatest door handle. Evolution is the preference of all developers currently, because a revolution isn't financially viable in terms of profits.
I havn't played Global Agenda so I guess I'll take your points on board. I played tribes next recently, and honestly the only times I get any fun is on the server which is modded to have a bajillion new weapons n some new vehicles.

I like the openness of tribes, but it really takes too much to down someone in that game. I enjoy UT2k4 a little more; esp. on the (again) modded servers with all the custom Onslaught maps. Oh man the tank battle maps are truly epic.