Preview: Magic the Gathering Tactics

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Preview: Magic the Gathering Tactics

Mashing up a CCG with tactical combat is a brilliant idea.

Read Full Article

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I was sold on the idea until I heard that it's exactly as expensive as buying REAL cards and you're stuck buying booster packs until you can get the cards you want. I'd much rather pay for a game that lets you earn cards inside the game itself rather than a "free" game that is unplayable unless you start funneling your money into it.

Desrali T Bear

Mar 19, 2010
Senaro said:
I was sold on the idea until I heard that it's exactly as expensive as buying REAL cards...
Ugh, really? This is exactly why I never got into MTG Online back in the day. I'm not going to blow $4 on a "virtual" booster pack.

Lame...

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I'll just be honest... this sounds freakin' great to me. A tactics-style game with all the fun of Magic, and NO MANA SCREW? Sign me the hell up.

I hope it can set itself apart from other tactics games, though, otherwise it'll only bounce around the Magic fanbase.

EDIT: Yeah, the $4 thing sounds lame. Hopefully, there'll be other ways to pick up boosters.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
If there's a way around spending just as much on virtual boosters as I would on real ones? DO WANT.

Otherwise, no computer-generated crinkly sound can replace the real crinkly sound of opening a fresh booster. Especially when you see that mythic rare...

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I wasn't sure about this, until I found out how much it would cost. Now I'm definitely not interested.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
They should just do this like every other card video game. Pay 30-40 bucks for the game itself, then earn in-game money from beating missions and multiplayer matches and whatnot, then let us spend the in-game money on cards.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I love playing Magic, that is I loved playing Magic up until my friends all decided they had better things to do than our weekly games. I'm going to give this a look regardless, but I'm really hoping that you can earn cards in game rather than be forced to buy boosters, even if it is at a slower rate. It'd be a slightly less appealing, but cheaper method of gather powerful spells, I mean I already have thousands of MtG cards that I've spent too much money on, I'd hate for this to be in a similar vein.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Senaro said:
I was sold on the idea until I heard that it's exactly as expensive as buying REAL cards and you're stuck buying booster packs until you can get the cards you want. I'd much rather pay for a game that lets you earn cards inside the game itself rather than a "free" game that is unplayable unless you start funneling your money into it.
I agree with you in a way, but since you don't have to pay for the actual game you've got a spare $60 to chuck money into it if you think it's worth it, it's basically a demo, though I'm sure the campaign will end up being worth some cards (though perhaps only basic ones). Personally I despise MMOs because they have you buying the game for $50+ just so you've earned the 'privilege' of paying the $15 monthly subscription, but that's just me going off topic.

Truth be told this looks a lot like heroes to me, takeaway the annoying building up an army bit. (Don't get me wrong, heroes is a freakin' awesome series, and the building is nice at first, but it doesn't take much tact and just means that you're generally spending half the game waiting so you've got all your units ready to go and the real game can begin, though maybe that's just me)

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I like playing Magic: the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers exactly because everyone is on an even playing field. Sure, you can't customize the decks as much as I'd like to, but there's still plenty of room to play around with the unlockable cards. Just because you can add 20+ cards to your deck doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Now with the addition of these virtual booster packs (I'm positively certain other Developers have done this before with similar games) it looks like I'm going to stick with MtG Duels of the Planeswalkers. I got something like 3000 - 4000 MtG cards in my basement dating all the way back to the 6th expansion set titled "Ice Age" released in 1995. I'm not going to waste my money on virtual cards. No thanks, I'll take a pass.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
The idea sounds great. From what i read it can totally work. . . . it could be a rly big thing.
The buying of cards is a bit scary tho. . . . if you quit thea real Magic at least you get to keep the cards....but if done right. . .who knows.

What i dont understand is, . the game is MtG franchise. . .but in the article it was mentioned that there were few tips of the hat towards Magic fans...shouldnt all cards from the TCG be put into the online version...kinda makes sense :O

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Cards are now called spells? SERIOUSLY?!

On the other hand, spellbooks kinda makes more sense than libraries, at least size wise.

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
So this is basically Heroes of Might and Magic and/or Disciples minus the world map, economics and travelling plus MTG universe, spells and what not. May be nice, may be not. Time will show.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Maybe they could do a thing where when you buy a booster in real life, you could scan some sort of code into the online database and have it show up in your "game" spellbook... And land could show up as some other card, determined randomly from some set list?

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Tonimata said:
Weren't they all originally spells anyway? Like creature cards were actually "summon this creature" as opposed to the creature itself.

OT: I'm following the bandwagon here. Sounds like a great idea, but 4 bucks for 10 cards? Heck no. 2 dollars, maybe.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Meh, Id rather have subscription based system, then buy two sets of cards, virtual and real.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
MTG + Tactics? GIMMEE!

The only way this could generate more gamelust in me would be if it included karoke and foosball as game play elements and had tits and weed for prizes.

A boy can dream.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
MisterShine said:
Tonimata said:
Weren't they all originally spells anyway? Like creature cards were actually "summon this creature" as opposed to the creature itself.

OT: I'm following the bandwagon here. Sounds like a great idea, but 4 bucks for 10 cards? Heck no. 2 dollars, maybe.
I'm pretty sure the original term was "spell card", but you've got the general idea: all the non-land cards represnt spells cast by a planeswalker to produce an effect.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I get my magic fix with Magic Online(Having 11k+ cards available pretty much anywhere I can get internet, plus the ability to join games whenever, plus if I really feel like getting a new set to trade in for real cards), and I get my tactics fix with Heroclix(Which is also a stupid expensive collectible game). I don't really need another collectible game anytime soon.