Preview: Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
SaunaKalja said:
I'm always suspicious about adding firearms to a mostly melee-based game. Like how PVK is ruined.
This is my major objection to all these rumours floating around about Assassin's Creed 3 being set in either of the world wars. Truly effective firearms (as opposed to the rare early pistols in Brotherhood) would utterly ruin the melee aspects of combat. Hell, even in Brotherhood's multiplayer the gun is annoying, and can almost totally negate many of the game's best features like the rooftop running. Luckily it gives shit points so hardly anyone uses it, but if someone cared more about being a cock than winning the match I think the pistol is the best way to do it. Even that has excruciatingly long cooldown - imagine how much worse a machine gun or repeating rifle would be.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
M&B in HD graphics and realistic physics /drools

there is a good chance i'll buy this expansion just because i had so much damn fun with warband.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I'm going to miss my massive Sarranid Mamluke charges, but I am looking forward to a game set in such a underused time of history and how that period effects gameplay. Gunpowder changed warfare, but this is that interesting intervening time where they were not effective enough to completely eliminate older tactics.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Isnt this just English release of 3 yeard old game ? It was released in Poland in 2009, and its based on old (pre-Warband) engine, with no multiplayer support.

Or was it made from scratch ?

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Johnnyallstar said:
There were already guns in modulation packs, but I also love this game in a somewhat disturbing manner. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time, when M&B and M&B:Warband were 85% off on steam :D

Nice to see they are moving forward, but hopefully they do it well.
Most people playing M&B have an odd fondness of it. Its a very special game tbh.

Shatari

Mar 4, 2010
What about the guns being overpowered? Will a force armed only with swords, axes and bows be quickly decimated?
Well, given the time frame, I'd say only losing 10% of your forces wouldn't be that off putting.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
SaunaKalja said:
I bought M&B early during the beta and played it disturbingly much, but I've never tried Warband. I'm always suspicious about adding firearms to a mostly melee-based game. Like how PVK is ruined. People who don't see it as a problem always present the "Well yeah but if you get close to them, they're dead!"-argument. There's the "if" in that sentence, meaning there's a propability of you dying before you even have a chance of fighting back. Dying to something like that, even if your team wins the battle in the end, doesn't make for good and fun gameplay.
Two words..

Rhodok Sharpshooters.

I mean seriously, these guys may as well have guns. Take a whole force of them and then watch your enemy's puny wooden shields disintegrate under a hail of ridiculously powerful steel crossbow bolts, shortly before the Rhodoks pull out their melee weapons and big-ass shields and maul the survivors.

I don't see how guns would be considerably different, barring a longer reload time and possibly more effect on armour.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Guns? In my Warband?

Its more likely than you think...

OT: Well...I dunno. See, Guns, too me, tend too add certain...aspects of a game. i use the peasant/Knight example.

A Knight trains all his life in the arts of war with traditional mounted combat.

A peasant armed with a rifle spends a a few hours training.

That knight could have spent his whole life in training and fighting, but if that peasant gets a shot off him, all that armor and training won't do him much good. I suppose ill have too wait and see just HOW much of an effect guns have on the game.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
The idea of guns makes me nervous in MnB. It strikes a pretty careful balance between ranged and melee at the moment, and the slightest tip in said balance could leave 80% of the gear obsolete. We'll have to see.

Also, Woo, 1000th post!

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
Hearing that this was going to be "real world based" I was sorta 'meh', then i saw the trailer for the movie itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coXnY-Yx0YE

Now that is something I could sink my teeth into! Looking forward to this most definitely.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
evilthecat said:
Two words..

Rhodok Sharpshooters.
Yeah, siege crossbows might as well have been firearms.

Kelethor said:
OT: Well...I dunno. See, Guns, too me, tend too add certain...aspects of a game. i use the peasant/Knight example.

A Knight trains all his life in the arts of war with traditional mounted combat.

That knight could have spent his whole life in training and fighting, but if that peasant gets a shot off him, all that armor and training won't do him much good. I suppose ill have too wait and see just HOW much of an effect guns have on the game.
Here the thing though, that's not a completely accurate portrayal of what's really going on, because it removes every element but weapons and the training to use them. An untrained peasant is still not drilled for battle. Musket or not, when a cavalry charge is barreling down on you - a group of peasants is going to break and run.

What really did in the knight wasn't the peasant with the musket but it was a proper arquebuser or musketeer, and even then it was more of a logistics problem. It took much longer to train and replace a mounted cavalry than it did another infantrymen.

That said, cavalry were used to varying degrees of success until the 1920s-1930s, when most nations started converting their cavalry to mechanized. At this point though most cavalry were using dragoon tactics, mounted infantrymen who used the horses to quickly maneuverer around the battle field, who would then dismount to engage and mount again to fall back. This was effective in that cavalry were often given superior weapons, like repeaters in the American Civil War, allowing you to quickly mass fire on flanks or temporarily fill holes until reinforcements could be called up.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Slycne said:
evilthecat said:
Two words..

Rhodok Sharpshooters.
Yeah, siege crossbows might as well have been firearms.

Kelethor said:

Here the thing though, that's not a completely accurate portrayal of what's really going on, because it removes every element but weapons and the training to use them. An untrained peasant is still not drilled for battle. Musket or not, when a cavalry charge is barreling down on you - a group of peasants is going to break and run.

What really did in the knight wasn't the peasant with the musket but it was a proper arquebuser or musketeer, and even then it was more of a logistics problem. It took much longer to train and replace a mounted cavalry than it did another infantrymen.

That said, cavalry were used to varying degrees of success until the 1920s-1930s, when most nations started converting their cavalry to mechanized. At this point though most cavalry were using dragoon tactics, mounted infantrymen who used the horses to quickly maneuverer around the battle field, who would then dismount to engage and mount again to fall back. This was effective in that cavalry were often given superior weapons, like repeaters in the American Civil War, allowing you to quickly mass fire on flanks or temporarily fill holes until reinforcements could be called up.
That...sounds surprisingly effective. You make a good point. I suppose will just have to wait and see what unfolds. also, Yeah, Rhodok Crossbows could take down a tank.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Lord_Kristof said:
I'm not sure if it's the same exact game, but still it seems strange... Is TaleWorlds re-releasing the same game, or borrowing the idea from another company or what?
Dana22 said:
Isnt this just English release of 3 yeard old game ? It was released in Poland in 2009, and its based on old (pre-Warband) engine, with no multiplayer support.

Or was it made from scratch ?
I believe this is an updated version, with the warband engine and even more features (like a take all loot button).