Prey 2 Details Reveal a Very Un-Prey-Like Game

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Here, let me pick up all those names you dropped.

Seriously, though, when all a rep can talk about is how it's going to be like this game, and this game, and this game, I get a little worried. Cherry-picking ideas from other (probably better) games just leads to a half-assed title that has little going for it (see Darksiders). I'm not holding out much hope for this.

Edit: Oh, and the so-little-faith-in-our-product-we-have-to-tie-it-into-a-preexisting-franchise? Yeah, that screams quality.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Oh come on! I've been anxiously waiting five years for this game and this is what they come up with? I don't mind changes in game-play as much, but I would have been happy with them at least keeping the atmosphere, main character and story intact. The the Native American mythology was one of the things that made the game interesting and different from everything else. And some of the mind bending portal stuff was really amazing when the game first came out.

From this it sounds like they're removing everything I loved about the first one. I've never been this disappointed in news of a sequel before.

I'm shuddering at the thought of what they're going to do to the soundtrack. The music alone was one of the reasons Prey became the first game I got for my 360 that I absolutely loved.

[youtube=fzsqYLiW68c

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
DOS4GW said:
So it's Prey minus everything that made Prey interesting.
My thoughts exactly =/ the original Prey was, and still is, a blast, and one of the most original FPSs I've ever played, even if it did live off of cheesiness (an awesome cheesiness, though).

I'm really worried that this is just going to be lame. Which sucks, 'cause the teaser was awesome.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
teh_Canape said:
then again, Quake 2 was the same case that it was only a sequel by name

and we know how awesome the game was and that it was the only one to truly surpass the original one

so I'll be looking forward to this one
Ya but that was when devs knew what they were doing, these days all they know how to make are watered down clones.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Doesn't sound very Prey, but it does sound fucking awesome.

If they do it right, that is.

Thwarted

Sep 10, 2009
I'm getting a real far cry 2 vibe from this. sequel in name only with an open world conversion.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
chemicalreaper said:
It sounds like it could be good. I mean, they're taking inspiration from the right places! (All of the games they mentioned are pretty good.)

Unfortunately, this feels like it could end up like Far Cry to Far Cry 2: broken mechanics, boring gameplay, and just generally not enjoyable.

On the other hand, Prey 2 might prove us all wrong, and might be an amazing open world game that gives Grand Theft Auto a run for their money... but that might be a bit optimistic.

(Honestly, I was not really a fan of the first game.[footnote]To be perfectly honest, the only reason I picked up the first 'Prey' was because it boasted a four hour score written by Jeremy Soule... and even that was disappointing.[/footnote] I found it boring and I couldn't have cared any less about the main characters. So maybe taking this route will actually lead to a good game that's worth $60.)
It will just be Oblivion with Aliens.

Think about it:

It will be released by Bethesda.
The Open World is there.
The npcs that will give you side quests are there.
The merchants from which you will buy armors and weapons are there.
You will loot corpses.
Instead of having spiritual abilities 'cause you're an indian,you will get them by buying them from special npcs. "Mage's Guild"
It won't have multiplayer.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If they managed to make all those promises come true and work well, then this game will be amazing. I must say though, if I was a fan of the original Prey, I would be steaming mad right now. I hate games that end on a cliffhanger, and then the sequel has nothing to do with anything. F.E.A.R. 2 almost suffered my wrath because of this, but they did a well enough job tying the stories together, and now that F.E.A.R. 3 is going back to the character(s) from the first game, I'm happy.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Tank207" post="7.272072.10486782 said:
Oh come on! I've been anxiously waiting five years for this game and this is what they come up with? I don't mind changes in game-play as much, but I would have been happy with them at least keeping the atmosphere, main character and story intact. The the Native American mythology was one of the things that made the game interesting and different from everything else. And some of the mind bending portal stuff was really amazing when the game first came out.

From this it sounds like they're removing everything I loved about the first one. I've never been this disappointed in news of a sequel before.

I'm shuddering at the thought of what they're going to do to the soundtrack. The music alone was one of the reasons Prey became the first game I got for my 360 that I absolutely loved.

Pretty much this.

The first time I saw footage of the first Prey, I was pretty excited to see stuff of this quality on the (back then) next gen systems. I enjoyed the game a lot when it came out and I certainly was looking forward to the sequel.

BUT, maybe this is the first time I'm dissapointed by the sequel when I even haven't got the chance to play it. I mean, it would've been perfectly fine if they called the game differently and call it a spiritual succesor, or an entirely new IP for that matter.

For now, I'm VERY exceptical right now, not to mention dissapointed.

yo mato

Mar 18, 2011
just by looking at the caracter under the prey 2 logo, one can tell that this game may be doomed to mediocrity. I mean just look at the guy, another cookie cutter bad ass with an armor and futuristic guns.

Hell, I even bet he is bald.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Yeah, this makes no sense. I mean, it actually sounds like a cool game, as it's blending a lot of features that I enjoy, but who knows how well they'll actually work? And why are they including Prey at all if it doesn't at least have the gravity-switching mechanics of the first? That was, like, the whole point. I really enjoyed the first game, so I have no idea why it is that this is basically going to be a completely different game with nothing more than a few token nods.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Far Cry 2, Command&Conquer: Generals and now Prey 2.

Stop using famous/well-known names to promote your game! Even if the game turned out to be good, people will still complain!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, the game's barely announced and we already know this: It's going to suck.

Very, very rare is the in-name-only sequel that's actually any good. If it were it wouldn't need the name, shame.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Neverhoodian said:
You know, it's bad enough when your average poster drops spoilers without caring, but one of the news staff? Come on man, 2006 isn't exactly ancient history. Good thing I wasn't interested in the game, or I might have raged a bit.
Whatsamatta, ya got sand in your vag portal?

(Oh come on, lighten up.)

Seriously, I think five years is a sufficient window for spoilers. Maybe it'd be different if this was a huge event that was still culturally relevant, but come on, we're talking about Prey. If you ain't played it by now, you obviously don't care enough to get too worked up about spoilers.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Terrible, because I actually really liked Prey and the story of it. Well hoping this one turns out just as good as the first.